Windows 10?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Johnnie1801

Windows 10?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Just wondering if anyone is going to download Windows 10? Is it worth upgrading from Windows 7/8.1?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
yablanowitz

Re: Windows 10?

Post by yablanowitz »

Given my experience with Windows 8.1, I'll upgrade to 10 when I can no longer salvage enough hardware to keep my Windows 7 machine running.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Yes I kept XP until 09.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I will do on my Surface Pro 3, on my Azus Taichi but not on my Win7 desktop ;)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

:p :p :p
Sounds fine to me. I make $50/hr fixing people's Windows problems.

(Written on my iPad)
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i subscribed to the free upgrade promo.. anything except 8.x
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've been happy with Windows 7. I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops, all with Win 7, and they all run great. My wife's laptop has Win8.1 and it pretty well mimics Win7 so I wouldn't have any problem using it. I have ignored the press on Win 10 so I'm not sure whether to look forward to it or not. OTOH all of my computers are working great so I don't feel the need to upgrade for awhile.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MichaelScott wrote::p :p :p
Sounds fine to me. I make $50/hr fixing people's Windows problems.

(Written on my iPad)
Its really hard to believe that the windows platform almost buried apple/macintosh isn't it? Apple was light years ahead from the start but got "out marketed". Good to see the chips finally fall into their proper places.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I don't have a clue as to what to do.
I have Windows 8.1, it works fine, of course I am a minimum user. I've read recent articles of people disliking 8.1 so much, that this is why they are offering this Win 10 for free.
questions 1.How much will I have to "re-learn" with Windows 10?
2. Will I have to pay for Win 10 after the first year and how much?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Donut

Post by Donut »

I am signed up for the upgrade, but it's 2 months away.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'm not a fan of 8.1 so I expect to try 10 around release time, after making a backup disk. Haven't messed with 10 yet but have heard some good things about it. Probably won't bother if it is going to expire in a year.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Surfingringo wrote:Its really hard to believe that the windows platform almost buried apple/macintosh isn't it? Apple was light years ahead from the start but got "out marketed". Good to see the chips finally fall into their proper places.
It's sometimes hard to understand what people seek. I was curious so I bought a Mac a few years ago. I found it to be very crude compared to my PC's, sort of like comparing Windows 95 to Windows 7. And on top of that it cost the same amount as my PC that was about 4 times as fast.para

I haven't thought up a parallel in the knife world.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'll probably keep running Win7 for awhile. I used to wait until the first service pack came out for a new OS. Now they don't do that anymore, so I'll just wait awhile so they can work out the worse bugs.

Gonna run linux on the older boxes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:Given my experience with Windows 8.1, I'll upgrade to 10 when I can no longer salvage enough hardware to keep my Windows 7 machine running.
Exactly this. Won't touch 8 if they give it to me for free and have no intentions of leaving 7 until they force me to. Which will probably be sooner than later. I don't think they'll ever support an OS again for as long as they did XP.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

gull wing wrote:I don't have a clue as to what to do.
I have Windows 8.1, it works fine, of course I am a minimum user. I've read recent articles of people disliking 8.1 so much, that this is why they are offering this Win 10 for free.
questions 1.How much will I have to "re-learn" with Windows 10?
2. Will I have to pay for Win 10 after the first year and how much?
From what I have read so far Windows 10 will be free for all pc's running Windows 7/8.1. So long as you are running a genuine copy of Windows you don't pay anything. Microsoft will give you a new product key. The software will only be available for free download for 1 year.

Windows 10 will be released on 29th July and if you take up the option it will download in the background until you have the whole package. It could take a while before you get the whole application.

If you are running Windows "Home", edition then you will get Windows 10 Home, likewise if you have Pro you will get WIndows 10 Pro (like for like).

They say if you don't like Windows 10 that you can roll back to your old operating system however I think you need to be careful about this and always back up all your data.

I have now signed up for the release but I think I might wait until the Autumn before I download it, just want to see what the early reviews say. I'm so used to Windows 7 now but if Windows 10 is faster then I probably will upgrade.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bdblue wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Its really hard to believe that the windows platform almost buried apple/macintosh isn't it? Apple was light years ahead from the start but got "out marketed". Good to see the chips finally fall into their proper places.
It's sometimes hard to understand what people seek. I was curious so I bought a Mac a few years ago. I found it to be very crude compared to my PC's, sort of like comparing Windows 95 to Windows 7. And on top of that it cost the same amount as my PC that was about 4 times as fast.para

Interesting thoughts. Pretty sure you are falling into the minority with that opinion though. Crude is the exact word I would have used, only in the the opposite context. As my Dad always says though, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I really hated w8, when I got my new computer. It took me a week to get used to it and learn everything, what I needed. It was crushing quite often. Upgrade to w 8.1 made things a little better. less crushes. I really hope that W10 will be better. I will wait a little to read reviews and microsoft to fix some bugs.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Surfingringo wrote:
bdblue wrote:

Interesting thoughts. Pretty sure you are falling into the minority with that opinion though. Crude is the exact word I would have used, only in the the opposite context. As my Dad always says though, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. :)
Windows forces one to get immersed in the worlds of service packs, anti-malware programs, driver and DLL compatibility, hardware levels relative to accessories and peripherals, constant updates, minimum acceptable levels of CPU, firmware and memory and all of the numberless technical requirements of learning and supporting a kluge-ridden, antiquated OS originally built for 16-bit architecture. It's fine if you like that, but according to a technology article I read a few months ago analyzing Microsoft's fall, Apple makes more from iPhone sales yearly than Microsoft does from their entire product line. There is a reason for that. Apple iOS and OS X leads one into an experience that doesn't require you to become a mini-computer geek to just get stuff done.

I've been working in IT and digital computer related fields since 1964. I retired with 15 years of service with IBM. Once I turned in my company-issued ThinkPad to IBM when I retired, there hasn't been a Windows device in my house or on my person, and there won't be. They are too high maintenance and old-school and I predict that ten years from now there will be few of them left.

Sorry for being so vague, but in my experience, compared to other IT systems and applications, Windows continues to suck.

(Composed and submitted on my iMac with no Ctrl/Alt/Del actions required.)
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

MichaelScott wrote:Windows forces one to get immersed in the worlds of service packs, anti-malware programs, driver and DLL compatibility, hardware levels relative to accessories and peripherals, constant updates, minimum acceptable levels of CPU, firmware and memory and all of the numberless technical requirements of learning and supporting a kluge-ridden, antiquated OS originally built for 16-bit architecture. It's fine if you like that, but according to a technology article I read a few months ago analyzing Microsoft's fall, Apple makes more from iPhone sales yearly than Microsoft does from their entire product line.
I own a Mac as well as PC's so I get to see both sides. My Mac frequently wants to download updates for itself, just like PC's do. There are viruses aimed at Macs just like PC's. The Apple OS in some ways is more antique than all MS software. My Mac cost almost exactly the same amount as my PC. The Mac has a 2.0GHz dual core processor and I believe 320GB hard drive. The PC has a quad core processor at 3.8GHz and 3 times as much hard drive space. That is one reason that Apple has higher profit- they are able to sell lower spec hardware for high prices. I wish I could do that.

They do make a lot of profit on iphone sales. I figured that one day they would wake up and realize how much more money they make on phones compared to computers and stop making computers. I like my iphones and have no problems with them, but itunes is really bad software. My wife and I both have major problems with it and with a little internet searching I find that a lot of people have problems.

Now come to think of it, I have been playing with my wife's old laptop. I put an SSD and Win7 in it for testing. I was thinking of buying a legitimate copy of Win7, maybe I need to try it with Win10. Can we call it WinTen, maybe the Apple ads will start calling it WinTenTen.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

bdblue wrote: I own a Mac as well as PC's so I get to see both sides. My Mac frequently wants to download updates for itself, just like PC's do. There are viruses aimed at Macs just like PC's. The Apple OS in some ways is more antique than all MS software. My Mac cost almost exactly the same amount as my PC. The Mac has a 2.0GHz dual core processor and I believe 320GB hard drive. The PC has a quad core processor at 3.8GHz and 3 times as much hard drive space. That is one reason that Apple has higher profit- they are able to sell lower spec hardware for high prices. I wish I could do that.

They do make a lot of profit on iphone sales. I figured that one day they would wake up and realize how much more money they make on phones compared to computers and stop making computers. I like my iphones and have no problems with them, but itunes is really bad software. My wife and I both have major problems with it and with a little internet searching I find that a lot of people have problems.

Now come to think of it, I have been playing with my wife's old laptop. I put an SSD and Win7 in it for testing. I was thinking of buying a legitimate copy of Win7, maybe I need to try it with Win10. Can we call it WinTen, maybe the Apple ads will start calling it WinTenTen.
I'd just note that all of your statements are really a matter of personal opinion and anecdote, not grounded in fact. My personal opinion is, having worked with and supported digital computer systems from dedicated military systems, mini and micro computers, DOS, CP/M, Windows, Apple OS, etc. since 1964, is that Apple systems, OS and iOS are superior to Windows and Apple hardware is so much better it's like comparing a Spyderco knife to a cheap knockoff.

You are welcome to your opinions and I wish you luck with your choice of computers, operating systems and anti-virus software.

Team Innovation