anyone edc a retractable pen?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tvenuto

Re: anyone edc a retractable pen?

Post by tvenuto »

chuckd wrote: I carry a Montblanc at work
Is it made out of "precious resin?" I laughed aloud when I saw that claim in my skymall magazine the last time I flew. A quick internet search shows others calling shenanigans on this claim as well, with no indication of what makes it precious. Maybe it's coveted by a golem-like creature?

I don't EDC a pen. It seems like the world has a surfeit pens. I save my cash for knives. We can always use more knives.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I always carry a pen because I'm often in the wilderness and have found one to be very useful in emergency situations (for example, writing the time of a tourniquet application on a patient so that the ED knows what was done). For similar reasons, I often carry a small amount of paper.

If you just want a very nice (not tactical, and not all weather) pen, check out the Levenger stuff. My wife writes more than any person I know (she's a doctor and still uses old fashioned pen and paper for making notes to herself to dictate from, plus has to sign her name literally hundreds of times per week) and she loves her Levenger pens.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

tvenuto wrote:
Is it made out of "precious resin?" I laughed aloud when I saw that claim in my skymall magazine the last time I flew. A quick internet search shows others calling shenanigans on this claim as well, with no indication of what makes it precious. Maybe it's coveted by a golem-like creature?

I don't EDC a pen. It seems like the world has a surfeit pens. I save my cash for knives. We can always use more knives.
Haha yes, yes it is. I have also wondered what makes it 'precious' but love the pens enough to shrug it off. Aside from the silly claim of 'precious resin' they are fantastic writing instruments, and make writing enjoyable.

Trying out different ink/nib combinations is much like steels and edge profiles to me, and I really enjoy it.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I can imagine. In my search I found a blog that was lamenting their strange decision to gussy up the marketing language with false claims. He felt their product was good enough to stand on its own merit so why not just focus on that?

Ha I can see how pens, like knives, are a whole rabbit hole to go down while making your friends and family worry about your sanity.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tvenuto wrote:I can imagine. In my search I found a blog that was lamenting their strange decision to gussy up the marketing language with false claims. He felt their product was good enough to stand on its own merit so why not just focus on that?

Ha I can see how pens, like knives, are a whole rabbit hole to go down while making your friends and family worry about your sanity.
The scary part is, you can take the same traits in you that make you scrutinize knives for various reasons, and apply those traits to pens, watches, flashlights, and all sorts of other amazing money burning toys. I would love to have one of the nicer titanium bolt action pens, but the prices are crazy for my pen needs. The Boker I carry I believe I got on sale for $45, which is still spendy for a pen but it has proven to be quite tough and I think has saved me quite a bit on disposable pens. Fisher also make some excellent pens as well as cartridges, but I wasn't happy with any of their clip offerings so I only use their cartridges. I did carry a Fisher Astronaut for a while, and that is a really super badass pen, but I bent the clip out and it can't really be fixed so I don't carry it anymore.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Mathew Martin 375Cu. Great small pen to consider :).
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

My favorite pen is the Uni ball Jetstream but I have always wanted a really good quality keychain pen
brick

Post by brick »

I discovered fountain pens a few years ago and that made me really picky about how a pen writes. If have to exert pressure to make ink come out then a) it's going to irritate me and b) nobody else is going to be able to read what I wrote (and maybe not even me). Around that time I came to appreciate the Pilot G2. They're disposable and un-flashy, but I'd be hard-pressed to find a mainstream retractable pen that writes nearly as well.

If the Taichung factory suddenly made a pen that took G2 cartridges I'd be all over it. ;)
-Tim
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

The funny thing is, even with having and carrying fancy fountain pens, I still have a Fisher space pen in my pocket every day regardless haha
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

Evil D wrote:I absolutely won't carry a pen that isn't retractable. Not a chance, I don't care how nice it is, you could give me a solid platinum Hinderer pen and I'd just sell it. Two handed pens are right there with two handed knives and just have no place in my life lol.

That said, I've carried a Boker Cal .50 for about a year now and I like it. I use a Fisher space pen cartridge in it. I like it for two reasons; 1) the clip is "pocket knife style" and can be removed and bent to make it tighter. This is a HUGE issue for me, as it seems I'm always snagging and breaking clips, so I can't carry something like a Parker Jotter or I just destroy the clip, and 2) the bolt action is just fun.

My only complaints are that the area around the bolt has worn quite a bit from the bolt rubbing it, since the bolt is steel and the pen is machined aluminum, and that being aluminum if you drop it and it lands right on the tip, it's going to dent and on a few occasions that dent has prevented the pen tip from coming out. I've been able to fix it by reaming the hole out with my multi tool though. Overall, for the price I haven't found a pen that suits my preferences better.
I've been carrying the same model for about 14 months. I found the bolt action a little hard to get used to at first but it became second nature after a week or so. I used a Fisher Space Pen refill for a couple months but I started having problems with the refill. I think I might have gotten a bad one because I've read mostly good reviews on them. In all honesty, the cartridge that came with the pen wasn't bad at all.

I switched to Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 refills and I'm pretty impressed with those. As for the pen, I have to agree. Great pen for under 50 bucks. The finish is way more durable than I expected it to be. I expected that by now the finish would be pretty worn. The photo was taken when the pen was new but but it doesn't really look much different now. A couple of very fine scratches but nothing like I would have thought after 14 months of almost daily use.

I like the short, fat design of the Boker. Fits my hand perfectly and doesn't take up a lot of room like some longer pens. I've never really been a pen fanatic. I just wanted something a little different than what the average person carries and I wanted a pen that would last me a long time. So far so good.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine has worn quite a bit. It rides clipped next to my EDC knife and where the two rub has not just worn the coating off but also smoothed down one of the ribs in the aluminum. All hard edges have worn the coating off. I don't mind though. It all ages character.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I use Zebra Expandz due to the shorter size when pocketing. My color is no longer found on the web, but it's a very nice blue (I'm guessing darker than Endura FRN blue).

Edit to add, when I saw the title 'retractable', I thought it means something similar ...
Last edited by anagarika on Sat May 23, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Submitted once but posted 3 times? Sorry :eek:
Last edited by anagarika on Sat May 23, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Submitted once but posted 3 times? Sorry :eek:
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

My Lamys are a medium fountain, and a fine ballpoint...with walnut ink that I made...
Dark brown, but the next batch this month will be near black...
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:My Lamys are a medium fountain, and a fine ballpoint...with walnut ink that I made...
Dark brown, but the next batch this month will be near black...
Any chance of a picture of that?? I have been dabbling more and more in inks and walnut sounds gorgeous.

Right now I have a navy blue and palm green in my two pens that are in the 'working' mode. The green is lovely and has a lot of character to it in each stroke.
Stuart Ackerman

Find walnut husks, not the shells...

Then do this...
http://yougrowgirl.com/make-black-walnut-ink/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this...
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum ... alnut-ink/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I carry a Matthew Martin carbon fiber and titanium 400 series.

http://www.mcmpens.com/pens/
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Find walnut husks, not the shells...

Then do this...
http://yougrowgirl.com/make-black-walnut-ink/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this...
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum ... alnut-ink/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is a great walk through of the process! Thanks!

I am also on fountainpennetwork on occasion!

Do you happen to know of the ink going through a piston filler? I know some inks are meant only for calligraphy pens, but I'm not to well versed on the subject.
Stuart Ackerman

I filter my ink through a coffee filter...
Yup, my Lamys, and assorted cheap and nasty fountain pens with pistons work fine...