Mayweather vs. Pacquiao...who you like???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Surfingringo

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao...who you like???

Post by Surfingringo »

My hearts with Manny but if I was betting I would probably take loudmouth Floyd.
3rdGenRigger

Re: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao...who you like???

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

My thoughts exactly. Mayweather is just so proficient from a technical standpoint that I think it will carry him through...I do prefer Pacquiao though.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

No idea, I really can't stand boxing. However I did find this article very interesting on Mayweather's career.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Done. Turned out about how I expected.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Yeah...nothing super dramatic from Mayweather's part...just lots of jabs and being very technical. He seldom goes for really large combination punch strings, which gives him the advantage of not really exposing himself to counters. Very technical style of boxing and it's clearly hard to beat.

---> Branden
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

That said though, it's like watching someone who's very technically proficient at an instrument, but is all too clinical. No "Soul" or "Heart" behind it, if that makes any sense.

---> Branden
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

At one time I thought the best boxer pound for pound was Roy Jones Jr. >> but it's probably Mayweather for all that's said and done.

I used to be a very avid boxing fan but since Lennox Lewis retired the Heavyweight division is pretty much turned to garbage. With all ear biting aside :eek: I miss the days of Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield :cool: and from the WeightWatcher's division my old buddy George Foreman :D

One weird thing about this fight I heard ESPN radio say that they had a lot of difficulty with the Pay Per View transmission :confused: Oh my?? Things have changed and not for the better either.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I am a bit disappointed with the outcome of the fight after all the hype. Mayweather was great on defence as always, but Pacquiao seemed to me like the dominant fighter who took the most initiative and landed the most combos and individual shots IMHO. Based on this I did not expect to see Mayweather given an unanimous victory. I feel Pacquiao did enough for a win, or a draw at least. Oh well, I'm not the expert at boxing.

Pacquiao did seem to enjoy the whole event from start to finish. No nerves, all smiles and enthusiasm, like a kid on Christmas morning. It was nice to see.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Unify weight classes! Mayweather vs. Klitschko
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Textbook Mayweather. Jabs and hugs and never going on the offensive. Pacman pressed Mayweather the whole fight but just not hard enough to force him to go punch for punch. If Manny came at him with his usual vigor he may have stood a better chance. You can't out box Mayweather but you can certainly out brawl him. Manny feared the four inch reach advantage and it showed. As a hard core Manny fan I am holding my head low today. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have but one reaction:

If that was the fight of the century then boxing is in a lot of trouble. I'm about done with "boxing". Bring on Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:I have but one reaction:

If that was the fight of the century then boxing is in a lot of trouble. I'm about done with "boxing". Bring on Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor.
I still think that the fight of the century during most of our lifetimes was all the way back when I was still in high school>> The first Joe FRazier vs Muhammad Ali at Madison Square Garden, New York City in the spring of 1971. It was a 15 round fight which is something you don't ever hear of anymore.

As I said earlier since Lennox Lewis retired the heavyweight division truly went down the toilet :( But Roy Jones Jr. and Oscar De Le Hoya both has some stellar fights as well. And let's not forget Cuba's superstar heavyweight of the 70s/80s Teofilo Stevenson>> probably the best amatuer that never turned pro.

Also the boxing game just isn't the same since my good buddy DON KING disappeared from the landscape :eek: :D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Surfingringo wrote:I have but one reaction:

I agree with you, and at least one other person does as well.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Neither. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I had a feeling Mayweather would win, by decision. I also felt that the fight could fail to live up to the hype, and I guess I was right.

I will say that when both fighters are contractually guaranteed obscene amounts of money, the hunger and determination to put on the absolutely best fight go down the toilet. This wasn't the fight of the century, but I don't think either Mayweather or Pacquiao are too upset about it. Mayweather got 100 million and will end up with a lot more; Pacquiao wasn't too far behind. Between the two, I would have rooted for Pacquiao. He would have done much better had the fight happened five or more years ago, when it should have. But in the end, his monster payday should take the pain away from his shoulder.

TBH, I lost interest in boxing a long time ago. If the rejuvenation of the sport's popularity relies on just these two guys, forget it. They're a long way from boxing's golden era.

Jim
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Ronda Rousey. I'm a judo guy :D