Wiha Torx Screwdrivers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Re: Wiha Torx Screwdrivers

Post by jackknifeh »

Here's something really strange. I tracked the package with my Wiha set in it and it said it had been delivered today. Yup, today is Sunday. I thought they had made a mistake at the post office on the computer but I checked the mail box and there it was. I really don't know about this but I'm not complaining. So here's a picture of the set.

Wow, that's a blurry picture. It's almost like I can't hold a camera still but we know that's not it. :rolleyes: :) Can't wait to use it. I didn't loosen anything but I tried the T5 in my Manbug and the bit fits great. Then I went to use my fluted ti Native 5 to see how a T6 and T9 fit and found something a bit different. The pivot screw is a T10. The body screws are T8 and the clip screws are T6. Never seen a T8 in a Spyderco knife. Maybe there are a few but I wouldn't know it if I didn't disassemble the knife. If I weren't just seeing how snug these Wiha bits are I doubt I'd have noticed the screw size on the Native. Anyway, it's a nice set with about any small bit I'll ever need.

Jack
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I saw these in a WIP knifemaker post and thought I'd try a couple out: TORX Wing Handle Drivers. One of the two I got is still on sale. Shipping for 2 came out to $5.99 ups ground, so there's that too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

z4vdBt wrote:I saw these in a WIP knifemaker post and thought I'd try a couple out: TORX Wing Handle Drivers. One of the two I got is still on sale. Shipping for 2 came out to $5.99 ups ground, so there's that too.
Just be aware that a wing handle and, for that matter, any large handle allows you to put a lot of torque on a screw. That's not a generally a problem on things like firearms and RC vechicles where "aircraft grade" hardened fasteners are used, but on knives it can increase the risk of stripping heads or threads unless you're aware and cautious not to take advantage of the extra leverage such handles provide.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ccf

Post by ccf »

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75985-Handl ... 5KQQC0NRQD

This set has T3, T4, T5, T6, T7, & T8 for under $15.

If not, this set would be awesome, IMO. I prefer the screwdriver style instead of the L wrenches so it would be perfect for me, just don't know if I'd ever need a T10. Is it common?

BTW, the older 79588 model had the extra T10 bit, but it must be discontinued because I can't find it. The new 75985 model leaves out the T10. Kinda strange.
ccf

Post by ccf »

Are we able to edit posts? I don't see a link.
ccf

Post by ccf »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E ... UTF8&psc=1

For about $10, this is a really good torx set. Bondhus is a quality tool & while you can't apply the same torque with these as you can with a screwdriver or L wrench, that's actually a good thing. You can still tighten screws 100% & you lesson your chances of stripping it out with this setup.

I have this same set & it's always served me well.