We know what you mean...but still

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: We know what you mean...but still

Post by Doc Dan »

From Merriam-Webster's Dictionary: "Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS
Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead."

Regardless, irregardless is redundant and drives me nuts when I hear it.

Another error people make is using two superlatives together. This is not always wrong, but usually it is wrong. "Super fantastic", "more better", and many others come to mind.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

While it may not be grammatically wrong one thing which drives me nuts is when people use what I named Parkerisms after a boss I once had that did it all the time. He would not commit to anything and would always say things like "that's a definite possibility" and I would tell him that has no meaning and that it is either definite or possible and that his Parkerisms were "probably definitely" just a way to sound more committal than he really was. He would say "probably definitely" all the time.

Sorry for the tangent as that was about verbal communication and not written communication but I had to share anyway.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Doc Dan wrote: "more better", and many others come to mind.
Except in the case of the slang commercial website Mo Hotta, Mo Betta, who sell some wonderful spices and hot sauces ;)

http://www.mohotta.com/?gclid=CIPs853q_ ... gQodp6QAXw

Ken
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

How about a commonly used term on this forum and similar ones? Everyday vs. every day. "Everyday" means commonplace, normal, or ordinary, whereas "every day" means "each day." For example, I wear my everyday carry (EDC) knife and flashlight whenever I wear clothes, which I tend to do every day. :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mr. Shawn wrote:How about a commonly used term on this forum and similar ones? Everyday vs. every day. "Everyday" means commonplace, normal, or ordinary, whereas "every day" means "each day." For example, I wear my everyday carry (EDC) knife and flashlight whenever I wear clothes, which I tend to do every day. :D
The problem here is that some folks believe that EDC implies a knife that you carry every day, others feel it implies a knife that you carry on all but special occasions, and still others feel it only implies a knife suitable for one or the other of those.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Ect
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

While I understand where you're coming from, this is a forum, not a college writing class. So long as posts are coherent, I see no reason to insult everybody by taking the arrogant position of correcting us. By doing so you have insinuated that we are some how less intelligent than you, which may or may not have been your intention, and while it may be true in some cases, I don't think it is you place to make that call, nor is it conducive to congeniality amongst users.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Anuther forum I am on is littered with dislexics or lisdexics or dyslexics. Yu now wat thet meen & its not that hard to figer it out.
Teh knew peeple always have a go at them over there spelting with out nowing that they are lisdexic an eech time they must dee fend threselves.
With sum it is a mirical & wunder that they can even tipe ; let alon git under'stood.
All power two them for gitting in and having a go.
Lets all kik the bloke in teh weel chair now.
O.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do not mind having my grammar corrected because I have a tendency to correct peoples math all the time and admittedly sometimes show a lack of patience when doing so. Pointing out my bad grammar does not make me feel less intelligent because I know that I can crunch numbers better than most. We are all good at different things and we can all help each other out.

Correct me all you want, I need the help.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

Texting is ruining the intelligence of the masses.
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

David from NC wrote:Texting is ruining the intelligence of the masses.
+1 :(
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Please post this everywhere on every forum, Facebook and convince Google, Yahoo, etc. to send to every email user in existence.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Today is National Grammar Day. (America)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I saw this yesterday- "stainless steal knives". I think I know what he meant, but he could have meant the other...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

From a story currently on our local NBC affiliate station's website, reporting an automobile accident:
No injuries have been reported in the wreck, but traffic is being affected in the area and motorists are encouraged to choose alternate roots until the accident can be cleared.
:rolleyes:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Officer Gigglez wrote:While I understand where you're coming from, this is a forum, not a college writing class. So long as posts are coherent, I see no reason to insult everybody by taking the arrogant position of correcting us. By doing so you have insinuated that we are some how less intelligent than you, which may or may not have been your intention, and while it may be true in some cases, I don't think it is you place to make that call, nor is it conducive to congeniality amongst users.
Soooo you didn't read the very first paragraph of my post, then? Please read the below quotes, all of which I wrote in this thread. Intelligence, knowledge, and care are different things. I don't mean offend anyone by putting out the information.
I've held off on this as long as I possibly can, but folks, I can hold off no longer. If you are guilty of the below errors, don't fret, you are NOT alone. However, there's no shame in being wrong, recognizing it, and learning from it. Many times people are just ignorant that what they've written is incorrect. There is no shame in ignorance (even though "ignorant" has acquired a negative connotation), just like there's no shame in not knowing something is stuck in your teeth. So take my post as merely a friend pointing out that you have something in your teeth.
Haha if one person learns something, then (new idea: then vs than) it's worth it. Again, I feel that in some cases, people really just don't know. It's just as easy to type wonder as it is wander. Obviously I don't expect all errors to disappear, or even for ME to stop making any errors. Perfection was never the point, just having some fun showing people that there's a reason to care.
bearfacedkiller wrote:Half of my posts are made while either on my phone or while holding a baby and typing with one hand. You are gonna have to take what you get. This is a knife forum after all, not a grammar forum. I agree 100% with you and I do try to take care when communicating in either a written or verbal manner but it just doesn't come easy to some of us. Differential equations I can do but high school english not so much. Numbers are my thing and letters are not.
Of course, and I understand those things, which is why I don't beat people up over errors or correct them constantly. Although Yab called me the Grammar Police that actually isn't how I view this. The police seek out and punish you for doing wrong, I'm merely just posting the information for those interested. As I said earlier, if someone learns something, then I feel like I've been productive. I certainly don't have the energy or desire to actually police and correct people's grammar every time an error comes up.

I own a gym, and I hate running into clients in the grocery store. I know that they're suddenly embarrassed to see me and think that I'm judging the contents of their cart. Do I have an opinion on what their ideal diet should consist of? Darn right I do, but if I've given them the information I've really done all I can, the rest is up to them. So I really don't care what's in their cart. If they feel that eating cheetos is worth reduced athletic performance, then so be it, at least they have been told the consequences. I view this thread in the same way. I put out the information, but won't be offended if no one decides to change their behavior.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Mastiff wrote:Tvenuto, what are your feelings about those of us that aren't above just plain making up words as needed to suit the occasion? ( usually means when my "old timers" kicks in and I can't think of the correct word.)

1)OK? 2) Never gave it much thought? Or, 3)Should be made to "kiss the gunners daughter " at the earliest convince or some other type of example made of them suitable to the infraction.

Joe
Making up words is perfectly cromulent. And by that I mean to say I choose #1. Just be instupituous about it, and you'll be fine.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Here's an interesting article: 15 words to eliminate from your writing.

It would be interesting to see if you could manage it for a certain amount of time. Many of them are not technically incorrect, they just don't add to your thought, and in some cases avoiding them will force you into a more descriptive way to say what you mean.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

With all of this perambulating and postulating we need a bit more morphological stratification and a little less debilitating dialectic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Eschew obfuscation, Doc Dan.