V Toku Stretch in Stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueblur

Re: V Toku Stretch in Stock

Post by blueblur »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:38 pm
Please explain to me the benefits of this steel type. Thanks
If you search big brown bear on YouTube, he’s posted some informative vids on the steel.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Finally in stock @ bladehq.com. Just ordered mine!

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... Run--78698
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

In stock at national knives and on the way. Can’t wait to see how the 2 compares to a 1 for hunting
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Skinner wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:35 pm
In stock at national knives and on the way. Can’t wait to see how the 2 compares to a 1 for hunting
With what little skinning I have done it seems to me the extra Belly on the Stretch 2 would be greatly welcome as one pulls and grazes with the blade. The Stretch 1 is awesome make no mistake but sometimes a pointer tip with a bit less belly is not so great for skinning.

The thing that shows with the Stretch 2 is Sal's commitment to one of his private favored designs. Sal has not let profit drive him in it's design and has even said it does not sell as well as he would like, yet he invests his design time and effort into it and it shows.

Further more from a corporate point of view of profits above all else it Shows Sal's commitment to functional great knives above profits, God I respect that!

The design is not pretty.

The design is ergonomic and extremely usable.

No Safe Queen here. If you want a folder that performs it is the Stretch 2 Pick your Steel. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

<r><QUOTE author="Doeswhateveraspidercan" post_id="1297725" time="1547266299" user_id="34564"><s>
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:11 pm
</s>
<QUOTE author="Skinner" post_id="1297718" time="1547264159" user_id="31878"><s>
Skinner wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:35 pm
</s>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

The thing that shows with the Stretch 2 is Sal's commitment to one of his private favored designs. Sal has not let profit drive him in it's design and has even said it does not sell as well as he would like, yet he invests his design time and effort into it and it shows.

Further more from a corporate point of view of profits above all else it Shows Sal's commitment to functional great knives above profits, God I respect that!<br/>

The design is not pretty.

The design is ergonomic and extremely usable. <br/>

No Safe Queen here. If you want a folder that performs it is the Stretch 2 Pick your Steel. <E>:)</E>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

I did praise the Stretch several times on this forum already, but will never get tired of doing so since it's such an amazing knife.

So I fully second your post and want to add: The design is probably "not pretty," at first glance, but even that has changed for me after using the Stretch a lot in various tasks and beeing astonished how well it does in all of those.
Today I very much like how it looks also. It's like having experienced what this design can do, makes you look at it in a new light.
Maybe comparable to the opening hole: For many people new to knifes it may look odd and "not pretty", but having used it and experienced its functionality, one comes to like it's looks also.

What's funny with the Stretch-design: Non knife people sometimes find it less "scary" and aggressive looking than some other Spydercos. While they associate something like the Endura with a reptile or bird of pray, or a Native with a shark, the Stretch reminds them more of a duck, even when closed of a sleeping duck with it's head tucked away under the wing.. :)
Makes me wonder, if on the other hand knife people unconsciously are more attrackted at first glance to knifes that look MORE aggressive and not too "rounded"?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Could be what I call the Rambo Factor. Even non knife people get a primitive cave man cave woman reaction! Hmm sharp! Uggg Dangerous hagghhh mmmm good me like, oh me no supposed to like.

See a stretch Hmmm waht that? Look like sharp thumb, funny ha, ha him think that a knife ha ha me be nice.

Amusing myself clearly...

I thought it looked like a thumb reinterpreted as a knife blade and it turns out it is every bit as useful as an opposite thumb with a sharp edge and a point.

Yesterday I took a stick of Pepperoni Stretch 2 in my right hand right thumb on the Pepperoni stick and circles it once clean cut and complete control of the cut with very little focus required not to go right through and add my thumb to the cut.

I then did the same with the Spydiechef and the control was not as good.

VG10 is a steel designed for grafting plants it has to be very sharp to get parts to match for the graft without crushing the plant as SAL recently described.

This knife shape and steel choice is a perfect combo for edc.

Like yourself the more I use it every day the more I feel like singing it’ praises. Hope others catch on and do not miss this for EDC and collection, I know I haven’t
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh and one more thing I agree with use the function has thrown a new light on appearance I look at it now and smile with appreciation. It looks much better now.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:19 am
Could be what I call the Rambo Factor. Even non knife people get a primitive cave man cave woman reaction! Hmm sharp! Uggg Dangerous hagghhh mmmm good me like, oh me no supposed to like.

See a stretch Hmmm waht that? Look like sharp thumb, funny ha, ha him think that a knife ha ha me be nice.

Amusing myself clearly...

I thought it looked like a thumb reinterpreted as a knife blade and it turns out it is every bit as useful as an opposite thumb with a sharp edge and a point.

Yesterday I took a stick of Pepperoni Stretch 2 in my right hand right thumb on the Pepperoni stick and circles it once clean cut and complete control of the cut with very little focus required not to go right through and add my thumb to the cut.

I then did the same with the Spydiechef and the control was not as good.

VG10 is a steel designed for grafting plants it has to be very sharp to get parts to match for the graft without crushing the plant as SAL recently described.

This knife shape and steel choice is a perfect combo for edc.

Like yourself the more I use it every day the more I feel like singing it’ praises. Hope others catch on and do not miss this for EDC and collection, I know I haven’t
Agree, it is not menacing and looks better the more it’s used ... this forum lacks ‘like’ button and thumbsup emoji.
Chris :spyder:
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Mine came today and it is my first Stretch. I too was put off by the looks but when I heard it was coming out as a sprint run with V-TOKU blade steel I decided to try one. I have to admit the ergos feel good and it’s sharp razor sharp out of the box. Time to give her some pocket time. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:19 am

:p :p EXACTLY what I meant to express..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

holeshot wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm
Mine came today and it is my first Stretch. I too was put off by the looks but when I heard it was coming out as a sprint run with V-TOKU blade steel I decided to try one. I have to admit the ergos feel good and it’s sharp razor sharp out of the box. Time to give her some pocket time. :)
Congrats!! If you actually use your knifes, you´ll love it!!
And maybe you´d like to report back after some real use if you too experience that "Stretch - phenomenon" and one day find yourself liking the looks also... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am
Oh and one more thing I agree with use the function has thrown a new light on appearance I look at it now and smile with appreciation. It looks much better now.
I started a thread quite recently where I stated that I would like to see the Stretch 2 AND Stretch 1 both beeing still in production. NOT because the Stretch 1 was the better knife (for many the Stretch 2 will be even a tad better!) but mainly for it beeing even MORE "odd" looking at first glance but getting "pretty" when used, and so for me it´s kind of a symbol or the essence of Spydercos general "form follows function" and as such should never disappear.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:34 pm
I started a thread quite recently where I stated that I would like to see the Stretch 2 AND Stretch 1 both beeing still in production. NOT because the Stretch 1 was the better knife (for many the Stretch 2 will be even a tad better!) but mainly for it beeing even MORE "odd" looking at first glance but getting "pretty" when used, and so for me it´s kind of a symbol or the essence of Spydercos general "form follows function" and as such should never disappear.
I agree after all after discovering Stretch 2 I paid more on the secondary market for Stretch 1. Methinks Spyderco tends to be too quick on the trigger to disco products for the Johnny come lates.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:41 pm
Wartstein wrote:
I agree after all after discovering Stretch 2 I paid more on the secondary market for Stretch 1. Methinks Spyderco tends to be too quick on the trigger to disco products for the Johnny come lates.
Do you happen to know if ever the previous version of a still existing model was brought back for some kind of a sprint run maybe? Don't know if that would be possible technically... if they still have the "molds" or whatever you need for production
Doeswhateveraspidercan

That is a good question for Sal. Hard to believe he would let those molds be destroyed. This is his baby!

Paging Sal come in Sal what say you sir?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:49 pm
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:41 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Do you happen to know if ever the previous version of a still existing model was brought back for some kind of a sprint run maybe? Don't know if that would be possible technically... if they still have the "molds" or whatever you need for production
This has been covered quite a bit in regards to multiple models. Basically, new molds are extremely expensive so existing molds are modified to create the current version. The Stretch1 molds were turned into Stretch2 molds.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks a lot for clarifying! May I ask: You strongly assume so or know for certain (since that is what Spyderco generally does when improving a model into the next generation)?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:41 pm
Thanks a lot for clarifying! May I ask: You strongly assume so or know for certain (since that is what Spyderco generally does when improving a model into the next generation)?
Well, only Spyderco knows for certain I suppose. I feel pretty safe saying that the molds were modified. Sal has stated that this is the standard procedure. Maybe we will get a more official response. :)

I would say that the handle is here to stay and that if you liked to pointier tip of the Stretch1 that you could always grind a little off a Stretch2 and get close.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:41 pm
Well, only Spyderco knows for certain I suppose. I feel pretty safe saying that the molds were modified. Sal has stated that this is the standard procedure. Maybe we will get a more official response. :)

I would say that the handle is here to stay and that if you liked to pointier tip of the Stretch1 that you could always grind a little off a Stretch2 and get close.
Thanks again! I like both, the 1 and the 2 very much. What I prefer in the 1 is: More actual edge in an overall shorter package; Hand closer to the edge when holding the knife not choked up; and just for me personally the handle of the 1 has a perfect fit, but the 2 will fit MORE hands than the 1 I am sure. In the 2 I like that the blade is taller without a step between Ricasso and edge like the 1 has.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Sal"master yoga" Glesser - invented stretch he did...
Can't wait to get my hands on one in frn, if only lamnia could speed up their delivery..
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean