New "other" knife....

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: New "other" knife....

Post by MacLaren »

I really love how well the Kephart fits the hand. The handle is just wonderful. It balances great in any position. I had a lot of fun slicing a Nectarine yesterday evening :)
Of course the Kephart would really shine as a hunters knife, but also a kitchen/camp knife imo too. It just seems a knife that you can do a lot with. Like the Temperence 2.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very impressive, man! I've been looking forward to your pics. :) How much does yours weigh (w/out the sheath)?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SpyderNut wrote:Very impressive, man! I've been looking forward to your pics. :) How much does yours weigh (w/out the sheath)?
Thanx brother. When we moved I put my postal scales in storage :(
But, she's light. Real light.
All in all a great slicer! But, if I were to go alone hiking, fishing etc, itd be T2 that went with me.
The T2, imo is soooo underrated....
Of course, Big Chris can make other knives.....that Wolverine of his is bad 2 the bone.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol, I gave the Kephart a few strokes on my fine Spydie stone......its ridiculous. Slices extremely well. Very happy with it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:Lol, I gave the Kephart a few strokes on my fine Spydie stone......its ridiculous. Slices extremely well. Very happy with it.

10V is very nice. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Lol, I gave the Kephart a few strokes on my fine Spydie stone......its ridiculous. Slices extremely well. Very happy with it.

10V is very nice. :)
Yes sir. Its wonderful:)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just got thru trimming up a filet mignon .....this knife is a joy to use. Talk about gettin surgical.....
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have a similar size and shape Big Chris knife in 4V at rc 63. I really like the blade shape for all around use. It's very much like Spyderco's leaf blade shape in utility. It is nice steel too, sort of in the mid range class between 3V and CPM M4. It works very well at thin edges/medium low angles the same way 3V and CPM Cruwear do. Similar in corrosion resistance with more differences from different heat treat temps than from the steels ( cruwear vs. 3v vs. 4v). I have a different 4V fixed blade at around rc 59. Without testing like Jim does I can't really tell any difference in sharpening or wear resistance between the steels. They are all tough to sharpen when hogging off steel with the wrong stone but very easy to sharpen when thin edges and using SiC or Diamonds.

The only complaint I had was the Krinite grips. Though nice to look at they were too slippery at high polish. I had to rough it up. I would have liked Micarta or wood better.

All in all Big Chris is an excellent knife smith. A good guy too.

Joe
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DRKBC wrote:Image
Chris Reeve?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Mastiff wrote:I have a similar size and shape Big Chris knife in 4V at rc 63. I really like the blade shape for all around use. It's very much like Spyderco's leaf blade shape in utility. It is nice steel too, sort of in the mid range class between 3V and CPM M4. It works very well at thin edges/medium low angles the same way 3V and CPM Cruwear do. Similar in corrosion resistance with more differences from different heat treat temps than from the steels ( cruwear vs. 3v vs. 4v). I have a different 4V fixed blade at around rc 59. Without testing like Jim does I can't really tell any difference in sharpening or wear resistance between the steels. They are all tough to sharpen when hogging off steel with the wrong stone but very easy to sharpen when thin edges and using SiC or Diamonds.

The only complaint I had was the Krinite grips. Though nice to look at they were too slippery at high polish. I had to rough it up. I would have liked Micarta or wood better.

All in all Big Chris is an excellent knife smith. A good guy too.

Joe
Thanx Joe!
Ive wondered about 3V and 4V. Ive also seriously considered his Wolverine in CPM-M4.
However, these steels and being custom made can be pricey as we all know. However, his knives as well as Spyderco are pretty incredible!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

MacLaren wrote:
Chris Reeve?
Hi MacLaren, yes it is Large CRK Sebenza 21 "Tanked" Really like it, the F&F as usual is exceptional.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DRKBC wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Chris Reeve?
Hi MacLaren, yes it is Large CRK Sebenza 21 "Tanked" Really like it, the F&F as usual is exceptional.
Its awesome. I love it. Really neat....
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like the knives but the sheath is what sells me if its not Kydex I don't buy period and those are very nice.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I like the knives but the sheath is what sells me if its not Kydex I don't buy period and those are very nice.
Thanx :)
Yeah, its a really nice sheath. I had to order a large Tek Lok for it. Its been great though.
I look forward to another custom someday. Would like to get a Phil Wilson but dont want to wait lol...+ Ive been spending way too much lately....the wells went dry! :eek:
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Both very good looking.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

IMG_20150727_085318.jpg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ive got another custom fixed coming in thats even sharper than the 10V shown in this thread(outta the box). I didnt commit to buy until I seen my cousins yesterday......lol, it was pretty amazing for outta the box! I mean absolute hair popping sharp outta the gate. It looked like a lawn mower when i shaved the hair from my arm.....hair was flying everywhere lol....its a 4" M390 Bradley Guardian. Shes .165 at the spine and .010 behind the edge. FFG. I gotta say, its incredibly nice imho. I love every thing about especially the way the G10 handles are. My cousins was in Orange, but mine will be in Patriot Blue. Ill put up some pics when she comes in. Brad said he would ship her out tomorrow. I cant get over just how well i liked it....especially just after getting the Big Chris Kephart in Super Thin 10V. Of course, I always loved my ZT 0562CF in M390.......I think my favorite steel may be M390 lol.
Of course anything thin, hard and sharpened correctly would fit that bill as well :)
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

First Strider - SNG