MT26P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Micro-Melt® A11 (PMA11)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

MT26P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Micro-Melt® A11 (PMA11)

Post by TazKristi »

MT26P will be available for sale on Monday, 07-Aug-2017 at 0900 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com. You will find it under model # MT26.

Cost: $69.95 each

Domestic Orders:
Domestic Shipping in the Continental United States: Standard Shipping rates apply.
Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico Shipping: USPS $15.00

International Orders:
International orders have a maximum allowed amount of $600 (including shipping fees) for all online orders. All orders over $600 must be placed via phone or e-mail and paid for via wire transfer. Shipment of orders paid for via wire transfer will not occur until monies have been received by the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store. You may contact our store to place a wire transfer order at sfo@spyderco.com or 303/279-8383 x 107.

International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $45
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $60

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About Micro-Melt A11 (PMA11):
Spyderco’s twenty-sixth Mule Team installment features Carpenter® Technology Corporation's Micro-Melt® A11, a particle metallurgy version of A11 tool steel. Also known as AISI A11, K294 (Böhler-Uddeholm), CPM® 10V (Crucible®), and PMA11 is an extremely wear-resistant tool steel that is capable of achieving a high working hardness. One of the world's premier steel choices for highly wear-resistant industrial tooling, in its CPM 10V form it is also one of the favorite steels of renowned custom knifemaker and Spyderco collaborator Phil Wilson.

PMA11's alloy composition is as follows: Carbon: 2.45%, Manganese: 0.50%, Silicon: 0.90%, Chromium: 5.30%, Molybdenum: 1.30%, Vanadium: 9.50%, Sulfur 0.08%. Its large volume of hard vanadium carbides provides substantially better wear-resistance than typical high-carbon, high-chromium die steels such as D2 and D7. In knife blades, this translates to outstanding edge retention and good toughness, especially in shorter knives. These properties are maximized through the particle metallurgy process, which greatly reduces alloy segregation and ensures a homogenous microstructure. Please note, however, that PMA11 is a tool steel and must be maintained properly to safeguard it against corrosion. PMA11 is an advanced alloy that offers excellent potential in high-performance cutlery applications.

Mule Team handle scales (MTGBK) and sheaths (MTLSH and MTSH) will also be available through SFO (sold separately).

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
mattman

Re: MT26P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Micro-Melt® A11 (PMA11)

Post by mattman »

Excellent.
This oughtta be interesting!
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Thank you Kristi, this is very happy and exciting news to me personally.
I, and I am sure several others, have specifically asked for a Mule in the A11 type steels. My own request recently in a letter to Sal was for the Bohler K294 Microclean, and I know Sal is going to have a chuckle when he reads this post. I very much appreciate being able to experience this enhanced performance tool steel for myself in this new Mule.

My sincere thanks to Sal and the Spyderco Crew for this personally special release of the PMA11 Mule Team 26. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very nice. This will be an interesting one for sure. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Sweet! My second mule will be this one
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Outstanding! ...and the price is great!

This will be a winner!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
archangel

Post by archangel »

So what's actually the difference to CPM 10V?

I own a K2, using 10V steel, and it's magnificent. So this new mule will be, too, for sure. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

archangel wrote:So what's actually the difference to CPM 10V?

I own a K2, using 10V steel, and it's magnificent. So this new mule will be, too, for sure. :)
According to Carpenter Steel's data sheet for CarTech Micro-Melt A11 Tool Steel:
"CarTech Micro-Melt A11 Tool Steel is equivalent in hardness, wear resistance and heat treating response to CPM 10V alloy."

CPM 10V made by Crucible Steel. Micro-Melt A11 made by Carpenter Steel. :)
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Good news! But do you have G10 handle other than black?
Thank a lot
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

elmeringalo wrote:Good news! But do you have G10 handle other than black?
Thank a lot
You may already know this, but Spyderco's handles are provided by Halpern Titanium. On their website they have quite a few other color and material options.
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Thanks elduderino04, I know and I've buyed several Halpern handles, but I'm in Spain and it's very good for me to buy in the same order the knives, handles and sheath (one to make miself and other with Halpern)
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

How would you guys with experience rate A11 steels toughness? Higher hardness so I assume not super tough like maybe M4. What do you guys think? Any issues with chipping or rolling edges?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

ZMW wrote:How would you guys with experience rate A11 steels toughness? Higher hardness so I assume not super tough like maybe M4. What do you guys think? Any issues with chipping or rolling edges?
Chipping and rolled edges with any steel pretty much depends upon how the blade is sharpened. About the first thing I do when I get a new knife is to put my own edge on it, and the construction of that edge will depend upon the work I expect that knife to do. Because of this I have never experienced a chipped or rolled edge on any of my knives no matter what the steel.

So, I guess I haven't answered the question or helped much, but I expect the A11 steel to be an outstanding tool steel for a blade.
I hope to see a lot more A11 offered in other knife models. I do know this is going to be one of my favorite Mules.
kelpie

Post by kelpie »

handles show out of stock ?? also not from the states and I would like to ship everything together if possible to save on freight.
kelpie

Post by kelpie »

scrub that, I'll make my own handle and instead purchase the iconic"" Spy-dk orange along side the mule :-).
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

There is always the chance that the handle option may be back in stock by the time MT26 is available to purchase on August 7th.
Still 10 days away and a lot can happen in 10 days. I hope they are available for all those who want them as they are a popular option.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

That should be interesting. :D

People should enjoy this one for sure. :) :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

corrosion resistance wasn't mentioned?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Quotation from the original post above by Kristi:
"Please note, however, that PMA11 is a tool steel and must be maintained properly to safeguard it against corrosion."

I trust this might answer questions concerning corrosion resistance.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ah, don't know how I missed that!