Anybody has a MARTTIINI SHARPENING STONE ? Natural or man-made? Grit? Experiences?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
knivve

Anybody has a MARTTIINI SHARPENING STONE ? Natural or man-made? Grit? Experiences?

Post by knivve »

Gentlemen!

Anybody knows something about the stone?

The factory says on their website only the followings:

Traditional sharpening stone of the Lappish serizite quartzite.
The sharpening stone has two surfaces of different grit grades: first the blade is sharpened with circular movements on the rougher side, after which the blade edge is finished on the finer side by removing the circular marks. The sharpener also includes a groove for sharpening hooks.

I asked the factory and some dealers some questions but they did not answer. So knows anybody something about the stone?

It’s a natural stone or man-made?
If natural, is it naturally two sided or glued ? ( I know that there are natural two-sided sharpening stones, but they are very expensive.)
Grit sizes ?

Thank you in advance:
K.
Lost

Re: Anybody has a MARTTIINI SHARPENING STONE ? Natural or man-made? Grit? Experiences?

Post by Lost »

knivve wrote:Gentlemen!

Anybody knows something about the stone?

The factory says on their website only the followings:

Traditional sharpening stone of the Lappish serizite quartzite.
The sharpening stone has two surfaces of different grit grades: first the blade is sharpened with circular movements on the rougher side, after which the blade edge is finished on the finer side by removing the circular marks. The sharpener also includes a groove for sharpening hooks.

I asked the factory and some dealers some questions but they did not answer. So knows anybody something about the stone?

It’s a natural stone or man-made?
If natural, is it naturally two sided or glued ? ( I know that there are natural two-sided sharpening stones, but they are very expensive.)
Grit sizes ?

Thank you in advance:
K.
This is where I see the first problem. This should throw up a red flag instantly. If you cannot get customer service from the company trying to sell their product, do you expect to get it after it has been purchased? Is there a specific reason why you are looking at this certain stone? Why not try something offered by Spyderco? Sorry I couldn't be of more help in your quest for answers about that particular stone.
knivve

Re: Anybody has a MARTTIINI SHARPENING STONE ? Natural or man-made? Grit? Experiences?

Post by knivve »

This is where I see the first problem. This should throw up a red flag instantly. If you cannot get customer service from the company trying to sell their product, do you expect to get it after it has been purchased? Is there a specific reason why you are looking at this certain stone? Why not try something offered by Spyderco? Sorry I couldn't be of more help in your quest for answers about that particular stone.
I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker and a Double Sfuff, and I use them. But I have other stones, too: I like and collect whetstones: I think, I'm not alone with this "honing stone fetish". About this Marttiini stone: simply I try to know something more about the stone, probably somebody knows something more about it.
Lost

Post by Lost »

Ahhhh.. I understand. Sorry I couldn't help you out more. Hopefully someone else chimes in with some info for you.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

If it is truly a quartzite stone, I'd bet that it is ground up and reconstituted (not entirely natural, in other words). If so, there are probably better options out there - such as Spyderco's ceramic stones. These will remain flat, offer uniform grit, and perform consistently for many years.

Go with a proven track record.

TedP
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I agree with TED and the other good Brother>> sharpening stones are not something you want to bargain hunt for. They are a product where you truly do get what you pay for. If you want to check out some great sharpening stones that are not made by Spyderco then go to one of the following websites i.e. chefsknivestogo.com >> garrettwade.com>> JapanWoodWorker.com also if you're in the culinary field the best site I know of is >> theknifemerchant.com.

Stay with the good, high quality items. There are great stones like Shapton, Norton, 3M and DMT and you can't go wrong with any of those. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you finally get.