The Art of Everyday Carry : A Beginner's Guide to EDC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
twinboysdad

Re: The Art of Everyday Carry : A Beginner's Guide to EDC

Post by twinboysdad »

I carry a revolver most days...but it is an airweight and a six shooter at that. My point was not that a revolver is not good enough, but that if you need 12 fixed blades you probably need 15+1 of 9mm or greater and a spare mag or 2 because you clearly have a higher threat level than most. If you just carry all those fixed blades as a self indulgent want, then more power to you. Again, it is your EDC and I am no one special.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Doc,
I've had a number of revolvers, my favorite for SD (self defense) carry being the Ruger LCR in .38 Spl, but I don't like speed strips, because they really aren't, and me and speed loaders don't get along that well either. I tried a Bond Arms Deringer in .410 (that buckshot is some nasty stuff), but reloading it quickly is difficult and the possibility of hitting a bystander with one or more of the rapidly dispersing pellets at any distance, like greater than ten feet, is too great for my liking.

Now, I am focused on two carry guns: the Ruger LCP and the S&W M&P Shield. Slim, light, super-concealable, accurate at SD distances, reliable and similar enough in form and function that I don't have to think about it. I have and use for practice a Ruger SR22P so I can hit what I shoot at.

If you like, check out my self defense carry blog: http://sdcarry.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I live in Canada so we don't need to carry guns as it is extremely safe up here.

I'm only kidding!!! I'm kidding! :D

It's just as dangerous up here as many places around the world and I would carry a firearm if it was legal to do so but unfortunately it is not. It's also illegal to carry blackjacks, pepper spray, mace, brass knuckles, kubatons, stun guns, etc. Basically if it's a weapon it is illegal. We are not permitted to carry a weapon of any kind. lucky for me, my knives are "tools" so they are legal to carry. I salute you guys for exercising your 2nd amendment rights, keep up the good fight.

Here is a pocket dump I did this morning for the thread. I swap out my knives almost daily but I've been enjoying the Pacific Salt so much that it hasn't left my pocket. The Szabo is just too much fun, I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon, just got it yesterday. It's a handy "tool" to have on your person when things go south ;) My lights are all 4Sevens and Fenix brand lights, and I change them out as well. I'm always looking for a new light, so if you guys have any recommendations I'm all ears. That Maxpedition wallet is about 3 years old now, it's a little frayed but still going strong. Not bad for 15 bucks. It is super thin which is why I like it, I can't stand having a thick wallet. My fisher space pen fits right in the fold of the wallet so that's an easy way to always have a pen on me. Ive got a few space pens, but this one is probably my favourite. It's made of brass, and has formed a nice patina over time. Keys are keys nothing to see here, unless you count that SB lady bug which sees a lot of use. Then there is my iPhone 5. I love the size of it, but the battery is busted. It can't last more than ten minutes before dying so it has to be plugged in almost every minute of the day. I'm holding out for the new 6S when it's released in September/October.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

People seem surprised I carry a pen in my wallet, but it's just so darn convenient.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

twinboysdad wrote:I carry a revolver most days...but it is an airweight and a six shooter at that. My point was not that a revolver is not good enough, but that if you need 12 fixed blades you probably need 15+1 of 9mm or greater and a spare mag or 2 because you clearly have a higher threat level than most. If you just carry all those fixed blades as a self indulgent want, then more power to you. Again, it is your EDC and I am no one special.
Twinboysdad: Sometimes I need even more than 12 fixed blades sometimes 20+ and It's not because I clearly have a higher threat level than most...quite the contrary....Most people when they go to work each day...do not go armed, with either knife or firearm, saps or whatnot.... many employers and companies forbid their workers to enter the workplace with a knife, gun or any thing that can be used as a weapon. My Job (guess you never read my profile) requires me to come to work armed to the hilt!!! I work as a Defensive Tactics Instructor for various Law Enforcement Agencies. I teach everything from Knife, Baton, Kubotan, PR24, Weapons Disarming, Weapons Retention, Vehicular Extractions, Speed Cuffing, Control - Restraint Techniques and Firearms Training and Tactics....Point is...it's my job to make sure my people know of all the possibilities they might encounter on the streets...It's also my job to make sure they all get home safely to their loved ones without being harmed...so they can come to work tomorrow and protect You and your loved ones, Me, and everyone else out there as they have nobly pledged to serve and protect. While teaching I often have Agents pat me down to find the hidden weapons...(hence a need for many) Yes they always miss a few....which is something they all learn from....It's important for those in this line of work to realize just because I say "Don't touch that bandage on my neck, I just had surgery there yesterday" doesn't mean I don't have a Delica underneath that bandage!...You catch my drift. Do I need to carry all that stuff when I'm off duty...of course not....but I do...just got very used to it and I'm an Old Dog where old habits are hard to change....As a U.S. Special Agent I have the privilege to carry wherever, whenever and whatever I choose, a privileged unfortunately that is not given to the average Law Enforcement Agent. So what it all boils down to is this: I'd hardly call what I do, a self indulgent want, nor do I think of myself on a power trip...I just need to do my job and do it well....Just wanted to clear up any misunderstandings...and wanted you to know where I'm coming from...for future reference...and yes...there was a Delica under that bloody gauze taped to my neck.....Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

MichaelScott wrote:Doc,
I've had a number of revolvers, my favorite for SD (self defense) carry being the Ruger LCR in .38 Spl, but I don't like speed strips, because they really aren't, and me and speed loaders don't get along that well either. I tried a Bond Arms Deringer in .410 (that buckshot is some nasty stuff), but reloading it quickly is difficult and the possibility of hitting a bystander with one or more of the rapidly dispersing pellets at any distance, like greater than ten feet, is too great for my liking.

Now, I am focused on two carry guns: the Ruger LCP and the S&W M&P Shield. Slim, light, super-concealable, accurate at SD distances, reliable and similar enough in form and function that I don't have to think about it. I have and use for practice a Ruger SR22P so I can hit what I shoot at.

If you like, check out my self defense carry blog: http://sdcarry.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M
Michael: I checked out your self defense carry blog....and I liked it!....Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!...Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:Doc,

M
Michael: I checked out your self defense carry blog....and I liked it!....Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!...Doc:)
and FWIW: I love Derringers, I have mostly those made by American Derringer corp. in .45ACP, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, and my favorite in .45-70 :eek: .Yep I'm a glutton for punishment..That said I'd never carry one, just like shooting them for fun....Guess It was that old TV show "Yancy Derringer" I liked to watch as a kid....kinda hooked me on the whole derringer thingy. There is nothing like shooting a Howitzer with a Walnut for a grip handle.
Once had a .45LC Derringer that shot .410 slug and buck cartridge...I sold it because the .45LC Bullet would keyhole at 21 feet...I finally figured out that couldn't be corrected because the round would have to jump the head space before it would pick up the rifling in the barrel to stabilize it....hence the keyholes at close distance.....Still it was fun to shot while I owned it.....Doc:)
Last edited by Dr. Snubnose on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Makes more sense, but like I said numerous times this is your EDC...matters not if you are LEO or a rocket scientist. You can dual wield Ruger Super RedHawks and as long as it is what you want to carry, more power to you. After reading your explanation I am a bit further confused, you train folks in baton and impact weapons but don't see a place for them between H2H and blades? Have you just seen too many failures? I am asking honestly.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Depends on what you call failures...I find there are too many problems in court.... hard to defend the officers training in court...Yes Agents are trained to hit belly of muscle and to use non lethal force. That's great if the perp is just standing there doing nothing...then it's easy to target....but combat is an ever changing situation, that can not be predicted, and those trained must be able to react to that change....point is he may have been trained to hit the belly of the tricep with his ASP Baton, but ended up shattering the perps elbow....hard to prove what he was really aiming for....probably the reason they took saps, and slappers and Large Cell Maglite Aluminum Flashlights away from officers, as it's hard to determine reasonable force exerted by the Officer involved, even for the officer....Doc:)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My experience, admittedly limited, is that the niceties of appropriate levels of force and accuracy of application are usually matters of debate in courtrooms. While there have been instances of negligence in this area, I'd say they are in the minority. Well trained professionals have a sometimes ugly job and they usually do it very well indeed (thanks to pros like the good Doctor). Being second guessed by a room full of amateurs is not where I'd want to be. That said, I think one's EDC should be realistic for one's level of training and environment.

I live in a very small town. Less than 1000 full time residents. Today, my wife and I went for a walk through our local park, which was full of artists, vendors and music for the 4th Holiday, and many out of town people. I had my M&P Shield, Ruger LCP, PM2, Roadie, Fenix light and trekking poles (recovering from cancer treatments has kicked my *** and I don't like falling down so much). I didn't expect trouble, nor did I have any. But, I was as ready as I am able to be to avoid it if possible or deal with it if all else fails. We have one Marshall and he was somewhere else.

EDC requirements vary greatly and it is interesting to see who carries what and why. I only wish more people exercised their right to bear arms..
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Here is a slide I made up quite a while back to show someone how prepared you could actually be if you just put a little forethought into it. This is an old pic but my carry is basically the same I just change the way I carry everything a little now and then. I could get lost in the woods with nothing but what is on my person and would do just fine.

:D

Very nice!
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Image
Liquid Cobra wrote:I live in Canada so we don't need to carry guns as it is extremely safe up here.

I'm only kidding!!! I'm kidding! :D

It's just as dangerous up here as many places around the world and I would carry a firearm if it was legal to do so but unfortunately it is not. It's also illegal to carry blackjacks, pepper spray, mace, brass knuckles, kubatons, stun guns, etc. Basically if it's a weapon it is illegal. We are not permitted to carry a weapon of any kind. lucky for me, my knives are "tools" so they are legal to carry. I salute you guys for exercising your 2nd amendment rights, keep up the good fight.
Liquid Cobra LOL little-known fact, Arizona is one of the best places in the U.S. for gun rights... almost uninfringed. Constitutional Carry... no permission slips. carry what you want, courts involved if you commit an actual crime (with a victim, an injured party lol).

Here in Texas, we ALMOST got Constitutional Carry passed this time... will pass next legislature. at least they removed some infringements, i.e. open carry will be viable starting January, tho still infringed in that it needs a permission slip.

Same with knife rights... uninfringed in Arizona... Texas we're limited to 5.5" blade, and a few other caveats... at least the legal uniformity statewide bill finally passed this year, meaning no local jurisdictions can infringe more than the state overall.

The other very important bill to REMOVE knives from "prohibited weapons" got torpedoed at the last minute.

Kudos to the good people of Knife Rights fighting this good fight.

Liquid Cobra wrote:I swap out my knives almost daily but I've been enjoying the Pacific Salt so much that it hasn't left my pocket.
Pacific Salt... how do you like it? got the Dragonfly and the Tasman Salt for pocket free floating, do you think the Pacific Salt would be better at that?

Trying to understand the advantage of the Pacific Salt vs Endura serrated... seems the Endura would be a better choice unless you let it sit in sweat and salt water, no? just really dont like those tumlber clips lol.
Liquid Cobra wrote:My lights are all 4Sevens and Fenix brand lights, and I change them out as well. I'm always looking for a new light, so if you guys have any recommendations I'm all ears.
LOVE the 4Sevens Mini ML... amazing little light... so **** small, 200 lumens, also low light mode. wish it had an even lower mode for uber low light situations, i know some of theirs do.

Had it for nearly a year, hasn't left my pocket since. just pulled it out of the dryer yesterday, guess it enjoyed a wash and a dry... so yeah, it actually IS water and shock proof, guess that explains the unusual banging in the dryer lol.

Here's some thoughts and pics on it.

Liquid Cobra wrote:That Maxpedition wallet is about 3 years old now, it's a little frayed but still going strong. Not bad for 15 bucks. It is super thin which is why I like it, I can't stand having a thick wallet.
Me neither... was going to a minimalist wallet, looking at the Bellroy card holder really, but had a change of heart... actually tried the Maxpedition Mini Pocket Organizer AS a wallet... in spite of myself, I LOVE IT.

Just started doing a review on it, what's cool is it fits my cards, multitool, FourSevens Mini ML, few other items, all in the same package that DOES NOT RATTLE OR JINGLE!! lol

Check out the picture of it in this article - Everyday Carry 101 – 7 Items Everyone Should Have

Liquid Cobra wrote:Then there is my iPhone 5. I love the size of it, but the battery is busted. It can't last more than ten minutes before dying so it has to be plugged in almost every minute of the day. I'm holding out for the new 6S when it's released in September/October.
Yep, same here.. iPhone 5, holding out for the 6S... time to upgrade, I take way too many pics of my precious little pups to still be rolling with 3 year old iPhone camera tech. :-)

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee