Benchmade

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Benchmade

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I'm aware of shiny footprints and such, and am not trying to create a spot for people to bash on the company. What I am trying to do is figure out if the company's blades are as good as people claim they are. I personally can't get into their designs myself, but if they're quality, I always have room for more top notch knives. I have had no experience with their stuff, at all, literally. I realize that I am asking opinions, not facts, but I trust this forum more than any other.
JD Spydo

Re: Benchmade

Post by JD Spydo »

The few Benchmade knives I've liked I really like them a lot. There are three models in particular that I dearly adore. One model that I even EDC at times is the Boguszewski Spike 640 model and I have it's big brother model 650.

The mini Spike is what a lot of people call the model 640. I've had my model 640 for about 17 years now and it's construction and functional aspects are incredible. Now I like Spyderco much more overall but again the very few models of theirs that I like and tend to like them a lot. The Rukus model 610 is another one of their great blades I dearly adore.

Benchmade is a fine quality product but I do believe for my uses Spyderco has a much more comprehensive selection and Spyderco has a lot of specialty blades I like as well like their Hawkbills for instance.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I own a McHenry & Williams 705...smooth little knife...I bought it out of the Classified section of a knife magazine in my pre-internet years...

Not many of their offerings have 50/50 choils...

Not a big fan of thumbstuds..........So, I'll leave it at that
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Benchmade makes a quality product. They make a variety of knives, just like Spyderco does, and any given enthusiast won't like all of them.

Spyderco forum or not, I think Spyderco quality is equal to Benchmade or better, and for some reason I find more Spyderco models that I like than I do Benchmade models. My weekday carry rotation has at least 8 Spyderco knives and 3 from Benchmade, if that tells you anything.

I'm not too keen on Benchmade's new pricing policy.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I have a little bit of experience with BM and have not found them to my liking. I know several people who have really liked BM knives, and even got one for my brother. I just have not been able to enjoy the ergos.

But then again I am just a Spydie junky, I can hardly function without a spydiehole.

I can't decide what one to get next! This one is the 'started a new job/career' celebratory knife.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I don't have one, but I've sharpened 4 different models for co-workers to date. No Grip or Mini-Grips, but more upscale BM's that come with G10 scales. The Axis Lock is very easy to manipulate and if you're used to it I'm sure you'd find the Spyderco BBL and CBBL locks to be overly difficult to overcome...the Bolt Action lock on the Sage 3 is a closer analog, but even that has more lock force to overcome. I can understand why people love it, but I personally think that the Axis lock is too easy to disengage and I'd be less sure about accidental disengagement while cutting in certain circumstances, like cutting curving or twisting cuts when wearing gloves for example. I wouldn't be worried...but I trust the CBBL a lot more to stay engaged, and I care more about deployment and use than disengagement of the lock anyways for obvious reasons (If you're disengaging you're obviously done and won't be time constrained). They make nice knives, but I'm too spoiled by the Spydie-Hole to consider jumping ship to anything else...that and I do like the degree of choices regarding blade steels, lock types, handle materials, and ergonomic options offered in Spydercos lineup.
Last edited by 3rdGenRigger on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Double tap.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I only have a couple of Benchmades, but have had no quality issues with either one. One I've had since around the late 80's/early 90's, in ATS-34 steel I think. It gave me one of the worst cuts I have received from a knife yet - still have the scar on my thumb :). The other one I have is the 940-1 in CF/S90V, due at least partially to Ankerson's mentioning it here, and it is a really nice, light cutter.

I definitely find Spyder-holes easier to use than thumb-studs though.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have forty or so Benchmade knives. They make very good products for the most part. I no longer carry or recommend them for the same reason that Sal started the Shiny Footprints thread. I'll just say they haven't gotten a penny of my money or a minute of my pocket time since they announced the Vex.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I have a few. My favorite BM is the Barrage that I was given when I obtained Eagle Scout. It is #121 of the 200 blue handled Barrages created for W&W.

I also like the 301 Ball flipper enough to keep it in the collection, but it doesn't see any pocket time. Not a big fan of the company, but they make nice enough quality knives.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Have a 940 in my sights as the next "Must get" knife.. Kinda slowed down on Spyderco "Must get" knives for now!! John :cool:
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I have a few. Quality seems good but for whatever reason I never carried them much.

Of course, these days I'm either Balance or Memory + Balance so the same can be said of all my other knives, Spydies included. But back then I was trading off frequently and the BMs just never made it into my pocket.

Ken

(edit - Yab and I have exactly the same post count? That's far out!)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Benchmade was the first higher-end knife brand I considered collecting/using prior to discovering Spyderco. I own a few and find them to be pretty decent in terms of quality and fit-and-finish. In short, they do make a decent knife. Sure, I'm pretty biased towards Spyderco, but I can at least objectively admit that BM makes a good knife. I agree with some that the ergos on most BM's have generally felt a little "off" to me, but YMMV. To me, BM's are pretty decent, but they lack in a few key areas when compared to Spyderco knives: they do not have nearly the variety of steel choices, the ergos feel a little "wonky," and they lack a Round Hole. (I can't stand a folder with a thumb stud. *shudders*).

Edited to add: Like Ken, I never carry my BM's for some reason. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I carried my Emerson, Sebenza, SOG, Kershaw,... :rolleyes: Guess I'll just stick with Spyderco. :)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like the looks of the Osborne Emissary and was about to buy one a until I discovered it was an assisted opener. I like assisted openers but they should never be made without a flipper. This could be a wonderful knife with the addition of a flipper but as it is I wouldn't have one.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I had an all black 940 Osborne axis but sold it. It was a cool shaped blade, very thin in the pocket, but the edge geometry was annoyingly thick.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Benchmade makes good knives, people just have to find the one that suits them the best as with any maker.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I own a HK140205 which is great knife I can't fault it other than the G10 could be a little grippier. F&F Is exceptional, I like the Axis lock and although it doesn't look that robust it seems to be. One of these days I would like to pick up a 940-1 I keep watching for one on the secondary market but they don't come up too often.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

IMO they're pretty good but less worth it than they used to be after they started forcing MAP pricing and basically kicked all of their prices up 33%. Some models are definitely less competitive price-wise now. I haven't bought a new one from a dealer since they kicked the prices up and with what's in their lineup now don't really see that changing.

Still, as a lefty the axis lock is pretty wonderful. I especially like the 581, 586, and old 730 "Ares" myself.

Edit - for some reason dealers can still set their own prices on limited editions. Check out the 710-1401, 810-1401, and 950-1401. Some decent deals there for the upgraded steel you get.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Have had a Benchmade AFCK for probably 20+ years. Devine,, AND it has a Spydie hole, Plus Plus.
Very ergonomic (for me anyway).

Also have a original Nimvarus, which due to very low profile sheath, is my favourite concealed carry, fixed knife.
It also served me well butchering out a large Rusa stag.
Not the ideal knife I know, but the best knife is the one you have on you when needed and it did a great job.
Wouldn't sell or swap either for any other.

I do have a larger number of Spyderco's in my collection however.
Any from the Schemp stable get my vote.
Just love the Tuff and can't understand why it was dropped from the line..
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

I'm a huge Benchmade fan, and I have been for several years. Everything I've ever had from them is extremely high quality. Their warranty is totally on point too if needed (I've broken a lot of blades dropping them and bouncing off of steel down 3 decks on a submarine will do that...all replaced for free). I have been issued/bought more Benchmades than I can remember and all have been top notch, from the Ascent (first Benchmade I've owned) to the S90V/Carbon fiber 940-1 I just bought. In my experience, the H2O series with N680 steel is great in saltwater too. They are worth every penny.

For me, Benchmade and Spyderco are like 1A and 1B, for different reasons.