fun with semantics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

fun with semantics

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So we have the 'Para Military 2', which many simply call the 'Para 2'. You'd be forgiven for thinking the 'Para 3' is the third redesign of the 'Para Military', but no, the new 'Para 3' is supposed to be considered separate from the 'Para Military' line as the 'Para Military' is separate from the "Military" line. Hence being named 'Para' instead of 'Para Military'. But then there's that '3'... It's a reference to the three inch blade, and to emphasize not a PM2. Anyways I get the reasoning behind the name and have no complaints, but an amusing thought has occurred to me......

Will the next iteration CQI of the 'Para 3' be called the "'Para 3' 2" ?

...or the 'Para 4'?

...or...?

:D Fun with semantics :D

What should they call the next CQI version of the Para 3? :confused: :rolleyes: :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
VashHash

Re: fun with semantics

Post by VashHash »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Will the next iteration CQI of the 'Para 3' be called the "'Para 3' 2" ?
We can only hope spyderco manages to squeeze a 38" blade into the next para iteration. :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Para 3: The sequel
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Shoulda gone with Minuteman! It's so perfect! Grrr!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

VashHash wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:Will the next iteration CQI of the 'Para 3' be called the "'Para 3' 2" ?
We can only hope spyderco manages to squeeze a 38" blade into the next para iteration. :D
Ha. 3' 2", took me second.

I like "Para 3: The Sequel" and Minuteman. ;)

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
npad69

Post by npad69 »

PayneTrain wrote:Shoulda gone with Minuteman! It's so perfect! Grrr!
Yeah. I like the paramilitary 2's blade length. It should have been 2 different models like what a delica is to an endura
Reject

Post by Reject »

How about this:

How much can a Koala bear?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd love to see the para 2 scaled up.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm all in for larger blades with compression locks.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Son of Para 3...

It worked for Godzilla...

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It seems to me that the 3 is really a closer relative to the original. I don't see why it wasn't just called the Paramilitary with no number at all. It may have caused some confusion with the original but at least that one is out of production. Car companies do it all the time. Otherwise the current 2 should have originally been called a 3.5 and then this new one being a 3 would make sense and not confuse anyone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
laker_cj

Post by laker_cj »

VashHash wrote:
I think I laughed entirely to much at this.
My Owned :spyder: - Tasman Salt; Endura; Delica; Embassy; Tenacious; Kitchen Santoku; Yojimbo2; Pattada; SpyderPac; Para 3; Paramilitary 2; Ouroboros; Dragonfly; Squarehead; Ambitious; Ladybug; Kitchen Utility; Cricket; Rescue; Pingo; Native 5; Gayle Bradley Folder; Rubicon; Dice; Remote Release II; Manix; Moran Drop Point; Polestar; Ikuchi; Sliverax; Bow River; Szabo Folder
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Me too laker_cj, I was sitting there for a moment pondering, what does VashHash mean by a 38 inch blade? Delayed reaction laughs are the best.

I like "Son of Para 3", thank you for commenting Mr. Janich. :D

Reject and Evil D you have given me an idea. What about "The Para 3.1", then 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, ect. Or you could always go for "Para3" MkII, MkIII, MkIV, MkV, and so on?

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

How about "Para 3 Reloaded"?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Perhaps if it were the Para Military II, with the use of Roman numerals designating a successor/replacement. Then the Para 3 is a 3-inch knife, with the number resembling the numbers in the Caly3 and Caly3.5 by designating a blade length. So in that vein, we'd have to rename other knives: Delica IV, Endura IV, Dragonfly II, Native V, etc.
With the Sage series, they'd stay 1/2/3/4/5, since while they're not different SKUs like the others, they're not successor/replacements of the same knife really either. In fact you would then have the Sage 3 and Sage 3 II. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Michael Janich wrote:Son of Para 3...
if there is a son, who is the wife?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

dplafoll wrote:Perhaps if it were the Para Military II, with the use of Roman numerals designating a successor/replacement. Then the Para 3 is a 3-inch knife, with the number resembling the numbers in the Caly3 and Caly3.5 by designating a blade length. So in that vein, we'd have to rename other knives: Delica IV, Endura IV, Dragonfly II, Native V, etc.
With the Sage series, they'd stay 1/2/3/4/5, since while they're not different SKUs like the others, they're not successor/replacements of the same knife really either. In fact you would then have the Sage 3 and Sage 3 II. :p
Seems like a good solution :D

remnar

Post by remnar »

How about Para 3'. Read "Para three prime". The next iteration would then be the "Para three double prime" (Para 3'').

If not, then "son of Para 3" is cool. :)
Reject

Post by Reject »

How about the Para-Military F.
:D Para-military flipper.
How much can a Koala bear?
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Para Threequel. And if you had two extra safe queens do you know what type of maniago blade water hole they'd add up to? A spare pair a' para threequels equal squeak wells, thats how much.