What Spydie would you grab in an emergency?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

What Spydie would you grab in an emergency?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So on this lazy Saturday I'm lounging around in my Bathrobe and Boxers (it's laundry day) when I notice the unmistakable smell of a fire, then I hear the sirens, they sound close by. Then I hear a helicopter, it sounds VERY close, so I get up and pull back the blinds, and see the helicopter is dropping water on a brush fire about 3 houses down from me.

Panic :eek:

Run to the dryer, grab clothes, get dressed quickly, grab my wallet keys and phone, put cat in 'cat carrier'... And then, I needed to grab a knife... So in my panicked rush, which Spyderco did I grab as I was running out the door to see what was going?

The lucky winner was the S110V PM2.

Everything turned out OK the helicopter knocked it down and the fire department got a handle on it quick. No homes were damaged. Thank You SD fire and rescue! :D
My question to my fellow forumites is this, what Spydie :spyder: or Spydies :spyder: :spyder: would you grab on your way out the door?

( I surprised myself by only grabbing one, I usually carry three but like I said I was a little panicked and I didn't have time to think about it :o )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mb1

Re: What Spydie would you grab in an emergency?

Post by mb1 »

Probably the 204P Millie.

But seriously, were you really wearing a bathrobe? Haha. Good story.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Ha! Great choice... Near perfect steel for all uses, in a near perfect knife for all uses.

Timbos with the bathrobe? :cool:

Edit: Well I already have a bunch of knives in my truck and I just found out how ridiculous when I looked:

Manix2 LW S90v
Manix2 LW S110v
Sage1
DF2
Kershaw Piston
Becker BK21

Plus an axe and a bunch of tools. But I'd be hard pressed not to grab a PM2 on the way out the door :D

Needless to say I cleaned out my truck (Manix2 S110v remains).
Last edited by abbazaba on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would probably grab some flavor of Military. My truck is filled with all kinds of stuff so it doesn't matter what I grab really. I camp a lot. I keep a Schempp Rock in the truck so I would have that too.

I would be that crazy guy setting up sprinklers all around the house and standing there with the hose waiting for the worst. :D I sometimes feel like I live in a rainforest so brush fires aren't too common here.

I am glad things got under control for ya!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Uh, I guess I wouldn't be thinking about what knife to get out of the house in a fire but there is a Millie clipped to the pants pocket on the chair... so that's what I would get as soon as I put on my pants...
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
bearfacedkiller

Abbazaba, nice pile in the truck. I love my BK21 but I don't keep it in the truck. I have a Kabar Parangatang, a Husqvarna hatchet, a Mora Companion and the Schempp Rock in there. I also keep a CRKT squid in the ash tray since I don't smoke. I keep the hatchet in the driver's door compartment. I figure it is a better glass breaker than all the carbide glass breakers out there. Plus, I am a campoholic.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'd probably die a fiery death because I couldn't decide which knife to grab or.....I'd look like a fool running out of the house with my whole knife box.

More seriously, I usually have at least one knife sitting on my desk so, providing I had enough time, I'd grab whatever that happens to be. Otherwise I'd just getting the heck out of the house.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I hate to say it, but as I don't have any rare Spyderco's they wouldn't be the first to be grabbed. Sure, time depending, I'd grab my slysz bowie (if it wasn't already in my pocket). But if it was a matter of saving knives, I'd have to save my two bark rivers (little carver and mini kalahari). I've got a pm2 and vic swiss tool in the car too, so I'd have those, at least.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

mb1 wrote:Probably the 204P Millie.

But seriously, were you really wearing a bathrobe? Haha. Good story.
Yep :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

Ladybug kind of cheats because it's attached to my keys.

Probably the Matriarch 2!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

abbazaba wrote:Ha! Great choice... Near perfect steel for all uses, in a near perfect knife for all uses.

Timbos with the bathrobe? :cool:

Edit: Well I already have a bunch of knives in my truck and I just found out how ridiculous when I looked:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Abbazaba, nice pile in the truck. I love my BK21 but I don't keep it in the truck. I have a Kabar Parangatang, a Husqvarna hatchet, a Mora Companion and the Schempp Rock in there. I also keep a CRKT squid in the ash tray since I don't smoke. I keep the hatchet in the driver's door compartment. I figure it is a better glass breaker than all the carbide glass breakers out there. Plus, I am a campoholic.
Yeah, I have a knife or two in the car as well. I used to have camping gear when I had a truck, less room these days so I'm not nearly as prepared as I used to be :o
Sharp Guy wrote:I'd probably die a fiery death because I couldn't decide which knife to grab or.....I'd look like a fool running out of the house with my whole knife box.

More seriously, I usually have at least one knife sitting on my desk so, providing I had enough time, I'd grab whatever that happens to be. Otherwise I'd just getting the heck out of the house.
knivesandbooks wrote:I hate to say it, but as I don't have any rare Spyderco's they wouldn't be the first to be grabbed. Sure, time depending, I'd grab my slysz bowie (if it wasn't already in my pocket). But if it was a matter of saving knives, I'd have to save my two bark rivers (little carver and mini kalahari). I've got a pm2 and vic swiss tool in the car too, so I'd have those, at least.
As for not taking the collection, taking the s110v was more about grabbing a knife to USE not to save. I still wasn't sure how bad the fire was, I needed to go upstairs and outside to the street to see what was going on (I live on the side of a steep hill), little scary for fires here there's only one way in and out of the house and there is the real possibility of being trapped downstairs by a fire upstairs. I could break a back window and jump but I'd probably break a leg or worse.... Anyways my first priority was my pants and shoes(the laundry is in the downstairs hallway), putting my cat in his carrier, and then grabbing phone keys and a knife. Once I had those I went upstairs with the cat, opened my front door took two steps and was greeted by a police officer who was blocking off the street, he told me they had it under control, so I went back inside and started looky looing from my balcony.

If the fire had been out of control and heading my way, I would have put the cat in the car and gone. If the fire was bad and it looked like I had a few minutes, I would have gone back downstairs for my musical instruments, hard drives, knives, photos, and clothes. As it was, before I realized what was happening they apparently had it under control. :D

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If it was an emergency, I wouldn't have much of a choice, would I?
bearfacedkiller

Yeah, stuff is just stuff, that is what insurance is for. Family and pets come first. If my wife, my son and my dog are all out and if I have time after that then I will start grabbing a few other things. I am glad you looked out for your cat first, I am an animal lover. I might have been trying to put twenty chickens in the back of my truck! I might end up homeless but at least I would have fresh eggs. :)
-Darby
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:If it was an emergency, I wouldn't have much of a choice, would I?
well yes and no. I keep all my spydies in 2 pellican cases. One of them was open. from that case I had a choice to grab an Emerson Karambit, M4 PM2, S110V PM2, S90V Yojimbo, S30V Yojimbo, P'Kal, Tasman, Hap40 Delica, Lc200N Native 5 lw, Maxmet Native lw, 40th anniv, or any flavor of dragonfly. In the moment I went with S110V PM2.

I should have taken more action shots but I didn't think to get my camera out until they were getting ready to leave.
Avocado tree blocks my southern view, that's why I couldn't see how bad the fire was from downstairs.

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Something I've never thought about but if it was bushfire season it'd be hot and if I was home I'd likely be wearing a sarong as I do without Reg Grundy's.

If I only grabbed knives off the coffee table, bookshelf and dresser in the kitchen on my way out there's no way I could carry them all with just two hands and I doubt beloved wife would help.

I reckon I'd be wishing I had more arms like that Indian God Vishnu or whatever his name is. Anyhow, I couldn't let my knives burn so I'd have to drop my serong, chuck my knives in the middle and carry them out like Santa Claus only naked.

Beloved wife would probably say I was embarrassing her and call me stupid names that I'd naturally deny and she might even stop talking to me for a bit. Either way it's got to be better than sitting around dressed watching my knives burn. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Bloke on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Rock or Rock Salt.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Folder? Probably my LionSpy. If I had to use it hard for some reason in the escape, I'd have a difficult time finding a stronger folder.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
attila

Post by attila »

At the moment it'd definitely be the S110V Manix LW since it's my most stainless, lowest maintenance, best edge-holding lightweight knife at the moment. I already carry it everywhere, so it's never far. And since I already carry it, I may grab something else, namely, my HAP40 Endura.

Along with the knife, I'd try to grab my Doublestuff to keep the knife sharp.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:I reckon I'd be wishing I had more arms like that Indian God Vishnu or whatever his name is. Anyhow, I couldn't let my knives burn so I'd have to drop my serong, chuck my knives in the middle and carry them out like Santa Claus only naked.
Lulz

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:If it was an emergency, I wouldn't have much of a choice, would I?
well yes and no. I keep all my spydies in 2 pellican cases. One of them was open. from that case I had a choice to grab an Emerson Karambit, M4 PM2, S110V PM2, S90V Yojimbo, S30V Yojimbo, P'Kal, Tasman, Hap40 Delica, Lc200N Native 5 lw, Maxmet Native lw, 40th anniv, or any flavor of dragonfly. In the moment I went with S110V PM2.
I dunno, if it was really urgent, I don't think you'll have time to think. You'd be lucky to have time to pick out one in a case.

If it was a fire or something, you'll be better served by taking your vital documents. A knife would be pretty much last on my list.

There's a few of us here who communicate pretty often about preps. We're not really preppers but a little might go a long way. A couple of us is in a critical area not really hit by disasters but had a nasty siege by islamists a couple years ago, I'm in an area where typhoons regularly pass(most of us in the Philippines are), we also had a strongish quake some years back with a subsequent tsunami warning, some live near faultlines and had a pretty disastrous earthquake some years ago too.

We have knives in bags and vehicles for sure, but the luxury of choosing which is knife is pretty much low on the priorities. If I'm dressed, it's pretty much the one in my pocket. If I'm not, it'll be the one I can reach fastest, that is, if I remember to grab a knife.