Cool find!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Surfingringo

Cool find!!!

Post by Surfingringo »

And it's not even a knife! But it sure makes a great knife accessory! I have been wearing the dogtag lately but rarely use it because I have to take the whole cord off of my neck. So I dug around the web for a quick release option and found this. It is a two sided magnet. Works great! Quite strong and holds put to 6-8 pounds I think. This is a total game changer for the dogtag and other small knives that you might want to neck carry. I am going to order another one just so I can have a second knife rigged to switch when I want.

https://youtu.be/DwVjc5CJHeE
MichaelScott

Re: Cool find!!!

Post by MichaelScott »

Well, ****, there goes more $s that won't end up in the old savings account.

Nice idea, like the net keeper magnetic gizmo. Thanks for the video.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Very Cool! Thanks for sharing....Doc:)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

OMG that is cool. I think I might try a few in key chain use too
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Link to where you purchased?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey SURF me & one of my bosses do a scrap metal run every Friday and I have a crude magnet I found off the inner windings of an electric motor ( a big one at that) and it's probably about the strongest magnet I've ever found up till now. How does this new toy of yours compare to something like that? The reason being is because something like what you've found would probably be a lot more conventient than carrying a big hunk of pure metal around with me every Friday.

This could be a great accessory for the Great Spyder Factory to offer up as a novelty IMO. Actually when you think about it an EDC magnet could have a lot of handy uses to it. OH and by the way folks H-1 is magnetic for all of you curious about Nitrogen based steels.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Where'd you get it? Very cool.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Where did you find it?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Break-Apart ... t+keychain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they have some stronger magnets too but this one is quite strong...especially for a small knife. I am thinking to rig up something like a clipless dragonfly too.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Let's see $18 for the key thingy and $80 for the Dog Tag knife. Thanks a lot SG there goes a cool hundred on more stuff I don't need.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Let's see $18 for the key thingy and $80 for the Dog Tag knife. Thanks a lot SG there goes a cool hundred on more stuff I don't need.
Hah, I don't need it either. Its total "man jewelry", but whatever. It is a cool little setup though. :cool:
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Let's see $18 for the key thingy and $80 for the Dog Tag knife. Thanks a lot SG there goes a cool hundred on more stuff I don't need.
The new carbon fiber dogtag has been released this week and should be a bit cheaper than the titanium version :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Hah, I don't need it either. Its total "man jewelry", but whatever. It is a cool little setup though. :cool:

I don't "need" anything, my CTS 204P Para 2 would serve me solo forever but we both know that dog don't hunt.

Carbon fiber you say?

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:

I don't "need" anything, my CTS 204P Para 2 would serve me solo forever but we both know that dog don't hunt.

Carbon fiber you say?
Here ya go Harley, should be a lot cheaper from the online dealers :)

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=924
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Donut

Post by Donut »

Hopefully that magnet is strong enough. I imagine it wouldn't be too tough to make a push button release like that, but it would be tougher to re-attach.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Donut wrote:Hopefully that magnet is strong enough. I imagine it wouldn't be too tough to make a push button release like that, but it would be tougher to re-attach.
I read that it was able to hold 6 to 8 pounds so I am betting it is strong enough.

Donut

Post by Donut »

I wear a medical device that attaches to me with a fairly strong sticker. Once while exiting a super market, I had an empty hand carry basket that I lost grip of, I trapped it between my hand and my body, it pulled the sticker right off.

With that expensive of a knife, I would rather know that it came detached.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Donut wrote:I wear a medical device that attaches to me with a fairly strong sticker. Once while exiting a super market, I had an empty hand carry basket that I lost grip of, I trapped it between my hand and my body, it pulled the sticker right off.

With that expensive of a knife, I would rather know that it came detached.
It is quite strong but it could absolutely detach while carrying something heavy or banging into something. I like to believe I am pretty observant of stuff like that...we will see. I will let you know how it goes. For now I've been wearing it for a week with zero issue. I've even had it on the kayak fighting fish and crashing through surf.

Edit: It is a valid concern though and one that has crossed my mind more than once. There is definitely a dollar limit on what kind of knife I will carry like this. The dogtag is at the far upper end of that limit. You won't see me carrying my Tusk like that on the water. :eek:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, I hear you. I'm just expressing my concern. The utility of it does make it seem like a great option.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Very cool find, Surf! That would also be good for jewelers and watchmakers and anyone who has hands on movement of small parts that can be easilly lost and would be attracted to a magnet. Thank you for posting it.