Favorite semi-auto handgun platform? (poll)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Favorite semi auto handgun platform?

Glock
27%
48%
S&W
3%
Kahr
3%
Kel-Tec
3%
Ruger
3%
Sig P
9%
M9(or the like from Beretta)
No votes
Other (please specify in the replies.)
3%

Total votes: 33

Knivesinedc

Favorite semi-auto handgun platform? (poll)

Post by Knivesinedc »

Hey everybody. So after many great answers on my last post "Best starter handguns", I thought I would ask what everyone's favorite semi auto platform is since I will most likely be going for a Semi-auto instead of a revolver. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. -Jake-
Last edited by Knivesinedc on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpyderNut

Re: Favorite semi-auto handgun platform? (poll)

Post by SpyderNut »

Glock's are great, but it is very tough to beat a Sig Sauer, IMHO. I'm still planning on getting a P238 some day. Some day...;)
Studey

Post by Studey »

I like Glocks a lot, they just plain work. I carried one for 7 years and am very proficient with it. That said....I can shoot most other handguns better. The Glock fit for me just isn't great. I have since done a grip reduction, and that helped a lot.

That said...there is no pistol that I shoot better than a 1911. Plus, I love the fit in my hand, power, heritage, and in my opinion, they make for a very practical carry gun, especially with an aluminum frame. You have a thin slide for comfort, but a hand filling grip that's easy to grip and shoot. 1911 gets my vote, though like any gun, it's important to make sure your example works well.

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I don't pick favorites in knives, and I try not to pick favorites in guns. I like the 1911 platform, and I like the Glock platform. I recognize the quality of the SIG platform such as the P220, but they aren't my favorites. I don't have any experience with some of the major platforms such as the Beretta, the Springfield XD, the S&W M&P so I can't really speak about them. I have some experience with HK and I like them too.

Among the ones that I like, just like with knives, I like the 1911 platform for some things, the Glock platform for other things, etc. That's why I don't pick a single favorite.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I like the S&W M&P Shield in 9 mm, and for more round capacity, when appropriate, the Ruger SR9c.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I always carried a 1911 and did so in the Army, as well. I was working in the firearms industry when Glock arrived on the scene and we were transitioning several police departments to them. The Glock rep would drive up towing a G17 on a rope tied to his bumper. Then, he would drop the pistol into a mud hole, stomp it in and completely covering it. He would then take the pistol, shake it out, rack the slide and fire a full magazine. Incredible. So, I bought one and it was love right off. My father, a WWII vet, laughed at my plastic gun. So, one day we were out at the farm and decided to do some target practice. I had some clay birds and set them up on the dam. My father was taught point shooting in WWII and that is how he shot. So, he banged away with his 1911, and if he had been shooting at a man, the man would have been mortally wounded. However, he never quite hit one of those birds, but I was breaking all of mine. So, with a smirk I tried to hide, I suggested he give my plastic gun a try. From the first shot, while point shooting mind you, he broke every bird. He went down that day and swapped his 1911 for a Glock. Glocks Rock!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I really don't have enough experience to truly weigh in, but I love my full sized M&P. The gun feels very natural to grip, and I love how the aesthetics have some flair while still being no nonsense. When I was trying out semi-autos I just didn't shoot the glock well.

I've been kicking around picking up a 1911 just because any gun collection feels incomplete without it. However, I don't have any enablers in that hobby so I never get around to it.

I've also been interested in trying out a CZ. They seem like the 1911 of the 9mm realm.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

S&W M&P compact.. .40 cal.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have a bunch of handguns, and I like most of them (the exception being a .380 of all things). My go to gun is my Glock 20 with pre-ban magazines sporting +2 floorplates. With one in the chamber and a full mag, that gives me 18 rounds of full power 10mm before the first reload. If that doesn't solve the problem, it's time to call in an airstrike. When I was shooting competition regularly, I consistently shot my best scores with that gun. I love the 1911, and I really love my Desert Eagle .44 Mag, but for a combination of accuracy, power and capacity, I haven't found anything to rival that Glock. And while Studey above did a grip reduction on his 9mm, I put a Hogue Monogrip on mine to get it up to a comfortable size. The 20 and 21 are just right for me without modification.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

I guess it really falls under what role the handgun is being used for, my intentions? Use whatever gets me to my AR!

Deep Carry/Pocket: Kahr MK9
EDC/IWB: Springfield XDs9 Bitone
Range/Home: Walther PPQ M2
Zombie Apocalypse: CZ Scorpion Evo w/30 round mags full of +P+
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I'm a total noob when it comes to guns. I have one, a PPK (which I enjoy very much), and that's it. I have shot others, but still my preference for a hand gun is based largely on form, not function. I don't compete, heck I'm not that good a shot at all yet, so I don't care that much about accuracy. I'm not expecting to have to take down Dwayne Johnson, so power isn't all that important to me either. I'd rather focus on becoming a good shot than knowing I can penetrate an engine block at 100 yards. And I live in Connecticut so capacity means nothing nowadays.

What is important is looks and feel. Hence the Walther. Feels great in my hand, it's compact and slim, it's a classy, sexy gun, and...well...you know.

There are two others on my wish list. Obviously the 1911. Single stack is just the way to go for me. I've held a Beretta and it felt like I was holding a softball. Not the feel I enjoy. The 1911 feels much better and looks beautiful in all its forms from the most rugged, worn WW2 relic, to 50 cent's custom piece. The other is the HK USP. Now I know it's not a single stack, and to be honest I've never held one, but I absolutely love the look and as soon as money permits, I'm going to track one down and try it out. Stainless slide for that killer two tone look.

Glocks are butt ugly, Berettas are fat, Sigs are boring, and just about every other gun I can think of is just not something I want to own for some irrational, judgmental reason. It's just like knives to me. They all shoot stuff, so why not carry the ones you like? I'm sure I'll warm up to some as time passes and I gain more experience, but for now that's my amateur view on the semi auto pistol world.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I own many handguns....too many according to my ex-wife....The ones I carry are the following-

1) 1911- I carry either my Para Ordnance P-16 (converted long ago to 10mm), Commander in .45acp or Commander in .38 Super. (everyday carry guns)
2) Glock 20- Set up exactly like Yablanowitz' G-20 and carried for the same reasons. (my "things may get unfriendly" gun)
3) S&W Model 29-2 .44 magnum w/ 4in. barrel. (Woods walking and winter time carry gun, easier to conceal under a coat.)
4) Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special...first generation gun with barrel bobbed to 2.25 inches. (My "wearing a suit" concealment revolver.)

A carry gun should first and foremost reliable...then accurate.Buy what fits you, then spend the same amount of money on ammunition and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE until operating the firearm is second nature.

And if you have doubts about using it on your fellow man in a life-or-death situation....don't get or carry one.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like Glocks for their simplicity and reliability.

For smooth, nice, fits-my-hand-like-a-glove-ness, I have to go with HK. Who hate me, I know.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I picked the Glock on this one. It is extremely reliable when kept in a firm grip. It eats everything I've ever put through them. All the different models and different pistols of the same kind. Definitely not so with the 1911's I've had and been issued. I don't know about now but it used to be you could pay for a 1911 model Colt, chopped or full size then have to have them tweaked to work properly. I always had to go through a mess of magazines and try them out. Some were junk. Some worked only with ball. Some everything. That is when I began numbering clips so I could keep track of which ones to use for carry, which were training only, etc.

I have had numerous. Plus I was issued 1911's in the army as an MP. My issue when in one duty station was a collectors dream made by Singer Sewing machine... in WW2. It looked cool but was junk at the range.

I've seen ones that were so finely tuned they could feed any round including empty cases but those were ones worked over by competent smiths. I've tried Kimbers and some others but by then I never could get myself to trust my life to them. I have never had one misfeed with any Glock I've shot. Not one. A Ruger P85 was the only other one I had over a thousand rounds without a malfunction. It sure wasn't as instinctive shooting as a Glock though

Still, If I was to carry expecting to have a good chance of using it for defensive purposes I'll take a Revolver, A glock, then from there a list going down from the S&W line ( not 4516, had enough of that too) through Sig, H&K, Ruger, etc.

I sort of Equate the FRN Endura to the Glock for some reason. They both just work for me grip and ergonomics wise.

And that would only be because I couldn't carry a Benelli 12 ga or an H&K G3, or M16/203. Pistols are poor substitutes for rifles ( or shotguns in certain circumstances).
Studey

Post by Studey »

I agree with the Endura/Glock comparison. I think that the 1911s coming out now are better than ever. You feed them Wilson or McCormick mags, and you should largely be good to go. There's no arguing, however, that they require more maintenance and consideration. To me, the payoff is worth it.

FWIW, I've seen malfunctions with lots of Glocks as well, though I'd agree with the generalization that as a whole, there are fewer incidents.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have had feed failures with my Glock 20, but after I took the remaining portion of that box of ammo and ran it through the seating/crimping die on my reloading press, the problem vanished. All of the malfunctions I've had with my Glocks have been traced to bad ammunition, and probably could have been avoided by following Glock's instruction to never use reloaded ammo. I've never been that wealthy, though.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Yours is Bigger Than Mine

Post by Mad Mac »

One day at the office, my co-workers were talking about their 9 mm pistols. I didn't say anything. Finally, one asked what I shot. I replied, "11 mm." Of course, a .45 ACP is actually 11.25 mm, but what's .25 mm among friends. There is no point to this story. It just seemed funny to me at the time.

It all depends what the shooter is going to do with the pistol: competition, plinking, accessorizing, self defense, concealed carry, nightstand, glove box and so forth. I'm an old fart who came up with the 1911, reloaded and fired thousands of rounds in USPSA competition, and am of the opinion that there is nothing like a tuned 1911 for fast, precision shooting. Having a 1911 means never having to say you're sorry, never having to apologize. But I could be wrong. I often am.

I have a concealed carry license and have tried many pistols and methods of carry. As much as I love the 1911 and the .45 ACP, my EDC is the diminutive Seecamp. Mine is .32 ACP though they offer it in .380 now. Hides in the hip pocket of my jeans. Not that I do, but it's the most pistol I want to carry all day every day concealed.

Now that they have passed open carry in Texas, I am looking for a belt holster for my Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. (I also have an XDs in .45 that I actually may try carrying.)

Enjoy the search. It's not a 200,000 year commitment. I've gone through more than a dozen handguns in my search for a favorite.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JohnnyGeek

Post by JohnnyGeek »

Keep in mind with regard to open carry holsters in TX, the new law requires a shoulder or belt holster with positive retention device (thumb break, etc). I haven't decided if I'll do open or not - if I do, certainly not much - but either way, I'm going to have to get a new holster as mine are all OWB open top without a thumb break.
-----
My Spydies: Embassy Auto C121S (Grey) | Embassy Auto C121S (Silver) | Stretch FRN ZDP-189 C90BL (Blue) | Manix 2 1st SF 154CM

My Wishlist: Embassy Auto in Black | Vallotton Sub-Hilt | Ramco/Laguiole | Hungarian
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The poll did not give us many choices. I love Glocks and used to carry one regularly. However, I was just as likely to drop a KelTec P3AT in my pocket with a pocket holster made by KC Campbell. Or, I would drop a S&W J Frame Body Guard in my pocket with a KC Campbell pocket holster. More practical, less baggage.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Personally, if I just want to go out and shoot some targets and could have the one I wanted, it would be a 1911, preferably a Ruger SR1911. The 1911 was the handgun I trained with, qualified on and carried for years in the Navy. Sentimental, of course, but still a tried and true handgun.

I've shot Glocks and they are fine guns, but their ergonometrics don't suit me. I prefer and have a Ruger SR9c which can accommodate a 17 or 10 round magazine. But, for concealed carry I think the S&W M&P and the new Ruger LC9 with the improved trigger are hard to beat. I also like the Ruger LCP because it's effective with the right ammo, light, small, reliable, double-action and can be carried about anywhere on your person you choose.

As many people have said, the best gun is the one you have with you at the time.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation