Discontinued For 2018 - OFFICIAL List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Discontinued For 2018 - OFFICIAL List

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree!!! There seems to be a shift towards smaller knives though. All the Military sprints and exclusives are selling slow. The Jade M4 Para2 sold out in a day and the Jade M4 Military is moving very slow.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:...As far as being surprised that knives that knife afi's like get discontinued I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that after a couple of years the GB1 is still available from dealers. I sure thought everybody liked that knife and that has sort of made it clear to me that knife afi's are not all that representative of the market as a whole and that we may not influence as much as we think we do. A part of me thinks a lot of the knives on the list this year were knives for knife nuts sort of like the GB1.

One thing that continues to surprise me is how well Spyderco does at analyzing the market. While they do have their flops that go out on closeout for cheap and others that seem to sit around forever it is also impressive they they can produce the large number of models and large number of variations that they do without seeming to saturate the market. They appear to understand that part quite well. No other company seems to make the variety that they do! Amazing! In order to keep the variety coming you are gonna have to cull some models. Out with the old and in with the new!
I think you nailed it, Darby. They seem to have figured out how to produce just the right amount of "afi" knives to at least break even, meaning there are enough for the people who really want them (and there always seem to be enough for the secondary market gougers too) but not so many that it becomes unprofitable to make them, since obviously they keep making tons of new designs and have done so for a long time.

I really appreciate that Spyderco remains willing to take risks to keep innovating and supporting the enthusiast market when it seems like they could easily scale down and just focus on perennial "safe" bestsellers if they wanted to.
Tim
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

So, is the Slysz on sale anywhere as I need to hurry and grab a backup!?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Every time a new spyderco catalogue comes out, I think about trying to justify buying everything that's new...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
rivy

Post by rivy »

Flipping Addict wrote:So, is the Slysz on sale anywhere as I need to hurry and grab a backup!?
I'm still searching for a discount as well. :\
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

From what i've been told there will be no price drop on the Slysz because there is no problem selling out at current price.
My sourcce is/should be well informed, but then again he may be wrong. I see more and more dealers flagging them as out of stock and discontinued so i lost hope yesterday and ordered one at just south of $300..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I ordered one from Amazon a week ago, but it's been out of stock and backordered. I hope they really have more coming. They say they'll let me know, but I have a feeling that I missed it.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Dlt still has the slysz, at least 10 in stock last i checked. 299.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Demon85z wrote:Dlt still has the slysz, at least 10 in stock last i checked. 299.
Dang... pulled the trigger. :eek:

I was really hoping that the price would drop some more. :o But like Larry said, they are being listed as sold out at more and more dealers, and I highly doubt that azon will stock them up once more. dlt only charges $14 for shipment to Germany - that is very reasonable!

I looked and looked for better prices, and at the same time I read reviews and watched vids bout the Slysz and fell utterly in love with it - I would have hated myself missing this one out.

Now comes the wait......
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

By the way, and for the record: the wifey approved this purchase. :eek: She was not giving in easily though - I had to confirm in writing that I‘ll not hunt further spydies for the next few months (my birthday by end of April), and that I won‘t complain about her book purchases anymore (we‘ll see for how long :p ).

Oh, and I definately have to sell my Chaparral :( even though I really think it‘s a perfect home use EDC. My hope is that there may come Chap sprints with new/exotic steels at some point. Mr. Glesser...?!

You guys, feel free to post messages bout the greatness of the Slysz Bowie!! :D
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

archangel wrote:By the way, and for the record: the wifey approved this purchase. :eek: She was not giving in easily though - I had to confirm in writing that I‘ll not hunt further spydies for the next few months (my birthday by end of April), and that I won‘t complain about her book purchases anymore (we‘ll see for how long :p ).
There's no wonder that zee germans are ruled by women, starting from the very top :D
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Can't believe Slysz Bowie is gone as well, it's the nicest folder Spyderco had in it's inventory...

I'm trying to figure out why this massacre of high end folders/fixed blades: Nirvana, Slysz Bowie, Brad Southard, Mike Draper, Mamba, Southfork

All I can see common is that they are expensive and obviously they don't sell

So Spyderco is not doing quite well in the expensive folders/fixed blades area no matter how the fans are twisting the words in heir long complicated philosphical posts in order to explain this

It's probably more a matter of perception than the price, CRK(actually ARK) sells basic Sebenzas at 400+ and inlayed/damascus/graphics at higher figures and the CRK herd doesn't seem to have a problem with that

This might impact future models, I wonder how many nice expensive pieces we will see in the future, they will start downgrading the materials and fit & finish

I was wondering why Spydiechef was not done as nicely as the Bowie, now we have the answer, it had to be cheaper, they are talking about 8CrMov China made Phil Wilson Bow River

Waiting for the new catalogue, if I see a Swayback at a similar fit&finish as Slysz Bowie I forgive them :D

archangel

Post by archangel »

Picked up the Slysz Bowie from customs earlier today. I‘m happy. :)

It‘s by far my most expensive spydie. But it‘s worth it. My new home use EDC, which means that I‘m gonna carry it every single day. That‘s how perfect this beauty is. Ideal ergos, silky smooth action, sexy blade (shape and thickness), a winner through and through.
Michael
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

Gsg9 wrote:Can't believe Slysz Bowie is gone as well, it's the nicest folder Spyderco had in it's inventory...

I'm trying to figure out why this massacre of high end folders/fixed blades: Nirvana, Slysz Bowie, Brad Southard, Mike Draper, Mamba, Southfork

All I can see common is that they are expensive and obviously they don't sell

So Spyderco is not doing quite well in the expensive folders/fixed blades area no matter how the fans are twisting the words in heir long complicated philosphical posts in order to explain this
I agree with this sentiment. As much as I love Spyderco, I think they spend way too much time and resources developing high end collaborations for a very small niche and significantly over estimate the popularity of these collaborations for the majority of the knife buying community.

Yes, collaborations do expose Spyderco to a wider audience, but Spyderco's own in-house designs already seem to sell well on their own. Spyderco's willingness to constantly experiment with and improve steels and ergonomics have always been the brand's strong point over other companies. Collaborations (especially nowadays) should be lower on their list of priorities.
archangel

Post by archangel »

If I‘m really really lucky, I can strike one more time. Am currently trying to sell stuff to free some bound playing money. If by the time the auctions are over the desired :spyder: is still available (one week from now), i‘ll snag the third discontinued spydie...
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Tighe Stick is inbound. That‘s #3 of this year‘s discontinued models, following the Southard flipper and the Slysz bowie. Neither of them would have ever been affordable at regular MAP pricing. But at >60% off MSRP...

Gotta love the discontinued sales. I understand some of you are bummed, maybe even irritated that models like e.g. the Slysz bowie get stopped. But on the other hand, only this way some of us can suddenly afford them, and enjoy them.

I know I do.
Michael
rivy

Post by rivy »

archangel wrote:Tighe Stick is inbound. That‘s #3 of this year‘s discontinued models, following the Southard flipper and the Slysz bowie. Neither of them would have ever been affordable at regular MAP pricing. But at >60% off MSRP...

Gotta love the discontinued sales. I understand some of you are bummed, maybe even irritated that models like e.g. the Slysz bowie get stopped. But on the other hand, only this way some of us can suddenly afford them, and enjoy them.

I know I do.
Wish I could find a slysz Bowie at a discount tho!!
phils

Post by phils »

I have a Stretch 2 C90GBNPE2 that looks like it has been discontinued.
I have two questions:
1. What does the "S" and triangle design on the right side near the opening hole mean?

2. What does the "LO" on the end of the label mean?

Thanks very much for your help.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

phils wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:58 am
I have two questions:
1. What does the "S" and triangle design on the right side near the opening hole mean?

The s triangle is Sal Glessers makers mark.

The LO is the manufacturer date. First letter is month, second is year going by number of alphabet.
Last edited by Sjucaveman on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
phaust

Post by phaust »

phils wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:58 am
I have two questions:

I can answer 1~ it's S.G. for Sal Glesser. That's the logo for certain knives he's designed

Edit beat me :D
Last edited by phaust on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.