Acid Wash Durability and Spyderco Warranty

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Brain Virus

Acid Wash Durability and Spyderco Warranty

Post by Brain Virus »

I ordered my first Spyderco last night, the Paramilitary 2 with satin blade and black handle, and I am wanting to acidwash (not stonewash) my blade. I am curious about 2 things.

1. How well does just plain acid wash hold up?
2. Does doing that void my warranty with Spyderco?

Thanks!
jackknifeh

Re: Acid Wash Durability and Spyderco Warranty

Post by jackknifeh »

Brain Virus wrote:I ordered my first Spyderco last night, the Paramilitary 2 with satin blade and black handle, and I am wanting to acidwash (not stonewash) my blade. I am curious about 2 things.

1. How well does just plain acid wash hold up?
2. Does doing that void my warranty with Spyderco?

Thanks!
I've only had one acid washed knife and it had an M4 blade steel and not a Spyderco. I used sharpening stones to remove the acid wash and it took a pretty good bit of work to get all the acid wash off. So I think it would hold up to normal use very well. I don't know if it would void the warranty if you just did the process. But normally I think people disassemble the knife to acid wash the blade. Disassembling a Spyderco WILL void the warranty, acid wash or not. I'd contact Spyderco about acid washing the blade while still assembled. But I don't know if you should dip the pivot in the acid. It may effect the smoothness. :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you do it please post pictures.

Jack