We need more Wharncliffes!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

Re: We need more Wharncliffes!

Post by embry386 »

Joris Mo wrote:Would love a Native 5 LW with a wharncliffe blade, should make for a great user!
This in plainedge (although I wouldn't say no to a serrated option as well). I'd like a DLC option, all my other knives are DLC and I'm very picky about the colors matching.

Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

I personally like a wharncliffe with a little belly, like the ppt.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Evil D wrote:We've had requests for a Yojimbo 2 XL...if it were made exactly the same just another 1/2-3/4 inch longer in the blade I'd buy one.
And I want a Lil Yo, how ironic
Much easier to cut the blade and handle down than to add length ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

+1 for the wharnFly and wharnBug :D
I think they would be great EDC knives for folks like me who work in an office building where bigger knives are frowned upon.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

These two represent what I think are near perfect blade shapes. They can do anything that a wharnie can do while also being more versatile.

~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:These two represent what I think are near perfect blade shapes. They can do anything that a wharnie can do while also being more versatile.
*almost anything. I like my whancliffe's to have a straight edge. You can't get the entire edge of a knife flat to a surface unless the entire edge is flat. With a belly, contact will always be on a smaller part of the edge than with a straight edge that allows you to use the whole edge at once. In things like box opening, a belly means a more negative blade angle is required to engage the tip when cutting (Although the sliverax does have a pretty negative blade angle built into the ergos, so not really an issue there). Does this matter outside of SD knives like the Yo2, box opening, or for cutting on cutting boards...? Probably not, but there is a small difference. For the record though, I agree, those are very nice and versatile blade shapes there. That Sliverax is a good looking knife :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

[quote="ZrowsN1s"]
With a belly, contact will always be on a smaller part of the edge than with a straight edge that allows you to use the whole edge at once. /quote]

For that you also need a handle designed to allow the edge to make contact, as in chopping on a cutting board. I've done this with my Yojimbo 2 but you have to pinch grip the whole knife or your knuckles prevent the edge from reaching the surface, unless you're hand is out to the side of a counter top or something. For food prep I use a chef's knife that has a shallow belly and I like the rocking motion you get with it.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If you really need to do serious food prep, use a chef knife, preferably 10" - not a useless Santoku. If you insist on using the old pocket knife, or have no choice, have no fear. Here's a bit of wharncliffey encouragement.

https://youtu.be/2-3GTIJo1Gc
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

I believe the need for a belly on a warnie goes away when the warnie is serrated. I've used my serrated Delijazz quite a bit for all sorts of cutting chores. The teeth provide the single point contact (actually lotsa single point contacts) that a belly provides.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:..... For food prep I use a chef's knife that has a shallow belly and I like the rocking motion you get with it.
My main chef knife is like that too. The rocking/chopping technique works pretty good I must admit. My other favorite food prep knife though has a thin blade stock, a straight edge, and no tip. It looks like a chopper but it thin slices a tri-tip with ease.

sal

Post by sal »

Seems to me we have a HAP40 Delijazz warnie in-the-works, but it's plain edge only.

sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

sal wrote:Seems to me we have a HAP40 Delijazz warnie in-the-works, but it's plain edge only.

sal
Plain edge only is fine with me! HAP40 + Jazz Delica = winning combo! :D
-Nick :bug-red
Mora2013

Post by Mora2013 »

Ok. I’d like to see a 2 bladed knife like the dyad. One sheepfoot/wharncliffe in shape with a serrated edge and a leaf shaped plain edge blade.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Incredible. That's what I've been waiting for!
Going back to Caly.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I can't wait for the HAP 40 wharnie. Awesome news. I too, have been using my serrated version a lot. Cut an apple up yesterday.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

So I'm thinking about a Salt 2 Warnie. I'd like one for water sports. Interest?

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:So I'm thinking about a Salt 2 Warnie. I'd like one for water sports. Interest?

sal
I'm assuming it'll have a blade profile similar to the Delica wharnie?
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
sal wrote:So I'm thinking about a Salt 2 Warnie. I'd like one for water sports. Interest?

sal
I'm assuming it'll have a blade profile similar to the Delica wharnie?
I'd be interested for sure.

If it's the same blade shape as the Delica wharnie, would it stay full flat grind and use LC200N or might it switch to a hollow grind for H1?
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

HAP40, S30V and Salt versions of the Jazzelica! Outstanding!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

sal
Yes!!!
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!