Carbon Steel Purist: How do you respond?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cliff Stamp

Re: Carbon Steel Purist: How do you respond?

Post by Cliff Stamp »

bdblue wrote:....you could just about equally argue that stainless steel is completely better than carbon steel.
There is a kind of purist attitude about knives that is argued by some, they don't need stainless steels as they can take care of their knives. But a real question is - if you don't need the corrosion resistance, then why use stainless :

-chromium above a small amount doesn't make a steel stronger or tougher or more wear resistant (it pretty much decreases all of it)

-they are more expensive, harder to grind and WAY more demanding to harden than carbon steels

There are ABS guys who used to (many still do) with a propane torch, kitchen oven, and can of food oil and a piece of scrap metal, make an extreme fine cutting instrument. It really isn't possible to at all easily forge or even harden stainless steel without a lot more knowledge, skill and equipment.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

this is always a subject i would rather not discussing because most of the time them 'purists' would put a barrier inside their minds so whatever you say, whatever you trying to explain even if you backed up with scientific data, they just wont listen. I rather just remain telling uh-huh and nods because if it works for them (whatever they tried to be pure about) then its good. they should just appreciate the fact that they didn't have to spend lot of bucks in search for a more expensive steels available in knives....

on side note, I also like traditional steels very much in fact several of my favorites was knives made from springsteels.
danielc

Post by danielc »

Its horses for courses I think like would you use a high carbon knife over stainless in food prep? Probably not or would you use stainless wood working tools instead of tool steel with its ease to keep sharp? Every steel has merits and downsides this guy just won't see this I would say because he is comfortable working carbon steel and not most stainless so intsead of learning about it he just shuts his mind off to it with (frontier men) anecdotes and put downs.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

It's a bit like the whole "Pizza with pineapple on it is not really pizza, because the Italians would laugh at you- I'm a purist" argument.

It's my pizza- I'll have what I ****-well want on it.....I don't need you to eat it or like it.
It's my knife- I'll have it made out of whatever steel I ****-well want....I don't need you to use it or like it. ;)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Retro-grouch.
Going back to Caly.