Lactose intolerance solution

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Lactose intolerance solution

Post by Doc Dan »

My wife, like many people, is lactose intolerant. My own father developed lactose intolerance when he was in his upper 70's, as many elderly do. Lactose intolerance causes embarrassing episodes I won't go into, and causes a lot of discomfort. So many things have milk products in them it is hard to avoid milk altogether and people have to make sure they have their Lactaid or similar medications with them. I found a simple solution: yogurt. A lactose intolerant person lacks the enzyme lactase and cannot break down the lactose from milk products in the small intestine. Yogurt sounds counter-intuitive because it is a milk product. The beneficial bacteria in yogurt produces exactly the enzyme lactase that an intolerant person cannot manufacture. They live happily in a person's gut and produce beneficial digestive aids, such as lactase.

In my wife's case, I had to start her with a very tiny amount of yogurt, less than an 1/8 of a teaspoon because she was so sensitive. I did this for a few days, then moved to a quarter teaspoon. I gradually increased the amount of Greek yogurt (we like the taste better) until, now, she can take two whole tablespoons. She can now eat a whole chocolate cake! She takes milk in her coffee and tea without issue. The yogurt did the trick.

If you know anyone who is lactose intolerant (even if they won't admit it!) then start them on a small bit of yogurt and let those germs go to work for them. (this is not medical advice and ymmv)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Lactose intolerance solution

Post by Doc Dan »

I realized I failed to mention that this solution is not for milk allergy but only for lactose intolerance. For lactose intolerance it works quite well. If a person has to be on antibiotics, then the yogurt can be started again once the course is finished.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PolarisDesu

Re: Lactose intolerance solution

Post by PolarisDesu »

Very good tip, thanks a lot! (I am slightly lactose intolerant)