The Art of Everyday Carry : A Beginner's Guide to EDC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pinetreebbs

Re: The Art of Everyday Carry : A Beginner's Guide to EDC

Post by Pinetreebbs »

springnr wrote:
The Deacon wrote: I do carry a wallet, but just out of force of habit. For all but two or three days a year I could get away with a rubber band around my drivers license, my CWP, and my debit card.
My son gave me a Machine Era Wallet last year that I really like, slip it in my pocket when leaving the house.
The Machine Era wallet is brilliant! Perfect for front pocket carry. Thank you for the link.

I have a history of back trouble so I quit carrying anything in my back pant pockets.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Great stuff you guys, funny, some of thsee pocket dumps look very familiar, seems there may be another forum some of us belong too.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Image
Is that shrink tube on your S biner or duct tape? That's a cool idea. I've had the #2 size come unclipped on some work keys but my #3 has never failed me. I may throw some on there for good measure.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote: Is that shrink tube on your S biner or duct tape? That's a cool idea. I've had the #2 size come unclipped on some work keys but my #3 has never failed me. I may throw some on there for good measure.
Black aquarium airline tubing. It works very well and has never come undone. Unlike shrinkwrap I can get this on and off when needed.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Doc Snub,

No saps or blackjacks? They are a secondary fascination of mine
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

twinboysdad wrote:Doc Snub,

No Saps or Blackjacks :( for daily carry....but I do have Kukuri, Latigo, and Shotgun in the trunk :eek: My secondary Fascination...Doc:)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:

No Saps or Blackjacks :( for daily carry....but I do have Kukuri, Latigo, and Shotgun in the trunk :eek: My secondary Fascination...Doc:)
LMAO Sifu!!! That was great! :cool:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:

Are they not legal to carry where you are? Check out d3protection.com of which I am not affiliated but have had good transactions with. Saps and blackjacks seem like they would flow well with Kali type training
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

When I'm out and about I carry at the moment:

Wallet (containing a straw with Victorinox tweezers, toothpick and pen. Bandaids and few tablets of paracetamol and ibuprofen)
Spyderco Ladybug/SE in FG with or without a Case Yellow Delrin Peanut in CV.
this goes all in RFP

Key chain: house key, Leatherman Squirt P4, Peanut lighter and Fenix F01.
this goes on belt loop or RFP

Android smart Phone Samsung S2 in LFP

Tobacco poach with Bic lighter in LBP together with SAK Spartan or Pioneer.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Saps and Blackjacks are fine...and I do like them....but I'd rather carry a Bowie Knife...it flows even better with Kali type training.....Doc:)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I guess I like having a less lethal option
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

twinboysdad wrote:I guess I like having a less lethal option
That's why I also carry a nail clipper! :p Doc:)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:I guess I like having a less lethal option
That's why Ialso carry a nail clipper! :p Doc:)

Let me guess sifu, you'll give the perp a manicure? :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

or man scape...whatever they want lol.....Doc:)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

You suit yourself, obviously your EDC works for you. For me it is prudent to have layers that include less lethal be it an impact weapon or OC spray.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

With all due respect, EDC what you see fit for yourself, but what you call Prudent I call Foolish. Who are you going to use that less than lethal force on? A would be attacker? Is he armed? Good Luck with that. OC spray? Don't make me laugh....unless you are fighting dogs, (where their olfactory senses are right up front and all sensitive...yeah it works) Can't tell you how many times I have been sprayed in the face with OC spray....guess what... each and every time I was able to continue my attack, and I'm talking something a little stronger than the everyday person is permitted to purchase...Just a word of caution...Don't trust your life to it....I don't mean to be condescending, hope you don't take it that way. Thing is I can understand your logic...cause it kinda makes sense...Have a Primary, Have a Secondary, have a less than lethal force option....makes sense, gives you options....but not really.....it's hard enough transitioning from Knife to Firearm during a possible deadly encounter, let alone adding some less than lethal impact weapon just thrown into the mix....So one draws his Kubotan, when he really needs to draw a Firearm....ut oh......Your empty hands, your arms, legs, body and mind (and I suggest training in something, or a good pair of sneakers) are your less than lethal options.....if thing were to deteriorate fast....you might need other options...and if you need other options at this point you are gonna need to have something more than an ineffective can of OC or that Com-Tech Stinger in your back pocket........Doc:)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

From the guy who EDC's 8 fixed blades...again suit yourself but your EDC is in my opinion over the top. I was simply stating why I do what I do. Not that I was right or wrong. Your EDC works for you but you would be hard pressed to find many who need 15 knives but only a 5 shot boat anchor revolver. I would add that I could not imagine doing my ground training carrying that much stuff including the Bowie knife. I don't consider a comtech stinger in the same spectrum as a sap or blackjack. An 8 oz or larger sap or blackjack to the melon could be lethal, that is why I say less lethal not non lethal. The difference is I can crack someone in the collarbone or knee cap or elbow and have not drawn blood but seriously disabled that joint. If you draw a knife in the same context you are now spilling blood and waiting on the effects of the cut. A blackjack to the head or neck will have an immediate effect. The 300 lb wild boar I killed with a knife took a while to die and stop fighting after I stabbed his heart
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yikes...My Five shot revolver goes bang each and every time I pull the trigger...Can't say that about most Semi-Jamatics...If I need more than Five to get the job done. I'll carry a second revolver......Fastest Reload I know..(so If I can't do it in Ten) I have no right carrying a firearm. Come on....I can choose to cut someone's arm or thigh rather than split their heads in half down to their Mandible.... three fast backcuts with a Bowie will leave gashes in my opponent limbs in the same time it will take him to blink his eyes...kinda makes them want to stop fighting ( less than lethal) but try to imagine using your 8oz sap on that 300 lb wild boar, he is gonna take a lot longer to stop fighting and your arm will be tired after hitting him ten thousand times....and you can't stab anyone in the heart with a sap! I think you made my point.....Good thing you had a knife for that Wild Boar...and I'm guessing you didn't use a Ladybug from your EDC Keychain to do that....Doc:)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, revolvers can malfunction, just as semi-automatic handguns can. But, in both cases, it is rare given proper maintenance and factory ammo. Semi-autos that may experience a failure to feed, eject or extract can be easily and quickly cleared in under a second usually. A revolver that malfunctions is a different story.

Nothing wrong with carrying two guns. Ayoob recommends it and I sometimes do, but I prefer greater capacity in both than five rounds. Sometimes, maybe more often than not, a gunfight, especially with more than one opponent, is going to take more than five or even ten rounds. Consult published FBI and law enforcement studies of gunfights. Many, many rounds are often fired, and most of them miss.

For me, and it is solely a personal decision, the only purpose weapon I carry is a semi-automatic handgun. I do carry a couple of knives, usually the PM 2 and a Dragonfly or Roadie, but I don't see them as weapons unless I can't avoid trouble and the gun isn't enough for whatever reason. If I wanted a self-defense knife, I would probably carry a Lil Matriarch.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Hi Michael...I'm gonna have to agree with you there...Revolvers can malfunction, it just has been my experience that it happens a lot less with revolvers than semi-automatics. I can honestly say after owning 37 semi-auto handguns, there is not one in the lot that hasn't malfunctioned at one time or the other. That said I did experience a revolver malfunction once...the rim of an empty case (on extraction) got caught up under the ejector star....but I was able to clear it in seconds....with the help of a tool I carry. Funny you should mention Mas Ayoob, because he was the one who gifted me that tool. It's called a De-Jammer, probably produced about 25 years ago, have not seen any around lately (See Pic) I remember Mas saying to me..."Now Doc, don't use this as a Kubotan...it could pierce the human body on contact"...I remember thinking I'm ok with that....but it worked flawlessly the one time that I had a revolver malfunction. Now understand, that Handguns in any shape, size and caliber are poor man-stoppers....the Handgun's claim to fame is that it is concealable....If I knew I was going to be in an extended firefight the last thing I want in my hands is a handgun....I'd opt for a long arm with higher capacity. That said I'm not an anti-semi auto guy....I carry a variety of them, just yesterday I was carrying a P-220 Sig Sauer. But to be honest I'd rather have the five shot boat anchor for self-defense...I just trust it more.... Here's that De-Jammer pic I was talking about...revolver fans...if you ever see one pick one up....they work!......Doc:)