Website Updates

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rocky123

Website Updates

Post by Rocky123 »

It's nice that Spyderco wanted to update their website.

But, there is no reason why their tech department needed to leave FORTY PERCENT (40%) of the overall screen for THE HEADER WITH EMPTY SPACE !!!

There is too much scrolling and wasted header space.

Anyone else see that....!!??
bearfacedkiller

Re: Website Updates

Post by bearfacedkiller »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72444

We have all been having the same issue.

Welcome to the forum!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Looks great on my 25" monitor in portrait mode. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I sent them some screen shots because they said they could not reduplicate the problems we have been having. I hope it helps them resolve the problems.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rocky123

Post by Rocky123 »

---they said they could not reduplicate the problems we have been having.---

Sounds like it's the "same tech" person who designed it......THEY DON'T SEE ANY PROBLEM !!

WHICH IS EXACTLY WHY THERE IS THE PROBLEM !!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Rocky123 wrote:---they said they could not reduplicate the problems we have been having.---

Sounds like it's the "same tech" person who designed it......THEY DON'T SEE ANY PROBLEM !!

WHICH IS EXACTLY WHY THERE IS THE PROBLEM !!
I suspect a large part of the problem is the plethora of devices, operating systems, and browsers a website is expected to work flawlessly on these days and further exacerbated by the quirks of each of the different languages that now get layered on top of HTML. Was bad enough back when you had Netscape and IE rendering some HTML code differently.
Paul
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I can't imagine how they "don't see the problem". The usable space to view the knives is about a 3" slice of the screen on my Macbook. The header takes up another 2". If I shrink the size of the overall web page (zoom out) I can get the header to be a reasonable 1" tall but the text on the rest of the page is tiny.

Here's what it looks like at a normal viewing zoom level that fits the forum and all other websites...TOO much header.

Same zoom level looking at a product page.

Also, when looking at a product, if I scroll down the text in the header shrinks but the size of the header doesn't. It doesn't make sense that the text gets smaller but still takes the same percentage of the screen. The entire header should shrink to 50% or 25% at that point.

When the text shrinks while scrolling the product jumps up as well. When I am viewing at a zoom level that makes the forum page fit my screen side-to-side (my normal setting) I cannot see a complete knife on the website. I can see the top portion of a knife, then when I scroll down the knife jumps up (when the header text shrinks) and I instantly see the bottom portion of the knife.

The instant I start to scroll it jumps to this view (shrunken header text only and the knife jumped up)

I cannot scroll to any point where I can see a complete knife unless I zoom out on my computer....then I have to zoom back in when I go back to the forum or any other website. This didn't happen with Spyderco's old site....or any other site I've been to for that matter.

It looks fine if I zoom out...although frankly the header is still unnecessarily large in relation to the product I'm there to view.

But....at this "zoomed out" level this is what the forum and other websites look like..

The way I normally view the forum, looks like this..and although the forum header is gigantic as well, it's not an issue because it scrolls out of the way like it should.

This is the size I think the header should be..which still leaves room to increase the logo and pull down menu font sizes.

But, if I zoom out that much...here's what the forum and all other websites would look like..

I hope this helps the IT person see the issue.
Last edited by Xplorer on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

On my PC using chrome it isn't too bad although watching the header continuously resize is annoying. At least it isn't taking up the whole page.

On my phone and on my Ipad using safari it is basically non functional. The header is eating up 40% of the page and doing the wonky resizing and stuff.

That is just on the website. I am not having any trouble on the forum but the billboard size header may be overkill.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
archangel

Post by archangel »

@xplorer: thanks alot, that should indeed be very helpful.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

So, is anything being done to correct this problem?
In the meantime, is there a link to the old web site?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Rocky123

Post by Rocky123 »

Xplorer wrote:I can't imagine how they "don't see the problem". The usable space to view the knives is about a 3" slice of the screen on my Macbook. The header takes up another 2". If I shrink the size of the overall web page (zoom out) I can get the header to be a reasonable 1" tall but the text on the rest of the page is tiny.

Here's what it looks like at a normal viewing zoom level that fits the forum and all other websites...TOO much header.

Same zoom level looking at a product page.

Also, when looking at a product, if I scroll down the text in the header shrinks but the size of the header doesn't. It doesn't make sense that the text gets smaller but still takes the same percentage of the screen. The entire header should shrink to 50% or 25% at that point.

When the text shrinks while scrolling the product jumps up as well. When I am viewing at a zoom level that makes the forum page fit my screen side-to-side (my normal setting) I cannot see a complete knife on the website. I can see the top portion of a knife, then when I scroll down the knife jumps up (when the header text shrinks) and I instantly see the bottom portion of the knife.

The instant I start to scroll it jumps to this view (shrunken header text only and the knife jumped up)

I cannot scroll to any point where I can see a complete knife unless I zoom out on my computer....then I have to zoom back in when I go back to the forum or any other website. This didn't happen with Spyderco's old site....or any other site I've been to for that matter.

It looks fine if I zoom out...although frankly the header is still unnecessarily large in relation to the product I'm there to view.

But....at this "zoomed out" level this is what the forum and other websites look like..

The way I normally view the forum, looks like this..and although the forum header is gigantic as well, it's not an issue because it scrolls out of the way like it should.

This is the size I think the header should be..which still leaves room to increase the logo and pull down menu font sizes.

But, if I zoom out that much...here's what the forum and all other websites would look like..

I hope this helps the IT person see the issue.
I agree totally....somehow Kristi doesn't understand !!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think a few more enormous pic quotes and a few dozen more exclamation points should do the trick ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:I think a few more enormous pic quotes and a few dozen more exclamation points should do the trick ;)
Ya think?

And, for the record, it still looks great on my 25" monitor in portrait mode. ;) :D

How did it come to be that most monitors are landscape? Holdover from the spreadsheet era? Has anyone ever built a horizontally scrolling web page of fixed height? Can it even be done?
Paul
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Evil D wrote:I think a few more enormous pic quotes and a few dozen more exclamation points should do the trick ;)
Ya think?

And, for the record, it still looks great on my 25" monitor in portrait mode. ;) :D

How did it come to be that most monitors are landscape? Holdover from the spreadsheet era? Has anyone ever built a horizontally scrolling web page of fixed height? Can it even be done?
I dunno. I think it has to do with film format but the same question can be asked about that. All I know is it's definitely far better for gaming lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

It looks like when you screen or browser window gets less than 1024 pixels wide, all of the social media links move down to left justified and the header gets a bit larger.

With that narrow of a screen, it looks pretty big.

There aren't many phones out there with a short/across dimension larger than 1024 pixels. I don't know if mobile browsers follow the same rules as desktop browsers, usually they don't. I'll have to test some of my screens and see how they look.

*edit* Actually, a lot of phones are 1080x1920 in portrait. That should be big enough to make it pretty reasonably sized.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Here is what we need. The portrait style CPT Phoenix Graphics monitor.
Except it was for word processing and as I recall it was only black and white.
Don't know which way it scrolled. For some reason, it didn't catch on.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.