What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Enkidude

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by Enkidude »

I finished Lonesome Dove in February and it was so good I decided to read the whole tetralogy. I finished Dead Man's Walk and have just started Comanche Moon.

I'm slowly working my way through the Tao of Jeet Kun Do by Bruce Lee and Zen Buddhism by D.T. Suzuki. I hope to finish those up, finish the McMurtry teralogy, and start reading some classics. I think I will start with some Albert Camus and Kurt Vonnegut. I've heard good things about those two....
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I mentioned earlier that I was reading The Sot Weed Factor. I'm only about a quarter of the way through, but whilst reading it yesterday the main character when harassed by thugs about his identity declares that he was playing a cruel April Fools joke. Definitely one of those times where you look around you to see if someone else has somehow engineered this coincidence. A character in a book, set in 1700, and written in 1960, somehow managed to declare to me that it was an April Fools joke on April Fools day. Freaky.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Just finished up Zen Buddhism by D.T. Suzuki and "The Stranger" by Albert Camus. I'll start "The Old Man and the Sea" by Hemingway tonight or tomorrow.

Where is HorseLoverFat?????
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Fatly loving some horses?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

tvenuto wrote:Fatly loving some horses?
Negative, knucklehead. I'm neither excessively fond of equines nor overweight. If you weren't such a philistine, perhaps you would have caught the reference to the character in a novel by Phillip K. Dick. ;)

I'm reading A Manual for Creating Atheists by Peter Boghossian. I don't care for the title of the book, but it is a good contribution to the field of critical thinking.

http://peterboghossian.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

HorserloverFat wrote:excessively fond of equines
I wasn't aware such a thing were possible! I happen to have a tattoo of myself (as a horse) riding a horse over a rainbow. Also the horse has a rainbow tail.
HorserloverFat wrote:If you weren't such a philistine, perhaps you would have caught the reference to the character in a novel by Phillip K. Dick. ;)
My biceps are always interfering with me catching cultural/literary references! How did you know?!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

^

Nice shot ! :cool:
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

tvenuto wrote:
I wasn't aware such a thing were possible! I happen to have a tattoo of myself (as a horse) riding a horse over a rainbow. Also the horse has a rainbow tail.
HorserloverFat wrote:If you weren't such a philistine, perhaps you would have caught the reference to the character in a novel by Phillip K. Dick. ;)
My biceps are always interfering with me catching cultural/literary references! How did you know?!
No hard feelings , sir.

Physical fitness is important as well. Your health is your wealth. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnasium_(ancient_Greece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

"Quantum Lens". Another book in a series by Douglas E. Richards. Heralded as the "Michael Crichton" of the near-future Sci fi genre.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

HorserloverFat wrote:
tvenuto wrote:
No hard feelings , sir.

Physical fitness is important as well. Your health is your wealth. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnasium_(ancient_Greece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
I realize you guys are just joshing with each other, but thought someone might find this interesting. HorseLoverFat is the rough Latin translation of Philip Dick(Richard maybe? I can't recall) Philip- Lover of horses, Dick- fat.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

This book raises good questions for Christians and Atheists alike : http://www.prometheusbooks.com/index.ph ... ts_id=2108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Just banged out The Adventures Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Huckleberry is the better book in my opinion.

Started "A Farewell to Arms" by Hemingway yesterday.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Enkidude wrote: Huckleberry is the better book in my opinion.

Agreed.

My wife has F2A, I keep meaning to read some Hemingway but never get to it.

I'm almost finished with The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth, and it's pretty awesome. Long though (I'm on page 580 with a good 150+ to go)!
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

tvenuto wrote:
Enkidude wrote: Huckleberry is the better book in my opinion.

Agreed.

My wife has F2A, I keep meaning to read some Hemingway but never get to it.

I'm almost finished with The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth, and it's pretty awesome. Long though (I'm on page 580 with a good 150+ to go)!
I have read a collection of Hemingway's first 49 stories. I did not like most of them. Then I read "The Old Man and the Sea" and really enjoyed that book. F2A will be the book that will decide if I read more Hemingway or put him on the back burner. I'm 4 chapters in and he's creeping to the back of the stove... :D

I will have to check out some Barth. He has much praise on Goodreads.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Farewell to Arms is not one of Hemingway's best, in my opinion. Now, I will admit to having read The Sun Also Rises five times over the years. I also like The Green Hills of Africa, which is a series of stories about Hemingway's hunting experiences there. Excellent, both of them.

I'm into McCullogh's Harry Truman biography and have his The Wright Brothers on pre-order from Amazon. Due out on May 5.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

MichaelScott wrote:I'm into McCullogh's Harry Truman biography and have his The Wright Brothers on pre-order from Amazon. Due out on May 5.
I haven't read his Truman book yet, but really enjoyed his John Adams biography. I'm also excited for The Wright Brothers. Just a couple more weeks...
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have, at last, finished The Sot-Weed Factor (modern day translation: The Tobacco Agent). It's formidable length and unfamiliar prose notwithstanding, it's an absolutely phenomenal book. By this I mean it's 737 pages of largely old English dialog, which takes some getting used to. However, like Clockwork Orange, once you're into it, it has a way of modifying your thoughts to include certain phrases, and you have to remember that no one will know what the heck you're talking about if you actually say them.

But I say again that it's awesome. Like really awesome: I'd rank it in my top 10 for sure, and top 5 perhaps, but I'd have to really sit down and consider that. It's funny without being forced, meaningful without being hokey, harsh without being cruel, tightly woven without being contrived, and conceited as ****, but with every ounce earned.

Written by John Barth, the only issue is I actually had a bit of trouble finding a reasonably priced copy. I ended up going used on Amazon, but it's not the most commonly available book.

Anyway, I know most wont read it, but I'm sure glad I did.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Recently finished
1. "No Country For Old Men" by Cormac McCarthy- (which I enjoyed on the whole, but his misanthropic inability to use speechmarks nearly made me scream in frustration half a dozen times....Yes, I'm a punctuation/grammar nazi. Sorry. Not nearly as bad as the sections of "Feersum Enjinn" by Iain M. Banks that are written in phonetic. Argh.)
2. "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman- (A real treat and super from end to end- a modern day fairy tale for the want of a better word. A look at how the Old Gods spend their time when they are overtaken by the New.)

Currently reading:
"The Belly Of Paris"- Emile Zola....Supposedly the original 'foodie' novel and I'm enjoying it. I can see where a certain Mr Bourdain has lifted a lot his style from (and he freely admits this, so it's all good) :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

MichaelScott wrote:Farewell to Arms is not one of Hemingway's best, in my opinion. Now, I will admit to having read The Sun Also Rises five times over the years. I also like The Green Hills of Africa, which is a series of stories about Hemingway's hunting experiences there. Excellent, both of them.
I'd give For Whom The Bell Tolls a punt too, as it's a window into the oft-neglected Spanish Civil War (and prelude to WW2)