Sharpmaker advice. Tip control

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Sharpmaker advice. Tip control

Post by ZrowsN1s »

When I first started using the sharpmaker I found that if your not paying attention you could round corners even when you didn't let the tip slide off the stones. Practice, and paying attention is the key.

With a little practice I learned to avoid the tip rounding issue using the flats or corners. Whether you stop at the tip, or follow through (I do it both ways). Use light pressure of course, but also as you reach the very tip go from light to NO pressure, almost lift the blade off the stone as you reach the tip. After a while it becomes muscle memory, no more rounding issues. It still happens to me every once in a while if I'm watching tv while I'm sharpening :o but I'm pretty good about keeping it to a minimum.

I found this vid of BBB demo'ing the sharpmaker, he does it both ways in the vid. Stopping with the tip still on the stones, and following all the way through. I'd say go with what ever is easier for you.

https://youtu.be/hlguyiQwXFI
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Robert Ptacek

Post by Robert Ptacek »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:35 am
Regarding the right amount of pressure, I'd like to repeat a tip I've shared before.

If you can't do your finishing strokes on the sharpmaker with one hand (assuming the base is not mounted), you are using too much pressure.

You should be using less than the weight of the knife for your finishing strokes. You basically want to use the lightest amount of pressure you can while maintaining consistent contact with the stones.

Don't support the sharpmaker with your off hand or any mounts while you finish up your edge. If the base moves, you're pressing too hard.

This is the secret. This is why I can whittle individual hairs with any steel right off the brown stones.
Vivi is spot on.I have been using this technique of late and it takes your edges to the next level.I've always got good edges with the SM but this will improve your finished edges.To facilitate this I hold my knife between my thumb and two fingers and also don't hold the base.It is amazing how little pressure is needed to deburr and refine.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Like Woodpuppy and others, I stop short of the tip when sharpening on the corners and do the tip only on the flats.