Computer Question: Is this virus or what?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Computer Question: Is this virus or what?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Hello everyone, I would appreciate advice and ideas regarding a computer issue I had been having from anyone on here who is in the know about computers and technical support, thank you in advance!

Here is the issue

I have not been online because my computer has been strange. Perhaps you know what could be wrong? Let me give you the basic details and tell me if any of this is something you would know about, ie, if you have seen or had experience with this in the past, please:

1 I "cold booted" my computer (I know, I should not have) because it was slower than I liked, I did this several times, just pressing the power button to turn it off, instead of going through the normal shut down process.

2 When I would then turn it back on, the start function said "Start Windows Normally" or start in safe mode. I pressed start/bootup normally.

3 I began to get an error message saying "Orphaned files" and "corrupted files". something like that.

4 Then the computer began to freeze up, and I would get a BLUE SCREEN.

5 I called the antivirus company and they had me uninstall the anti virus and then re install it. I began to re install it several days ago and the computer would freeze up before I could re install it, so I turned it off and have not been online until a little while ago. The odd thing: The Anti virus software is activated and appears to be working and this moment since I have been online I do not see any problem. I DID see one of those error messages about "Missing Dll files" or something, but I ignored it, and for now the computer appears to be running okay.

Do you have any ideas or speculation as to what was causing the problem and any advice ? One other thing: I began to perform a SYSTEM RESTORE but I received a message "System Restore unable to continue" a little while ago, and yet now, as I said, it appears to be working normally. Very odd!

Again, as of NOW, the computer is working fine. I was able to check my email and do some browsing and log onto the forum here with no problems.

My original plan was to either do a SYSTEM RESTORE or the even more drastic Reformating of the hard drive. As stated, I began a System restore but I got a pop up message that said the system restore could not continue, so I left it at that, and oddly enough, now it is okay, so far.

Should I expect any problem later on? What should I do? Thank you all again!
Ankerson

Re: Computer Question: Is this virus or what?

Post by Ankerson »

I would run a check disk before doing anything.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

^^ Ditto ^^ :)

Actually, I don't think an AntiVirus has anything to do with this issue. :rolleyes:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Not shutting down normally can corrupt some system files and drivers. Restarting usually fixes this by rewriting (copying) the files from the boot volume. If those files got corrupted on disk, they would need to be restored. However, being you have Windows, you have issues.

If you reformat the hard drive you will need to do a full OS install and recover ALL of your personal files, bookmarks, etc. Assuming you have copies of those somewhere NOT on your hard drive.

As a forty year IT professional, now retired from IBM, my best advice is to save your personal files on a large flash drive (memory stick), get a Mac and use your current PC as a door stop or convenient range target.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would get a Mac. Problem solved. :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thanks, guys.

Well, I went the route of Reformating, and it worked. I saved some of my pics and files onto a flash drive. The computer works faster now. Someone else also told me I ought to go with a Mac and get off the Windows altogether, that it would be the best way to go.

Question: What is the main reason Microsoft software running on PCs have these problems and issues and Macs don't?

Also: What are your opinions on Linux Unix systems vs Windows?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Windows is a kluged, patched together assemblage of programs built on a 40 year old operating system that wasn't very good to start with. It has no inherent security and the rambling structure — grown bloated and complex — has many vulnerabilities to malware (malicious programs). The Mac OS was based on Unix with none of the problems inherent in Windows. It is well integrated, made to work with other software and hardware without arduous human help and intervention.

In fact, most people these days would be better off with an iPad, a Bluetooth keyboard and a wireless printer.

It's kinda like chipping your own knife blade out of flint or obsidian, making a handle and affixing them together or just buying a Delica.

Composed on and sent from my trusty iPad.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Switch to the Mac and don't look back!
Mac has, as best I can describe it, direct interface. PC's need a terrible disc operating system (DOS) to run the computer, then you need Windows to operate the DOS to operate the computer. Or something like that. The whole thing is unstable and you have to have special programs that run along with Windows to make Windows secure. Then you need to have anti-spyware, anti-malware, and anti-virus programs on top of that. I finally got rid of my PC not long ago and am happily learning Mac. I did not switch sooner because a key program I needed has only just become available for Mac.

As to your issue, it may not be a virus, but if you are using Norton or Macafee, viruses target those and bypass or shut them down. Install AVG (free is good) and run that. Also, it could be Spyware that gets on your computer, so install Spybot (free) and run that. Also, it could be malware so install Malwarebites (also free) and run it. If it is not a problem with your computer one of these will find and fix it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

As an alternative to the Mac, you could always try Linux...either Ubuntu or Mint should be able to handle your surfing/work type needs. If you are a big gamer there can be issues but they can be mitigated rather easily.

The beauty is that you can load it alongside Windows on your machine to compare their functionality. Don't believe the "you have to be a hacker or a programmer" to run Linus BS....I am neither, and I run 3 businesses, surf the web, and do some gaming on mine with zero issues. And the lack of virus issues goes for Linux also, and after completely switching over I noticed a significant performance increase in both my PC and laptop.

Worth a look at least.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MichaelScott wrote:Windows is a kluged, patched together assemblage of programs built on a 40 year old operating system that wasn't very good to start with. It has no inherent security and the rambling structure — grown bloated and complex — has many vulnerabilities to malware (malicious programs). The Mac OS was based on Unix with none of the problems inherent in Windows. It is well integrated, made to work with other software and hardware without arduous human help and intervention.

In fact, most people these days would be better off with an iPad, a Bluetooth keyboard and a wireless printer.

It's kinda like chipping your own knife blade out of flint or obsidian, making a handle and affixing them together or just buying a Delica.

Composed on and sent from my trusty iPad.

Never had much of an issue with Windows overall personally, but then I have always built my own so that could have a lot to do with it.

90% of the problems with Windows is between the chair and the keyboard and that has always been true and I suspect that it still is and always will be. You know the I.D.I.O.T. issues, was in the IT industry also for awhile and saw a lot of really stupid things.

The only version I never ran was Windows 8 and don't plan on it either, happy with Windows 7, that said Windows 2000 was the best version IMO followed by NT4.

These days I agree most would be better off with an iPAD just for email, FB etc, MACS are for the most part idiot proof. ;)

MACS are far from perfect, worked on a a bunch of them too over the years, and the Linux machines, all of them have their issues, they are just more idiot proof than Windows.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The biggest mistake IBM ever made IMO, well the 2nd biggest mistake anyway was not really getting behind OS2 Warp, they didn't really commit like they should have.

It was in fact the best OS available at the time IMO, much better than Windows and MAC OS's and they dropped the ball big time. :rolleyes:

Just one of the many major mistakes that IBM made over the years and there was a lot of them, and major ones, mostly due to their own arrogance and lack of vision. I saw a lot of that 1st hand when I worked for them for a short time.

Likely one of the biggest brain farts in the history of the computer industry. :rolleyes: