The Yo_Fly a design idea

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

The Yo_Fly a design idea

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I had this crazy idea for merging two of my favorite Spyderco designs: The Dragonfly 2 and the Yojimbo 2.
Rather than write a big long spiel, I thought maybe it would be better if I took you through my thought process visually.
The design still needs a few tweeks, and this is strictly a first draft, but what do you think of the idea?
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Re: The Yo_Fly

Post by ZrowsN1s »

dfly.jpg
dflyYo2overlay.jpg
yoFlybladeGeometry.jpg

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Re: The Yo_Fly

Post by ZrowsN1s »

DFly_YoFly_Yojimbo2.jpg
Yo-Fly.jpg
dFly_yoFly.jpg

MattM68

Re: The Yo_Fly a design idea

Post by MattM68 »

Cool idea! I'm not a huge fan of lock backs, but I'd be interested in the design. I thought you were going to suggest a Yojimbo balisong when I read the title!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't change the handle at all, but the addition of the Yojombo thumb placement and wharnie blade would be awesome. I would put money down for that right now.

For the most part though, the Dfly blade hits a sweet spot between wharnie and belly, making just a bit more versatile than a true wharnie while still keeping the tip low like a wharnie. I wouldn't mind if the edge shape stayed the same, just shape the spine the same as you have it. Once I started using Filipino grip at work it really became one of my preferred ways to hold a knife, and I tend to favor models with lower thumb ramps like the Manix 2 that I can extend my thumb forward more and hold the same as a Yojombo 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

I like it! :D :spyder:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sounds good to me. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am far more interested in a Yojumbo than a smaller version. I would love one with a blade about 3.75 to 4 inches but that is just me. I like big knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

MattM68 wrote:Cool idea! I'm not a huge fan of lock backs, but I'd be interested in the design. I thought you were going to suggest a Yojimbo balisong when I read the title!
For the size of the knife I thought a lockback made the most sense, but I'm open to the idea of a compression lock (compression locks ARE my favorite after all). As far as Balisongs go, there's already one Michael Janich Spyderco we're not allowed to buy in the US, no need to make it 2 :D Seriously in a state I can carry a Tatanka in with no restrictions, why can't I have a Janisong? (more of a question for the state than spyderco).
Evil D wrote:I wouldn't change the handle at all, but the addition of the Yojombo thumb placement and wharnie blade would be awesome. I would put money down for that right now.
For the most part though, the Dfly blade hits a sweet spot between wharnie and belly, making just a bit more versatile than a true wharnie while still keeping the tip low like a wharnie. I wouldn't mind if the edge shape stayed the same, just shape the spine the same as you have it. Once I started using Filipino grip at work it really became one of my preferred ways to hold a knife, and I tend to favor models with lower thumb ramps like the Manix 2 that I can extend my thumb forward more and hold the same as a Yojombo 2.
I don't think the stock handle of the DFly will allow the yojimbo shape blade to close fully otherwise I would have left it alone (i like the Dfly handle shape a lot), I think if you straighten the belly you have to straighten the handle a little too, and as you said if you want a Filipino grip you're going to need to change the handle shape near the spine as well. I love the Dfly blade shape, but I really want a small knife with the yojimbo shape blade I can take out in public, I love my Yo2, but I can't take it out in a restaurant. Separate from that though, I would like to see the Janich "Yojimbo style" Filipino grip spine shape incorporated in more Spyderco designs. I day dream of a Fillipino Grip compression lock Matriarch 2.
remnar wrote:I like it! :D :spyder:
SpyderNut wrote:Sounds good to me. :)
thanks for the support! :D
bearfacedkiller wrote:I am far more interested in a Yojumbo than a smaller version. I would love one with a blade about 3.75 to 4 inches but that is just me. I like big knives.
A Yojimbo XL would be a beautiful and terrifying sight to behold.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It wouldn't be very hard to shorten a Yojombo 2 down to that size..
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Lulz thats a little bit more reprofiling than I want to do.

harronek

Post by harronek »

You could just buy a Delica Kahr which was designed by Mr Yojimbo himself . ( Michael Janich )

Ken
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

I would buy right now
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

harronek wrote:You could just buy a Delica Kahr which was designed by Mr Yojimbo himself . ( Michael Janich )
Ken
That is very close to what I'm after.... but not quite. Just need to make the handle a little smaller, straighten out that belly on the blade, make the spine a little thicker, and fill in the gap on the thumb ramp for filipino grip style like the Yojimbo. Thanks for the suggestion though :) It's not just a wharnclife shape I'm after, I really want the Exact blade shape and thumb ramp ergo's of the yojimbo (that's the entire point of the design, mini yojimbo). If I didn't care about recreating those ergos and geometry, wanted a sabre grip, and didn't care if it was slightly bigger than I wanted it to be, a Karr or a wharnclife delica could definitely work, it's just not what I'm after in this case.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Horizon wrote:I would buy right now
Glad you like the idea. thanks. I'm sure Spyderco's plate is full with new designs, but I can dream. If they ever made this knife I'd probably end up buying half a dozen like I did with the dragonfly. If you can't tell from my profile pic I'm a big DFly fan. The Dfly really is the perfect size knife for edc especially if you are prone to carry two knives like I do. And they make great gifts for people new to Spyderco. I've given away like 3 Dflys to friends and family in the last year.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Lulz thats a little bit more reprofiling than I want to do.
I still have my original Yojombo 2 that I first bought. It's sitting in the box completely taken apart doing me no good. Maybe I'll get the bench grinder out and see what I can come up with. I think I need some scale screws though.
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

We've had a few threads on D'flies with alternate blade configurations, but nothing has ever materialized. Wharnie version would be my first choice.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:We've had a few threads on D'flies with alternate blade configurations, but nothing has ever materialized. Wharnie version would be my first choice.
HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL!

But yeah, a wharnie would be nice too. I guess ;)
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:Lulz thats a little bit more reprofiling than I want to do.
I still have my original Yojombo 2 that I first bought. It's sitting in the box completely taken apart doing me no good. Maybe I'll get the bench grinder out and see what I can come up with. I think I need some scale screws though.
It would be cool to see what you can come up with.

araneae wrote:We've had a few threads on D'flies with alternate blade configurations, but nothing has ever materialized. Wharnie version would be my first choice.
Evil D wrote:....
HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL! HAWKBILL!

But yeah, a wharnie would be nice too. I guess ;)
Haha. Yes, if you look you can find an old thread of mine as well where I begged shamelessly for a hawkbill DFly. You are preaching to the choir. :D

this is what I carried for years before I bought my first Spyderco:
xdflyt.jpg

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
this is what I carried for years before I bought my first Spyderco:
xdflyt.jpg

Wow I kinda like that. Give it a thumb ramps and a thumb hole and H1 and I'd buy it.
~David