Beets

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Beets

Post by Doc Dan »

Beets get a bad rap. In America, for some reason I cannot fathom, beets are pickled. It is no wonder people do not like them. However, here in SE Asia, the Indians cook beetroot with coconut (not sweet), onion, and spices. It is superb. Beets are one of the best food a person can eat for health reasons. And, beets taste really good if they are not the usual pickled kind forced down the gullets of unsuspecting and deprived Americans.
There are a lot of good recipes for Beetroot Poriyal. There are all sorts of other recipes I have seen. I even found one for Mexican style salsa using beetroot. Yum.
Beetroot has been shown to lower blood pressure, help in preventing dementia, and increasing exercise performance, among other things.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Re: Beets

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Funny, you may be surprised that MANY Americans here in the breadbasket of our country actually LOVE pickled beets. I actually have folks call and ask me to can some extra jars for them....who knew.....At every summer picnic/reunion/BBQ/etc....the beet bowl is emptied and refilled several times.

Seriously, I understand your point. Beets are stuck in a rut here in the US, sad because there are many excellent recipes available for them. But I do still love pickled beets.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Dan, I am one of the unsuspecting and deprived Americans that has had my gullet assaulted by the foul pickled and canned beets that you speak of. I do believe that they can be prepared in a way that would make them tasty but I don't know if I have the skills to do so. You may have just motivated me enough, though, to look up some recipes and give it try.

BTW I almost didn't read this thread just because it had the word "beets" in the title. :D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I eat beets all the time, and they are awesome indeed. We Americans do a lot of silly things with food and pickled or canned beets are definitely an example. That's not to say they can't be good that way, but it's definitely a crime to ONLY eat them that way. Another is celery. We've convinced ourselves that "it's healthy" so we choke it down raw 90% of the time. We've totally forgotten its real use as an aromatic in soups, stocks, and stews.

If you can turn on an oven and manipulate aluminum foil, you can make roasted beets. Do this if you have no other ideas.

I'll have to try the beet "curry" you mention!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Just be prepared, and remember...it's not internal bleeding! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Did someone say beets?

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Surfingringo wrote:Just be prepared, and remember...it's not internal bleeding! ;)
Haha yea, I've had to talk down a few friends on this one. And if it ever was internal bleeding, it wouldn't come out beet-red!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I love beets. :D :cool:
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Ah, without beets you couldn't have decent Borscht- and I'm not talking about that pink fabric-softener insipid dross lurking on the brunch buffet

I'm talking about that rib-sticking solid meal-in-a-bowl that means rapid movement is off the agenda for the next hour or so.
tvenuto wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Just be prepared, and remember...it's not internal bleeding! ;)
Haha yea, I've had to talk down a few friends on this one. And if it ever was internal bleeding, it wouldn't come out beet-red!
On a related note: During my youth we would regularly get blitzed on "Lager 'n' Black"- which is common or garden lager with a shot of blackcurrant cordial in the top. The resulting drink is purply-pink and refreshing.....After ending up "excessively refreshed" I happened to be talking to God on the big white telephone* and had a horrible moment where I thought I'd burst a blood vessel in my stomach, and was bleeding out then and there....Then I remembered.

*His name is Huuey :D
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like them with vegetables and they are rely good in a salad
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I will see if my favorite restaurant will give me their recipe. I know it is not complicated. It is simply beetroot cubed, unsweetened coconut (good luck in America as most is sweetened for baking), purple onion, hot chilis, curry leaves, and I do not know what kind of spices. It is awesome.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Excellent thread. Beets are really falling out of favore in many circles.
tvenuto wrote:
Haha, yeah. It's really a good way to see what your "transit time" is, if you get my drift. I seem to process food in about 12 hours but I keep reading where some people take 3 or more DAYS! Yikes!
RanCoWeAla wrote:they are rely good in a salad
I was going to suggest that. I just run them through the shredder blade of my food processor. Great addition to a salad.

Ken
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Doc Dan wrote:I will see if my favorite restaurant will give me their recipe. I know it is not complicated. It is simply beetroot cubed, unsweetened coconut (good luck in America as most is sweetened for baking), purple onion, hot chilis, curry leaves, and I do not know what kind of spices. It is awesome.
Here ya go- 2nd recipe down- Beetroot Pachandi ;)
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ot-recipes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Luckily, in America, we also have Amazon: unsweetened coconut flakes.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

tvenuto wrote:Luckily, in America, we also have Amazon: unsweetened coconut flakes.
Living in Wolverhampton, I can walk around the corner and find an Indian or Pakistani supermarket....If you're heading down the road of learning about the many types of curry, I'd suggest a visit to the West Midlands.

It's also a bit closer than India. ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I hate beets!!! and I'm of Russian Decent....Are you kidding me????
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I hate beets!!! and I'm of Russian Decent....Are you kidding me????
You poor fellow. That is because you have never had them South Indian or Mexican style. The spices and hot peppers, plus coconut really do make a huge difference in taste.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Steamed beets are delicious as are pickled beets. Cold they are good in a salad.

Beet greens are pretty good too.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Beets are awesome, and yes, put those greens in a soup!
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love beets. I pickle beets and eggs together. These are my own homegrown beets and homegrown eggs. :)

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?