Sea Kayaking with White Sharks

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Sea Kayaking with White Sharks

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

http://www.thomaspeschak.com/kayak-great-white-sharks-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I get chills looking at those photos!

What would happen if one surfaced near the guy and he stabbed it in the snout with a Spyder-edged knife, if it was getting too aggressive?

If you had a fish could you throw the fish a ways away and distract the shark?
tvenuto

Re: Sea Kayaking with White Sharks

Post by tvenuto »

If you stab something in the snout for being near you, it is you that is getting too aggressive.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

tvenuto wrote:If you stab something in the snout for being near you, it is you that is getting too aggressive.
Rofl :D :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you are close enough to a Great White Shark to stab it in the snout you are in deeeeepppp kimchi.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

tvenuto wrote:If you stab something in the snout for being near you, it is you that is getting too aggressive.
Good thing I wasn't drinking when I read that. I would have made a mess.

Spyderedgeforever,

Why would you want to stab a shark in the nose just for being near you?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
SpyderEdgeForever

If it was just swimming nearby I would not. I mean if I were in a kayak or small boat and it were to try to attack me and eat me. Ie, in self defense.
I had a friend who was a seasoned military veteran and he told me one day he was in a 20 foot long fishing boat and a 25 foot long shark swam up beside them..he got back to shore as fast as possible and he told me he will never set foot in the sea ever again. His view: That is the shark's home, and the ground is his.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The shark isn't going to come cruise around within stabbing distance before he attacks. If he attacks a kayak or surfboard (or basically anything floating on the surface, you can rest assured it will be a big unpleasant surprise. ;)
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, as I have been paddling Sea Kayaks (before they were called "sea kayaks") for 50 odd years in N.Z. and Overseas, I have met a few, and no doubt a few have seen me.
I consider myself lucky to have interacted with them as they are VERY hard to actually see in their "normal" environment, which here, is water with low visibility. When they are seen, it usually is just luck OR they are coming in close to eat.
This is sometimes the bait on your line when targeting much smaller fish.
Obviously..

If there are any Sea Kayakers who wish to scare themselves, google "nzheraldgreatwhiteshark kayak."

The Kayak Mike Hogan was paddling was one that I had sold Him through my Store. We joked at the time about "yum yum yellow"
That came back to haunt me..
His paddling Buddy Hugh, is well known for being very calm under high stress and a Master of the Understatement..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/news/article. ... tid=167661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope the link works.
Cheers, Wayne
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:The shark isn't going to come cruise around within stabbing distance before he attacks. If he attacks a kayak or surfboard (or basically anything floating on the surface, you can rest assured it will be a big unpleasant surprise. ;)
Yes, and I'm sure that would be an epically bad day. :eek:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:The shark isn't going to come cruise around within stabbing distance before he attacks. If he attacks a kayak or surfboard (or basically anything floating on the surface, you can rest assured it will be a big unpleasant surprise. ;)
It would, but he11, i'd take it over cancer, enphysema, diabetes or most of the other ways out. :cool:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
It would, but he11, i'd take it over cancer, enphysema, diabetes or most of the other ways out. :cool:
True that, man. True that...
SpyderEdgeForever

This is unrelated to sharks but is interesting: I was wondering of a person could sea kayak around the world, or at least across an actual ocean. It turns out someone has:

http://gadling.com/2011/03/20/sea-kayak ... -atlantic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It took him nearly 100 days but he did it. Amazing.

Here is a funny line:

" His expedition manager was his son, Chez, who stayed positive throughout that his old man would make it across. “He promised his wife he’s coming back. He’s not a man to break a promise, otherwise she will kill him.”

I guess in theory one could do it world wide: You would pre plan ahead of time to make sure you have your route all lined up, and have alternative routes if necessary. You would cross the ocean, then take whatever lake or rivers allow you to cross overland, and then slowly but surely make it back to where you started.

Here's a sad one:

" In 2007 Australian “Adventurer of the Year” Andrew McAuley attempted the relatively short (1,000) crossing of the very wild Tasman Sea, from Tasmania to New Zealand. In 29 days he got to within one day – 30 miles – of Milford Sound, New Zealand where his wife and young son waited on the beach for him. He disappeared on that last day; his boat would be found, but never any sign of Andrew."

If one were to do it, they would and ought to have a full compliment of Spyderco knives with them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:If you are close enough to a Great White Shark to stab it in the snout you are in deeeeepppp kimchi.
Doc Dan I couldn't agree with you more. The Great White Shark is one animal you had better had the utmost respect for. In response to stabbing it in the snout with a Spyder ( or any other quality knife for that matter)>> hey if a Great White Shark got that close to me I can only assume that it's wondering how tasty of a meal he thinks I might be :eek: I would do anything it took to deter any shark from sizing me up for a possible dinner menu item :eek:

It's best to just stay completely out of their domain to begin with unless you have a solid reason for being in their territory>> they are just like a Black Mamba, African Lion, Salt Water Crocidile or a Cape Buffalo>> Those types of critters can terminate your life so fast you wouldn't even know what hit you :( Our late Brother Steve Irwin was the best I know of dealing with dangerous animals and he ended up dying very young unfortunately :(