Firemission:Please help a female friend in need!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dodge

Firemission:Please help a female friend in need!

Post by Dodge »

Hello Forumites, I need your help to spread the word about something a female friend of mine is trying to start, a REVOLUTION!!. I'm not trying to be sales pitchy or solicit anything....other than your combined social network power. IF you all could please look at this Kickstarter and if you like it please spread the word via social media, word of mouth to all people you think would benefit from this Revolution. I'll be so grateful. And yes she is a Female Spyderco fan!

*EDITED*
Last edited by Dodge on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
The Mastiff

Re: Firemission:Please help a female friend in need!

Post by The Mastiff »

Why the heck are you advertising women's clothing here? Using a Spyderco server to drum up business for you or a friend seems pretty inappropriate. Kind of like stealing their bandwidth.

You being a member here seems worse than those people who sneak in late at night and set up accounts to advertise. You are one of us and do know better. Whether your friend has a Spyderco knife or not is irrelevant.

Joe
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Calling plus-sized athletic clothing with edgy sayings a REVOLUTION is somewhat absurd. For instance, a quick stop by UA.com reveals they also offer XXL sizing.

I'm with Joe on this one, this feels like inappropriate use of the forum, even in off-topic.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

The Mastiff wrote:Why the heck are you advertising women's clothing here? Using a Spyderco server to drum up business for you or a friend seems pretty inappropriate. Kind of like stealing their bandwidth.

You being a member here seems worse than those people who sneak in late at night and set up accounts to advertise. You are one of us and do know better. Whether your friend has a Spyderco knife or not is irrelevant.

Joe
I don't appreciate you labeling me as one of those spammers. I'm not advertising per se I'm trying to help her further her dreams to change a common view point that is part of a bigger issue in society, I don't see it as stealing bandwidth and I'm not asking for money. I'm simply asking any of you that have significant others (Moms,daughters,sisters,wives) that are into a healthy life style to repost,retweet,reblog this kickstarter. She is trying to change an entire industry's views. I think that although I'm not active as I used to be this is a small favor to ask of my fellow forumites. I could be wrong and if this sort of thing is against the rules then please delete it. no harm no foul.
Last edited by Dodge on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dodge

Post by Dodge »

tvenuto wrote:Calling plus-sized athletic clothing with edgy sayings a REVOLUTION is somewhat absurd. For instance, a quick stop by UA.com reveals they also offer XXL sizing.

I'm with Joe on this one, this feels like inappropriate use of the forum, even in off-topic.
Clearly you didn't watch the video or actually look hard into the company, which is fine. Your link show's XXl clothing, Do you think people with weight issues stop growing at that size? My friends clothing goes up to 5X. Because people @ 5x can and do try to regain a grasp on a healthy lifestyle. The revolution part comes in when she can get Nike,UA,and other companies to stop advertising with "perfect" models and leaving the more so often over weight person to feel isolated and without hope when they choose to do something with their life and be healthy. Her site is full of inspiration and healthy ideas, it's a place not unlike our main forum where people go to see what others are doing, get ideas, and feel a sense of community... But I guess that idea is absurd.

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

This is what I got when I went there.... ;)

Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Ankerson wrote:This is what I got when I went there.... ;)

She's says all her plug ins are up to date, Her IT guy is looking into it. Certain browsers do this.

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Dodge wrote:Clearly you didn't watch the video or actually look hard into the company, which is fine. Your link show's XXl clothing, Do you think people with weight issues stop growing at that size? My friends clothing goes up to 5X. Because people @ 5x can and do try to regain a grasp on a healthy lifestyle. The revolution part comes in when she can get Nike,UA,and other companies to stop advertising with "perfect" models and leaving the more so often over weight person to feel isolated and without hope when they choose to do something with their life and be healthy. Her site is full of inspiration and healthy ideas, it's a place not unlike our main forum where people go to see what others are doing, get ideas, and feel a sense of community... But I guess that idea is absurd.
No I don't, I work with them daily at the gym I own. When they choose to do something with their life and be healthy, they come to me. The site for our gym highlights what people there are doing, and healthy ideas, but I'm not here advertising it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Find it amusing that the difference between everyBODY and everybody seems to be genitalia.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

The Deacon wrote:Find it amusing that the difference between everyBODY and everybody seems to be genitalia.
Point taken and discussed.. She is working on men's clothing items as well. Currently her main demographic is middle aged woman.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

It's still spam...

spam
spam/Submit
noun
irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.

I'dd add unwanted to that definition.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Dodge wrote: I don't appreciate you labeling me as one of those spammers. I'm not advertising per se I'm trying to help her further her dreams to change a common view point that is part of a bigger issue in society, I don't see it as stealing bandwidth and I'm not asking for money.
Advertising isn't strictly limited to asking for money, in general it is defined as communication which is a type of marketing, intended to persuade people to take some action. The action can be to buy something, but it isn't limited to that. Now you might think well what is wrong with asking people to support the project which you would say, and many would agree is a positive thing, and one post is fairly harmless in any case obviously. The problem is we all have such interests, or have friends and family who do and imagine if we all started making the posts to call to support our own, or our friends and families ventures. It sort of becomes obvious that kind of mass promotion is likely not suitable for this forum. But if you don't see everyone having the right, and that everyone posting is ok and should be supported then it is hard to claim an individual right/post as the same.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have a question about this and it also relates to forum rules. If I see a new or old Spyderco knife advertised on a website, am I allowed to bring attention to it, like, "Check this out everyone!" and post a link. Or is that not allowed?
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I have a question about this and it also relates to forum rules. If I see a new or old Spyderco knife advertised on a website, am I allowed to bring attention to it, like, "Check this out everyone!" and post a link. Or is that not allowed?
It's done all the time. Even deals are posted from other companies.

Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
Dodge wrote: I don't appreciate you labeling me as one of those spammers. I'm not advertising per se I'm trying to help her further her dreams to change a common view point that is part of a bigger issue in society, I don't see it as stealing bandwidth and I'm not asking for money.
Advertising isn't strictly limited to asking for money, in general it is defined as communication which is a type of marketing, intended to persuade people to take some action. The action can be to buy something, but it isn't limited to that. Now you might think well what is wrong with asking people to support the project which you would say, and many would agree is a positive thing, and one post is fairly harmless in any case obviously. The problem is we all have such interests, or have friends and family who do and imagine if we all started making the posts to call to support our own, or our friends and families ventures. It sort of becomes obvious that kind of mass promotion is likely not suitable for this forum. But if you don't see everyone having the right, and that everyone posting is ok and should be supported then it is hard to claim an individual right/post as the same.
I would think that it's within the scope of "off topic" talk. So let me ask you a question...if I just put the link in my tag line and said nothing would that be any less controversial? I agree we all have things that are important and centric to us but if I can't talk about these things freely then why are we here? I guess I feel that I'm not a shady person that's getting paid to go places I don't frequent and post up links for companies they work for and don't belong believe in.. I'm not getting a penny out of this. I'm sorry it's caused so much friction. But if I can get one person to agree whit her and decide to help them selves be happier and healthy then I'll do this time and time again.

Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Dodge wrote:if I just put the link in my tag line and said nothing would that be any less controversial?
As with all things there is a line once crossed where the definition no longer applies, but also with all things that line isn't always so clear to see when you get close to it, but from far away it is clear.

"1.99 for a knife so close to a Sebenza that even Chris Reeve would put his stamp on it - http://www.betterthanasebenza.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Now if you take that post and repeat it across multiple forums starting/initiating topics then most people would readily agree that is spam. However if you simply make this post while people were talking about Sebenza's :

"Yeah, the Sebenza is a good knife, but there are clones now which are so close I think even Reeve would not give them a second glance in his shop, easy to turn up on a google search."

Most people would not jump to that as spam though it has an almost identical content but the intent appears to be very different and that is what sets off most spam flags. When you get in-between those two it gets hard to say.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:It's still spam...

spam
spam/Submit
noun
irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.

You had a choice to read this and post in it... And I swear I posted this in off topic? Where " If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, post it here"

Studey

Post by Studey »

Regardless of what the post is or isn't, it seems that you're not getting the response you'd hoped for. At this point, I'm not sure your friend is getting any positive press, which is what you were originally after. Might be time to give up the ghost.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dodge wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:It's still spam...

spam
spam/Submit
noun

You had a choice to read this and post in it... And I swear I posted this in off topic? Where " If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, post it here"

Sure, because I thought that it was a legitimate plea. I expect more from members here. It seems I'm mistaken.

If you'd have been accurate with your title and called it "Spam". I would not have clicked.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW.

The simplest and least potentially divisive way to act if you suspect another member's post is SPAM, or in violation of some other forum rule is to use the "Report this post" button that appears at the top of every post, next to the "Reply with quote" button. I've used it hundreds of times, over the years. Sometimes I've been "right", and the mods have moved, removed, or edited the post but sometimes I've been wrong and been happy for the anonymity that reporting the post provided.

Is this thread SPAM? Frankly, I'd be inclined to say no, but my most honest answer would probably be "damned if I know". What I do know, with absolute certainty, is that it's not my call, or our call. The only ones who can and should make that call are this forum's moderators and administrators.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!