That thing you're not suppose to do ....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Midwest Diesel Tech

That thing you're not suppose to do ....

Post by Midwest Diesel Tech »

I did it. Completely disassembled my yojimbo 2 and matriarch 2. Got scales from cuscadi for yojimbo and wise men company for the matriarch. I know I voided my warranty by tearing everything apart. And tear apart is the accurate term. I didn't apply enough heat on the yojimbo hardware. That red locktite is a potent. I rounded the end of my torx and completely striped the hardware on the pivot.

I ordered the hardware for replacement. Not going to cook up a sob story of the dog eating my homework. I knew the risks and I gambled. I really hope the end results pay off once I get everything back together.
SG89

Re: That thing you're not suppose to do ....

Post by SG89 »

Been there and done that. With a Yo2 and PM2 stripped the **** out of some screws and lost some screws too. Ordered new screws and got them reassembled. Crazy how some people (not you) think it's spyderco's problem when they fug up their own knife.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The good news is that disassembly no longer voids your warranty.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Better news is, disassembly never did void the warranty.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Use a proper fitting Wiha torx bit. The cheap stuff out there turns out to be more expensive when you factor in your time and trouble, stripped screws, possible ruin scales (becuase you had to get the screws out somehow), etc. I've only encountered the red loctite once. I used a modelers heat gun to get the hardware hot. I then used the Wiha bit in a small wratchet for leverage. Screw came right out with barely a fuss.
Midwest Diesel Tech

on_the_edge wrote:Use a proper fitting Wiha torx bit. The cheap stuff out there turns out to be more expensive when you factor in your time and trouble, stripped screws, possible ruin scales (becuase you had to get the screws out somehow), etc. I've only encountered the red loctite once. I used a modelers heat gun to get the hardware hot. I then used the Wiha bit in a small wratchet for leverage. Screw came right out with barely a fuss.
Actually planned on picking up a wiha set today. Have a few things that came in from back order.There's a German tool supplier here in town. All my good tools are at work. Wera joker wrenches, and every size socket set standard and metric. A few screwdriver sets.bit sets. Lots of knipex pliers . But you are right. If I'm going to be handling stuff like this I need the right tool for the job. Thanks for the suggestion.
Midwest Diesel Tech

jpm2 wrote:Better news is, disassembly never did void the warranty.
Can't remember the source, but I did read somewhere about disassembly voiding the warranty. Either way if I bummed something up I wouldn't peg it on the manufacture.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Midwest Diesel Tech wrote:
Can't remember the source, but I did read somewhere about disassembly voiding the warranty. Either way if I bummed something up I wouldn't peg it on the manufacture.
The short story is that there was previously some miscommunication among management about the warranty policy, so we got conflicting info. Everyone is on the same page now, where disassembly doesn't void the warranty. Of course, any damage the end user might cause due to improper disassembly/reassembly is not covered.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Disassembly does not, on its own, void the warranty. It didn't before, but the policy was unclear and many thought that disassembly would void the warranty without any further considerations.

Damage caused by the user during disassembly does void the warranty.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
palonej

Post by palonej »

It's funny.......since I got Wiha torx drivers......I have not stripped one screw!!
Excellent tools make work much easier!
Joe
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

dplafoll wrote:Disassembly does not, on its own, void the warranty. It didn't before, but the policy was unclear and many thought that disassembly would void the warranty without any further considerations.

Damage caused by the user during disassembly does void the warranty.
This bears repeating.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I don't see anything that voids the warranty except "Repairs to your knife performed by any source other than Spyderco Inc."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Midwest Diesel Tech wrote:I did it. Completely disassembled my yojimbo 2 and matriarch 2. Got scales from cuscadi for yojimbo and wise men company for the matriarch. I know I voided my warranty by tearing everything apart. And tear apart is the accurate term. I didn't apply enough heat on the yojimbo hardware. That red locktite is a potent. I rounded the end of my torx and completely striped the hardware on the pivot.

I ordered the hardware for replacement. Not going to cook up a sob story of the dog eating my homework. I knew the risks and I gambled. I really hope the end results pay off once I get everything back together.
I feel bad the hardware got mangled during disassembly.... But I know you'll get it all back together once you get your replacement parts. What I really want to see is Pictures of those sweet new scales on the Yo2 and the wise men ring on that Matriarch :D When you get it all sorted out of course.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Midwest Diesel Tech

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Midwest Diesel Tech wrote:I did it. Completely disassembled my yojimbo 2 and matriarch 2. Got scales from cuscadi for yojimbo and wise men company for the matriarch. I know I voided my warranty by tearing everything apart. And tear apart is the accurate term. I didn't apply enough heat on the yojimbo hardware. That red locktite is a potent. I rounded the end of my torx and completely striped the hardware on the pivot.

I feel bad the hardware got mangled during disassembly.... But I know you'll get it all back together once you get your replacement parts. What I really want to see is Pictures of those sweet new scales on the Yo2 and the wise men ring on that Matriarch :D When you get it all sorted out of course.
I was going to ask how to post images. The wise men brass scales came in the mail today. Waiting on the hardware and I can finish the yojimbo 2. I also ordered different color hardware to see what it would look like. When everything arrives I will snap some pics and post.
Midwest Diesel Tech

[img][/
Test
Test
img]
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Midwest Diesel Tech wrote:Test
Your test image works. If you don't want to resize you can use a photo hosting site. I use this one https://postimages.org/
After you upload your image to the hosting site they will give you some links to your pic. Copy the direct link address.
Then come back here to the forum, open the editor and click the insert image icon(the one next to insert url link) and paste the direct link address there. like this: [img]image link goes here[/img} If you have any problems or questions about images don't hesitate to ask, took me a few weeks to figure it out when I started posting here, but my fellow forum members helped me figure it out.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

jabba359 wrote:
Midwest Diesel Tech wrote:
The short story is that there was previously some miscommunication among management about the warranty policy, so we got conflicting info. Everyone is on the same page now, where disassembly doesn't void the warranty. Of course, any damage the end user might cause due to improper disassembly/reassembly is not covered.

That's a very nice way to put it. It went on for years without spyderco correcting it and people were blasted for questioning it left and right and on several occasions were browbeaten by certain spyderco reps for saying otherwise. Then some good forum members made a stink about it and Sal set the record straight. A good thing he did, too. Some really good people were turning away from spyderco for allowing that misinformation to continue like it had been. It came down because people were getting bunk bearing washers and were being told by spyderco that the washers were fine and others decided to risk it and found issues themselves. Spyderco was basically backed into a corner and, imo, Sal made a very wise move and publicly addressed both issues and made a lot of people happy.

The reprimands by the spyderco reps for disassembling knives are quoted for posterity a couple of places. They were corrected and now spyderco has a much, much more reasonable public stance that's in line with their written warranty.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

jpm2 wrote:I don't see anything that voids the warranty except "Repairs to your knife performed by any source other than Spyderco Inc."
"Spyderco’s warranty does not cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening."
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Midwest Diesel Tech wrote:Test
Your test image works. If you don't want to resize you can use a photo hosting site. I use this one https://postimages.org/
After you upload your image to the hosting site they will give you some links to your pic. Copy the direct link address.
Then come back here to the forum, open the editor and click the insert image icon(the one next to insert url link) and paste the direct link address there. like this: [img]image link goes here[/img} If you have any problems or questions about images don't hesitate to ask, took me a few weeks to figure it out when I started posting here, but my fellow forum members helped me figure it out.
I also would put Flickr out there for photo hosting. That's what I use when I post my "New Models Dropped" threads, because they give you 1TB of free storage, 3rd-party linking, and you can resize the posted pic (but not the original) just by getting a different URL from the share widget.
Patrick LaFollette
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

dplafoll wrote:
jpm2 wrote:I don't see anything that voids the warranty except "Repairs to your knife performed by any source other than Spyderco Inc."
"Spyderco’s warranty does not cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening."
I guess there's still confusion.
Big difference in what voids a warranty vs what's not covered.