Does this knife set sound like junk?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Does this knife set sound like junk?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Does this sound like trash and not to waste money on, or, is it a good bargain? I saw an ad for an "All Purpose Hobby Knife Set": The set has about 40 detachable blades that fit into a plastic handle, via a turnable screw. The blades are all flat ground and they claim the steel is "CrV Carbon Steel", which I think would be "Chromium Vanadium". The blades are all X-Acto type and scalpel-looking and mini wood carving type blades. The kit also comes with a small rectangular sharpening stone, and a small bottle of "super glue". The entire set costs about 20 dollars, excluding shipping. The ad claims this is the "ultimate hobby knife set" and can be used to whittle, carve wood, make models, and more.
demoncase

Re: Does this knife set sound like junk?

Post by demoncase »

First rule: If there is any doubt then there is no doubt.
Second rule: Caveat emptor ;)

Or to answer your question directly: Yes. They sound like junk.

Cheap tools are just that- cheap, disposable dross that you bin after a few uses....Look at it this way: someone, somewhere in a Chinese sweatshop has had to make all those pieces of steel, fit those screws, buy in sharpening stone and some superglue in a tube, pay someone to put them all in a little box THEN ship them all the way to the other side of the world cheap enough to make selling them for $20 retail profitable......Do we believe that for that probably $4 wholesale price you are going to be getting premium tooling?

They might be fine for a little light modelling/minature work- but whittling?- I don't even need to see 'em to say "Nope"

Look at it with a related example: You can buy a tape measure for $3 or $30.
One will last you a lifetime.
One will last you for one job.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've been using X-Acto knives since I was a kid and, IMHO, there's no single more important tool for a model builder to own. So, if you're in the market for a "hobby knife" and the the blades that come with that one are "X-Acto type", then do you self a huge favor, spend a few bucks more and get the genuine article. You can probably find this set for $20.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you, you guys are right.

It's better to get the real thing and to spend a little more up front and have a better quality tool or set of tools.

I have seen flea markets where they put out these cheapo tools on the tables, like wrenches and screwdrivers for 2-5 dollars. Someone told me the ones who use those are often times people who need to do a single construction job and then not reuse the tools or invest much into them.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I'd recommend passing on that "hobby set."
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I love flea market tool sales - but I am looking for good, used tools, not new, cheap ones. Cost is often comparable, and for hand tools at least, it is either going to work or not.