My First Gun Recommendations

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: My First Gun Recommendations

Post by MacLaren »

MattM68 wrote:So I think I decided. :) I think I'm going to build an AR. I've shot my dads ARs a bunch of times, and I love tinkering with things, so this seems like a fun project. Any suggestions?

Matt
A Semi-Automatic High-Powered Rifle, is a heckuva first gun. My advice: Proceed with extreme caution.
Of course, that would be my advice with any gun period.
Seriously though, SAFETY IS EVERYTHING!
Please learn all about it, and have someone like your dad with you at all times. SAFETY....
paladin

10 Reasons to "pull the trigger" on a Ruger GP100

Post by paladin »

I think a Stainless Ruger GP100 with a 4in barrel would be a good first gun

Because they are:

i. rugged & heavily built

ii. versatile...can chamber .357, .38 special, and +P ammo...can be fired single or double action

iii. reliable...semiautos are great, but when the chips are down & maybe some other loved one has to use your gun...well, wheelguns are very intuitive for anyone to use.

iv. made by an OUTSTANDING American company

v. a very good value-- not expensive (relative to other handguns) & easy to sell if you need to get liquid...most any gunhound will buy a reasonably priced GP100.

vi. very comfortable & ergonomic factory grips and serviceable sights

vii. comparatively easy to maintain

viii. easy to find parts & aftermarket add-ons due to their perennial appeal

ix. accurate...at least my 2 are...and I haven't read anywhere about widespread accuracy issues

x. Lastly, GP100's are bada**...face it, revolvers ARE timeless and Ruger's itieration of the .357 wheelgun is even admired by S&W purists...everyone needs a couple...go ahead & get yours NOW
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

10/22 is a great first gun. Good for learning, and always useful.

I own a lot of guns at the moment. If I could keep only one it would be my Ruger Scout rifle.
Archimedes

Re: 10 Reasons to "pull the trigger" on a Ruger GP100

Post by Archimedes »

paladin wrote:I think a Stainless Ruger GP100 with a 4in barrel would be a good first gun

Because they are:

i. rugged & heavily built

ii. versatile...can chamber .357, .38 special, and +P ammo...can be fired single or double action

iii. reliable...semiautos are great, but when the chips are down & maybe some other loved one has to use your gun...well, wheelguns are very intuitive for anyone to use.

iv. made by an OUTSTANDING American company

v. a very good value-- not expensive (relative to other handguns) & easy to sell if you need to get liquid...most any gunhound will buy a reasonably priced GP100.

vi. very comfortable & ergonomic factory grips and serviceable sights

vii. comparatively easy to maintain

viii. easy to find parts & aftermarket add-ons due to their perennial appeal

ix. accurate...at least my 2 are...and I haven't read anywhere about widespread accuracy issues

x. Lastly, GP100's are bada**...face it, revolvers ARE timeless and Ruger's itieration of the .357 wheelgun is even admired by S&W purists...everyone needs a couple...go ahead & get yours NOW
That is as good advice as you will ever get. The GP100 is a perfect first gun. My first gun was a Colt King Cobra in 357 with a 6 inch barrel.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My first pistol was a Ruger Security/speed six. The predecessor to the GP 100.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dang. Now I'm going to have to go buy a GP100. I only one one revolver (Ruger LCR), and you guys are making me want another one.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I always loved the S&W 586/686 model.
Im sure the GP100 is what everyone says it is.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If a revolver is the first gun you seek, I'd echo the GP100.

I'd recommend that you get at least a 4" barrel to avoid concerns about recoil, sight-radius, and four-legged threats in the Lower48. Get a CCW later...

I sold my 3" in favor of a 5" (a Davidson exclusive) and think I now have a just-right all-around handgun. Indeed, in cost-benefit calculations, I see it right up there with an old-school Remington 870.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
paladin

Post by paladin »

TomAiello wrote:Dang. Now I'm going to have to go buy a GP100. I only one one revolver (Ruger LCR), and you guys are making me want another one.
You're welcome...just doin my job...

My second job is pitching Spyderco's on the Ruger Forum ;)
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

paladin wrote:My second job is pitching Spyderco's on the Ruger Forum ;)
That's funny. I just pitched the Maniago Spyderco's
to the Italophiles on the Moto Guzzi forum.
What Knife Should a Guzzi Rider Carry?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

No need to pitch Ruger generally to me. I was anti-Ruger for a long time for political reasons having to do with their founder's stance on standard capacity magazines. But with the company now in hands of people whose politics are more in line with my own, I've become much more of a fan (although I admit I have always had at least one 10/22).

As I said, if I could have only one firearm for the rest of my life, it would be my Ruger Scout Rifle. Simple, rugged, accurate, reliable and in a common but effective caliber.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

So I ended up getting a 10/22! :D Thanks everyone for the help!

Matt
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Great choice! Enjoy the gun, treat it right and it will last a lifetime. Hopefully ammo becomes more available for it soon.

Dan
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Great choice indeed! The 10/22 is perhaps one of the best .22 rifles for modding out. Enjoy that new shootin' iron!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I just bought 500 rounds for $30... Is that a decent deal?

Matt
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

MattM68 wrote:I just bought 500 rounds for $30... Is that a decent deal?

Matt
That's a palatable price now. Unfortunately here, that's rare as hen's teeth! I miss the 500/550 box for $13 that was available just a few years ago.

Enjoy shooting, it's really a great rifle. I have had mine for 25 years and it hasn't missed a beat. It's the rifle that I used to teach marksmanship to my sons and the same rifle I bought a couple of years ago for my oldest son's 15th birthday. My other son will get one of his own next year.

Another great thing about that rifle is it is easy to modify and buy accessories for.

Enjoy,
Dan
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

MattM68 wrote:I just bought 500 rounds for $30... Is that a decent deal?

Matt
Around here that would be a good deal. Folks hang around the Walmarts on delivery mornings and buy up any .22 ammo that comes in, haven't seen it in any of the Academy, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Dicks' Sporting Goods, or most other stores. Only place that seems to have it most of the time that I go there, is Cabela's in Allen, for higher cost than that. At least they have it though. And .22 is still cheaper than my other calibers I like to shoot.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MattM68 wrote:So I ended up getting a 10/22! :D Thanks everyone for the help!

Matt
Excellent choice.

Some day you'll be able to teach your kids to shoot with it, too.

I bought my first 10/22 when I was 19 years old, and my daughter shoots it now.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

** UPDATE: LOL not sure how i missed the last post, but congrats on your new acquisition. i'll leave my post below anyway, in case it applies for another day. :-)
Ruarch wrote:My suggestion is to go to a range and rent anything you are thinking about buying. The suggestions above are very good suggestions. But try them out first. Also, try the Glock 19.
Exactly. Glock 19, read below for why. :-)

Rifles and shotguns have their place and are great at what they do - but if you're talking about getting A GUN, meaning that will be your gun, it's a good idea to keep options open.

You likely won't take your rifle or shotgun along with you when you go somewhere, bring it in the car, etc, etc.

So for the first gun i'd focus on something that can be used for home defense, car defense, personal defense, and not too big to take along with you.

I dislike this comparison lol, but it's accurate... Glock is the Honda Accord of handguns... the **** thing just works, and it works **** well, for a good value. It's something you buy that will work for decades with a little TLC. perhaps the AK of modern handguns lol.

Glock makes their guns in small, medium, and large. the medium (aka compact) fits most hands fine.

They also make different calibers as most manufacturers do. Recommend you start with 9mm, it's a cheaper and easier to find round, in both abundant and less abundant times.

Hence @Ruarch's recommendation above, the venerable Glock 19. That's Glock's mid-size frame in 9mm.

Most new shooters I introduce to handguns end up going Glock 19 after trying a few other options - as their all around general use first firearm.

Watch these couple of vids on the Glock 19

Best deal around on the Glock 19 Gen 4 (current model) is $560 at Bud's, add $25 for your local FFL to receive it for you.

<personal opinion, neither here nor there lol>Also Glock does NOT have external safeties... which many folks like, but many like me consider very dangerous, as they breed poor safety especially for new shooters, and the last thing you want to worry about in a high stress adrenaline-fueled sitation is a goddamn knob on the side of your gun lol. :-)<personal opinion, neither here nor there lol>

Hope that helps!
Dan

P.S. Much as I love the Glock 19, have to say I'm VERY intrigued with the new H&K VP9... spent a fun morning playing with one last week, it really wanted to come home with me. :-)
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

H&K Vp9