NEW Mora Knives: Thicker, Heavier.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

NEW Mora Knives: Thicker, Heavier.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Well check this out everyone, Mora of Sweden has released new knives:

http://www.moraofsweden.se/products/construction" target="_blank

They come in both carbon and stainless, they look heavier and beefier than the previous ones, mora robust =)

These have both the hard polymer and softer rubber handle inserts mixed together. They appear to have the same good Scandi grind we Mora fans like.

They are the ones shown at the top of the Mora page.

I like this one:

http://www.moraofsweden.se/construction/morakniv-pro-s" target="_blank
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: NEW Mora Knives: Thicker, Heavier.

And now Ragweed Forge has the new Mora knives in; Very cool knives.

https://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html" target="_blank

Wherea's the hole? =)
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

They are in fact great knives, I got the Pro C and Pro S same lenght and spine thickness of the 511 but wider blade the ergos are great. Just waiting on the Robust, 511 and 546 with new handles to get to the dealer. Also Mora brought back the clipper and there is a claim it has a longer tang inside the handle.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Honestly don't like the newer version. The older ones are great for bushcraft.
SpyderEdgeForever

Monocrom wrote:Honestly don't like the newer version. The older ones are great for bushcraft.

What's the downsides of the new ones?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For all of you interested to know I've got something to share about the Frost MORA and the Mora of Sweden knives. I used to subscribe to a magazine called "Wilderness Way" and it was a really well done and informative magazine about primitive earth skills, Survivalism and living off the land. One of their final issues did an article about Mora knives and they said of the dozens of brands of commercially made knives that they tested the MORA brand was the best made and best quality knife out there for the money.

Oh they admitted that there were better knives out there>> but they also stressed that the few brands that were better costs many times more than one of those Mora knives. I've yet to own one myself but I've got a couple of pals I hunt and fish with that own them and they swear by them.

If I remember correctly I believe their stainless models use "SANDVIK" steel>> which is certainly respectable by anyone's standards. I don't know much about which carbon steel they use but I've heard that their heat treating is excellent for the price. I'm definitely going to check out one of these new ones as soon as I can.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I got the new pro handle 511, 546, robust, pro c and pro s all are great with very nice ergonomics. But I agree if you want more of a bushcraft survival knife the old mora handle is better, that new finger guard gets on the way when using the knife. The new version of the clipper is awesome also the new version of the 510. The new pro ones are very attractive and have superior design and ergonomics but as far as functionality the older handle works better in my opinion.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
araneae

Post by araneae »

I like the looks of the new models. I'm sure I will get the new basic and pro S sooner or later. I have a companion that I use at work and it has held up nicely over a year of use. I sadly lost it this winter, but promptly ordered another as well as grabbing a Robust and a Companion HD which both have a larger handle and thicker blade stock.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

If you're looking for an all-purpose get-the-job-done fixed blade, the basic/original Moras will do a better job for less than pretty much anything else available new. I don't feel that the more expensive models stand up as well to comparison.

The thicker models appear to be closer to what many of us are used to in :spyder: models in general. Would like to side-by-side them and see which I like using more.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

I bought a couple of the Robust models, my first Mora purchase. This weekend, me and a couple of coworkers are going feral hog hunting with handguns. Even though the weather will be in the 60's, I'm positive there will be some fire starting chores to perform. Can't wait!
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I got a heavy duty in carbon steel that lives in my bag.

I've used it a little now and so far I'm very happy.

It's holding a great edge.