The 1960s: Televisions Very Best Shows EVER

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

Re: The 1960s: Televisions Very Best Shows EVER

Post by The Mastiff »

What is funny to me is how these skinny Women wearing high heels that are supposed to be LEO's running down the bad guys and over powering them.
All kinds of shows have totally unrealistic fights, shooting scenes and results. The moves that lay people out would merely annoy a real salty thug type, or break the bones of the person throwing the strike. 130 lb folks going up against 280 lb, 6ft5 inch guys who also can fight. Without ( and sometimes even with ) weapons the 130 lb person when gotten ahold of is done. Petite Women trying to beat up large men in reality have about as much chance as I would have against a 500 lb silverback gorilla. Bone structure and density, joint mechanics and muscle mass a great deal and can really go a large way towards defeating smaller people with slightly better technique.

This is coming from someone that despite being well trained, able to lift well over twice my weight and in great shape was pinned to the ceiling by a guy 70 lbs heavier and 4 inches taller than me. :)

I know how useful joint locks, choke and strangle holds can be but good luck trying to apply one to a 6'3" , 330lb Samoan Defensive tackle who has wrists too big to put handcuffs on. We had to use leg cuffs on his wrists but he easily could have broken them. To this day I am grateful that he was such a nice guy. I wouldn't want to shot the guy without having some distance, and a hard hitting rifle with deep penetrating bullets. I've seen 160 lb guys take 5 or 6 guys to handle ( without killing him naturally. )

I'm a "Banshee" fan ( Cinemax series) but 120lb models just don't beat up groups of thugs in reality.

I have met and worked with some tough, tough, mean women but women as well as men have limitations and should pay attention to them. There again reality isn't why I watch TV. I have reality in my life. I like entertainment.

In that show one of the most lethal guys is a tranny. :)

Scene from Banshee where Lola fights Burton:https://youtu.be/_3Tq-OaSsUQ
Note: very violent!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Joe,

I am also a huge Banshee fan. :D

But yeah I know what you mean, I have been had also by a much bigger guy than me.

I was picked up and literally thrown across a bar once, I weighed like 145 at the time, all I could do is just lay there. LOL
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I was picked up and literally thrown across a bar once, I weighed like 145 at the time, all I could do is just lay there. LOL
I wasn't thrown thankfully. The guy was nice and just wanting to prove a point. :) He held me up against the ceiling and kept me there. I was expecting him to Tombstone me head first so I just stopped struggling when I knew he could let me down, or put me down permanently. Normally I would be biting, gouging eyes and stuff. It was a learning experience. After that I was as concerned with being picked up as I was about the floor stomp and kick routine. I got my shirts tailored tighter and harder to grip and worked on rip, punch, and slap away moves to help control the close in stuff. Kind of like what good defensive lineman do when the big Offensive lineman try to hold and control them and steer them. The idea is to not allow anyone to control any part of you while you control them as much as possible. Especially larger, stronger guys of which there were lots in the prison system. :) There's some monsters in there.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
I wasn't thrown thankfully. The guy was nice and just wanting to prove a point. :) He held me up against the ceiling and kept me there. I was expecting him to Tombstone me head first so I just stopped struggling when I knew he could let me down, or put me down permanently. Normally I would be biting, gouging eyes and stuff. It was a learning experience. After that I was as concerned with being picked up as I was about the floor stomp and kick routine. I got my shirts tailored tighter and harder to grip and worked on rip, punch, and slap away moves to help control the close in stuff. Kind of like what good defensive lineman do when the big Offensive lineman try to hold and control them and steer them. The idea is to not allow anyone to control any part of you. Especially larger, stronger guys of which there were lots in the prison system. :) There's some monsters in there.

I remember you were telling me. :D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Mastiff wrote:I got my shirts tailored tighter and harder to grip and worked on rip, punch, and slap away moves to help control the close in stuff. Kind of like what good defensive lineman do when the big Offensive lineman try to hold and control them and steer them. The idea is to not allow anyone to control any part of you while you control them as much as possible. Especially larger, stronger guys of which there were lots in the prison system. :) There's some monsters in there.
A good strategy. Most of our extensor muscles are much stronger than our flexor muscles as long as they maintain mechanical advantage. If you keep your elbow outside 90 degrees and put your forearm into someones chest/neck, they will be unable to pull you into them even if they have a very large strength advantage. Although we think of the bicep when we think of a guy with big arms, your tricep is actually the larger muscle and responsible for most of the circumference of your arm.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I was never a fan of many of the reruns they used to play around here. Usually, if there were westerns coming on, that meant cartoons had gone off. Going back and trying to watch some of those older shows now, it's hard to sit through even a half hour episode.

Except for the Twilight Zone. I'll always enjoy that show, and it's managed to hold up after all these years.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

StuntZombie wrote:I was never a fan of many of the reruns they used to play around here. Usually, if there were westerns coming on, that meant cartoons had gone off. Going back and trying to watch some of those older shows now, it's hard to sit through even a half hour episode.

Except for the Twilight Zone. I'll always enjoy that show, and it's managed to hold up after all these years.
There was something so "timeless" about Rod Serling's "TWILIGHT ZONE" :cool: There were attempts from other TV networks to compete with it as with the "OUTER LIMITS and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" but for the most part the TWILIGHT ZONE truly was unique and even Serling himself could never beat his own creation.

Rod Serling in the 1970s before his untimely death came out with "NIGHT GALLEY" which had a few interesting episodes but again it was nothing like the original TWILIGHT ZONE. Even that feeble movie attempt of the TWilight Zone they made in the 1980s was not the real deal like the original series.

ON the late night radio show "Coast To Coast AM" they have guests on quite frequently who have written books on the old TWILIGHT ZONE or even still talk about it a lot. It makes me wonder what he ever based those writings on to begin with? That Show the TWILIGHT ZONE truly was so far ahead of it's time that I constantly meet people even in this day and age that love the ZONE. Almost every holiday the SYFY channel does TWILIGHT ZONE marathons and I usually always have a couple of friends who want to come over and watch the ZONE marathon. The episode of Talky TINA ( THE LIVING DOLL) was one of my favorites>> the other one that always made me go into deep thought was one called "THE HUNT". But there were many that I dearly liked.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

StuntZombie wrote:I was never a fan of many of the reruns they used to play around here. Usually, if there were westerns coming on, that meant cartoons had gone off. Going back and trying to watch some of those older shows now, it's hard to sit through even a half hour episode.

Some of them I can and do watch here and there, others well, I didn't like them much back than either so. :D

Things like The Man From UNCLE, Get Smart, 3's Company, All in the Family, The Wild Wild West I don't have trouble watching at all.

The Twilight Zone is defiantly a classic and easy to watch I think.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:

Things like The Man From UNCLE, Get Smart, 3's Company, All in the Family, The Wild Wild West I don't have trouble watching at all.

Not many people even from the 60s seem to remember or recollect "The Man From UNCLE>> it literally had a cult following during it's time but now it's hard to find anyone who remembers enough to talk about it. I loved that show myself. Whereas "The Wild,Wild West" with Robert Conrad was also a show way ahead of it's time>> and who could forget the small but powerful and wicked Dr. Migilitto Loveless :D who was played by dwarf Michael Dunn who also did episodes of STAR TREK.

There were also a lot of very unique westerns like the "Guns Of Will Sonnet", Laredo, The Big Valley ( Lee Majors launching pad), and the High Chapparal. Some of the science fiction stuff was classic as well like the "Time Tunnel", "The Invaders", and the cult classic STAR TREK.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I completely forgot about Get Smart. Now that's one show I do remember enjoying. If I remember right, it would come on in the afternoons right around the time I got home from school. I always wanted one of those shoe phones..
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Not many people even from the 60s seem to remember or recollect "The Man From UNCLE>> it literally had a cult following during it's time but now it's hard to find anyone who remembers enough to talk about it. I loved that show myself. Whereas "The Wild,Wild West" with Robert Conrad was also a show way ahead of it's time>> and who could forget the small but powerful and wicked Dr. Migilitto Loveless :D who was played by dwarf Michael Dunn who also did episodes of STAR TREK.

There were also a lot of very unique westerns like the "Guns Of Will Sonnet", Laredo, The Big Valley ( Lee Majors launching pad), and the High Chapparal. Some of the science fiction stuff was classic as well like the "Time Tunnel", "The Invaders", and the cult classic STAR TREK.
Don't Forget Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, Rawhide, Daniel Boone, Jungle Jim, Tarzan, Adam 12, Streets Of San Francisco, Kojak, Dragnet and The Rat Patrol.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

The Mastiff wrote: Scene from Banshee where Lola fights Burton:https://youtu.be/_3Tq-OaSsUQ
Note: very violent!
Wow, that's an E Ticket Ride. Thanks for posting that. Going to rent that series.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Greetings Ankerson :) >> The Streets Of San FRancisco and Kojak both were 1970s TV Shows. But even a lot of 1970s shows were super classics. Some of those others you mentioned were early 60s classics and Rawhide is where Clint Eastwood got his start into super-stardom. Wagon Train was just one of many great westerns during the 60s.

On a lighter note who could forget "Lost In Space" with the Robot, Dr. Smith and Billy Mumy :D Also it seems like the 60s launched many science fiction classics like the Time Tunnel, The Invaders, Land Of The Giants and my ultimate favorite sci-fi show STAR TREK :cool:

Gunsmoke is truly a classic among Classics. Amanda Blake was originally from here in my home town of Kansas City, MO USA. Not to mention two more Kansas City Natives being Ed Asner and Walt Disney. I knew Ed's Brother who ran a big time record store over on the Kansas side of town.

The Rat Patrol was big while it lasted and I hardly ever missed an episode. But again the 1970s had some super classics that shouldn't be overlooked.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:Greetings Ankerson :) >> The Streets Of San FRancisco and Kojak both were 1970s TV Shows. But even a lot of 1970s shows were super classics. Some of those others you mentioned were early 60s classics and Rawhide is where Clint Eastwood got his start into super-stardom. Wagon Train was just one of many great westerns during the 60s.

On a lighter note who could forget "Lost In Space" with the Robot, Dr. Smith and Billy Mumy :D Also it seems like the 60s launched many science fiction classics like the Time Tunnel, The Invaders, Land Of The Giants and my ultimate favorite sci-fi show STAR TREK :cool:

Gunsmoke is truly a classic among Classics. Amanda Blake was originally from here in my home town of Kansas City, MO USA. Not to mention two more Kansas City Natives being Ed Asner and Walt Disney. I knew Ed's Brother who ran a big time record store over on the Kansas side of town.

The Rat Patrol was big while it lasted and I hardly ever missed an episode. But again the 1970s had some super classics that shouldn't be overlooked.

Also Land of the Lost was pretty good. :)

Forgot about Lost In Space for some reason.

Land of the Giants was a good show.

What About Ultra Man and Godzilla?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Again there seemed to be a big selection of Sci-Fi shows back in the 1960s. Few people remember the TIME TUNNEL and it was only on the air for 2 seasons but it was a great show and it gave you great history lessons. Another Classic that few people remember was I-SPY with Robert Culp and Bill Cosby ( very unusual role for him :confused: ).

Back to Westerns who could forget the iconic BONANZA. All of those guys in that show became icons. Laredo was a western plotted with Texas Rangers and it was interesting and entertaining both.

Now the funny stuff like the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, Andy GRiffith Show, And the bumbling Dick Van Dyke.

Ed Sullivan should be given credit for literally changing the world as we know it>> when he brought the BEATLES, The Rolling STone and the Animals with ERic Burdon.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:Again there seemed to be a big selection of Sci-Fi shows back in the 1960s. Few people remember the TIME TUNNEL and it was only on the air for 2 seasons but it was a great show and it gave you great history lessons. Another Classic that few people remember was I-SPY with Robert Culp and Bill Cosby ( very unusual role for him :confused: ).

Back to Westerns who could forget the iconic BONANZA. All of those guys in that show became icons. Laredo was a western plotted with Texas Rangers and it was interesting and entertaining both.

Now the funny stuff like the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, Andy GRiffith Show, And the bumbling Dick Van Dyke.

Ed Sullivan should be given credit for literally changing the world as we know it>> when he brought the BEATLES, The Rolling STone and the Animals with ERic Burdon.
I remember them all. :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

"Love, American Style" was one I recall beginning to push content without ever showing skin. More insinuation than anything else. Man has our culture changed in regards to nudity, sex, bodily functions, sex preferences, everything basically. Remember when "3's company" was considered pushing the limit on sex on TV? Now you can flip through channels and see same sex couples going at it, so much nudity it's not even notable any more. Some of this stuff I don't want to see to be honest and I'm not really all that old and repressed. :)

joe
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Joe,

I remember Love, American Style. :)

I am with you on some stuff I would rather not see.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I don't know about yall but I love old time POPEYE CARTOONS! :)
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Did any of you mob ever see Shintaro ?
Or maybe Skippy the Bush Kangaroo ?
O.