The Gauntlet Stands Revealed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Re: The Gauntlet Stands Revealed

Post by lonerider1013 »

I like it I like it.

But am I the only one who thinks it reminds me of the toucan from the froot loops commercial when I was a youngster?

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

May be attractive to the general public, but I'm not sure how many here want a sharpener only capable of creating a 40º edge.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I have to admit I was hoping for something much different myself, there is no way this matches the versatility of the sharp-maker. Disappointing really makes me scratch my head and say ummmm Why?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:29 pm
I have to admit I was hoping for something much different myself, there is no way this matches the versatility of the sharp-maker. Disappointing really makes me scratch my head and say ummmm Why?
I'm gonna guess that's it's cheaper than the Sharpmaker and aimed more at casual/novice knife users and is more entry level and less complicated than the Sharpmaker. Something simple for kitchen users etc.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:29 pm
I'm gonna guess that's it's cheaper than the Sharpmaker and aimed more at casual/novice knife users and is more entry level and less complicated than the Sharpmaker. Something simple for kitchen users etc.
That's what I was thinking, as well.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It looks like a great sharpener for a non-knife person. I think it's probably going to do well as a product, but won't be something that the average "knife person" on this forum is going to want to own.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:30 pm
I like it I like it.

But am I the only one who thinks it reminds me of the toucan from the froot loops commercial when I was a youngster?

Lonerider

Yes it does. I like it too. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Toucan Sam! Want. When’s the hap40 sprint coming? :p
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

i love the cat’s eye profile stones, but at a fixed 40 degrees, I’m going to have to pass on this one. If there was a UF stone version I might get it to touch up a micro bevel on my 30deg. knives, but I already own two Sharpmakers.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I wonder what the future of the sharp-maker is? At this price I am still saying not only what for? but uh yeah no. Don't get me wrong I love Spyderco but see this as a huge flop.

It is very hard for me to believe this is actually for sale. Would love to hear the rationale behind this from Sal. I mean even a rank beginner gets more use out of a sharpmaker the concept is just not that complex.

The catseye stones are pretty cool though :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I like the idea of cat’s eye stones but I’m a little puzzled too.

I think the SharpMaker is a cleaver, compact and indispensable sharpening aid. So, I’d have liked to see the cats eye stones in a similar package. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Not really what I was expecting either but it looks interesting.

I like the new stone shape too. And for me, I pretty much use the Sharpmaker only for microbeveling, and that nearly always at the 40° setting, so I wouldn't necessarily need the 30° slots. I don't use the Sharpmaker for reprofiling; I use my Hapstone.

However, I feel like I have enough sharpening equipment for now: I just need to get more sharpening skill. ;) So I don't think I'll be buying this anytime soon.

Still, it looks like a nice system.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

As someone who had trouble justifying the sharpmaker over an electric to friends for maintaining kitchen knives, I'm happy to see that the CBN stones are included. At least now there isn't another piece people need to buy to do repair work.

The new shape is also great.

But I agree about the edge angle; nobody in kitchen cutlery is doing 20DPS anymore. 12-13 is actually pretty common. For pocket knives it's probably fine, but I much prefer the 15° edge even for beater knives like my Resilience.

Edit: I misread the knife center listing, "select" only has the fine rods. Very interesting.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I like the Gauntlet and Para 3 serrated.

Not too sure of the Wharncliffe/Toucan lol

What do you mean by
‘I like the idea of cat’s eye stones’ ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Looks like I nice setup, but I don't think I can justify picking it up.

I set the edge on my folders/fixed blades at 15dps with a 20dps microbevel and my kitchen knives are mostly set at 15dps with no microbevel.

I use an Edge Pro to set the bevels on my folders and kitchen knives and then use a Sharpmaker maintain my kitchen knives and set the microbevel and maintain sharpness on my folders/fixed blades.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think it’s clever. The star holders - so you can use most of the surface of the cats eye profile - is very neat.

With a flat blade running down a SM flat face, I often wonder how big the contact patch really is. The steel deposit on my dirty rods is never entirely even.

Also I recall Cliff Stamp claimed that the SM rod points could easily overstress the blade edge I would assume that is less likely on an elliptical rod face.

More proper innovation from Spyderco, then.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I see a CQI in its future, missing 15 degree option is missing the boat.

Wonder if I should buy another Sharpmaker to avoid it being discontinued and possibly needing one later?

Have to look harder but I wonder if the catseye stones will work in the Sharpmaker, probably not.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 am

Wonder if I should buy another Sharpmaker to avoid it being discontinued and possibly needing one later?

I don't think Spyderco will ever discontinue the Sharpmaker.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:30 am
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 am

I don't think Spyderco will ever discontinue the Sharpmaker.
I would not be so sure about that they discontinued great sharpening stones in the past people loved in favor of double stuff.