Benchmade

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Benchmade

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I'll bite: I like the old Monarch Lightweights and the Mel Pardue 530 and the Pika and others. Benchmade is very well-made.
I like Spyderco and Benchmade.

Two knife-design masterpieces.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a number of Benchmade knives and I like every one that I have. I prefer the Spydercos because, except for one BM model, they fit my mitt better. BM makes a good knife and the one time I had an issue I called them and told them what the problem was, sent the knife in, and had it back in 10 days or less total time from the call to the return.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I don't have any Benchmade knives but I'd really like to get one of their balisongs since Spyderco are no longer making the Smallfly and Spyderfly.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Benchmade used to be the undisputed leader in the industry of making the best liner-lock folders.... Then one day, they went Axis-lock crazy and willingly abandoned their excellent liner-lock models. That's about the time I stopped buying their knives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Monocrom wrote:Benchmade used to be the undisputed leader in the industry of making the best liner-lock folders.... Then one day, they went Axis-lock crazy and willingly abandoned their excellent liner-lock models. That's about the time I stopped buying their knives.
that's a very interesting observation "Monocrom">> My BM model 640 Boguszewski Spike is a liner lock and I must say that since 1998 I've never had any problem with it. And I'm not a big fan of liner locks per se but the one of the Boguszewski models is well engineered. Again I'm not much of a fan of autos ( Switchblades) even though I've owned a few of them>> I've yet to have checked out any of Spyderco's but I will at some point just out of curiosity. But the few BM autos I've had are high quality autos to be sure.

One thing I've always disliked about BM is that they have so many models that are almost exactly alike in turn their line up tends to get boring to me. It seems like all the Warren Osborne designs they market all tend to resemble each other :rolleyes:

All in all BM is a solid competitor but there are other competitor's of Spyderco's I have more respect for like Al Mar, William Henry and Boker from design standpoint. Interesting thread
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

They are extremely good blades and the new Blue Osborne Emmisary is the best looking knife out there right now. However they ruined it by not adding a flipper . I wouldn't have an assisted opener without a flipper and if not for that I would have bought one already.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I have two.

Ritter Mini Grip, Orange, S30V: I like the Ritter blade much more than the standard Griptilian blade. Neat little knife, love the size, but not in love with the lock. It's the stickiest lock ever. Now I know, it's a production piece so they aren't all like this, and maybe one day it'll wear in if I can bring myself to use it more, but now I'm scared of Axis locks, especially when my CBBL and bolt locks have never even pretended to stick.

Mini Auto Stryker: Got this one years ago, when the little store that got me addicted to knives was closing up shop. That guy was the coolest, selling a 16 year old an automatic knife. Unfortunately, I've barely used this knife since it is illegal to carry here in Commienecticut, but I really like it and hope to use it more some day.

They make a good product, though they're no Spyderco for a number of reasons. I kinda want to try a 710, 810, and a 940, but they are very low priorities on my wish list. Especially if Spyderco keeps launching new knives. Seriously. Stop that.
danospydermano

Post by danospydermano »

I currently have a Mini-Grip 555 that has the "Butter-Hole" & no thumb studs. I like it a lot and recently handled one with the studs (BM556) and it seemed pretty cool. I like a few of the Colors on some their scale too, the ODG looks Pretty Awesome and it would be my next one if I ever decide to get another.
If carrying 2-is-1 and One-is-None...What is Five?