Calypso Jr. Super Blue - Impressions & Performance Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Calypso Jr. Super Blue - Impressions & Performance Thread

Post by The Meat man »

Decided to start a new thread dedicated to impressions and thoughts on this interesting new Sprint Run and its design and performance.

I ordered mine on Thursday the 13th from DLT Trading and it was in my mailbox this morning! Extremely fast shipping and a great experience. And they sent along a paracord bracelet with a whistle in it for free.

First impressions - I'm impressed with the design. It fits my XL hand well without being too constrictive. I like the finger choil - it's enough to be useful without being intrusive. The fishscale FRN is interesting, but doesn't really feel any different to me than their other molds.

The clip is a work of art! I like the subdued, stonewashed type finish and the high-contrast black Spyder logo.

The main attraction for me of course is the Super Blue blade. As others have said, it's very reminiscent of the Dragonfly blade, except that it is longer, and does not have any jimping on either the spine or the choil. It would be nicer with some jimping IMO but it's not a big deal for me. The blade is razor sharp and beautifully finished. Very well done.

It does have a sharpening choil, which I like, but it's fairly large. I won't know until I use it if it is too big for my tastes, so we'll see. I do think it'll make sharpening easier, which is a big plus.

Overall fit & finish are typical Spyderco. One thing I've noticed in both photos, and in my knife, is that the lockbar and pivot areas appear to have some pretty loose tolerances with the FRN. There is no blade play at all, but you can see a tiny gap between the lockbar and the FRN. I'm actually glad for this, being that it is a pinned construction. It'll make cleaning a lot easier.

That brings me to probably my main issue with this knife. I wish it were a screw-together construction instead of pinned, particularly with a rust-prone steel like SB. However, I can live with it. I'll just have to be a bit more careful than usual when using it.

Overall impression so far is very favorable, and I'm looking forward to giving it some use and seeing how it performs.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"