A Little Nirvana(pic-heavy)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

A Little Nirvana(pic-heavy)

Post by dplafoll »

Nirvana is shipping. I handled this one at Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL today.
(new thread due to large pics)
This knife is immaculate and beautiful. It feels a little better somehow than the prototype I handled at Blade. The bearings make this thing super smooth, and it rockets open. The only complaint is that the lock is VERY sticky. Obviously it'll break in, and I wouldn't have put an insert on this one either, but a couple of times I had to use two hands to unlock it. If I had the money, though, I wouldn't even consider letting that stop me.
Absolutely a home run piece.

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Cujobob

Re: A Little Nirvana(pic-heavy)

Post by Cujobob »

Great shots, looks like a very nice piece. I'm a little on the fence right now.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for the pics, they really are appreciated. This is my most anticipated knife of the year and as such the only debate I'm having is which knife to sell to help fund it.

Was it comfortable in the various grips?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Not my cup of tea but I would be very interested in a Peter Rassenti Druid.
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

Nice! How does it feel in hand?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Marty_E wrote:Nice! How does it feel in hand?
Liquid Cobra wrote:Thanks for the pics, they really are appreciated. This is my most anticipated knife of the year and as such the only debate I'm having is which knife to sell to help fund it.

Was it comfortable in the various grips?
The knife was very comfortable in the hand. The blade shape is great, the edge is super sharp as far as I could tell, and there are multiple comfortable ways to hold it. The hand naturally falls into a grip where the right index finger wraps around into the large groove machined into the show side. I wouldn't expect to do really fine work with this knife, so that grip seems like it would work for most tasks. However, if you want, you can easily choke up with the index finger right up to the edge of the front of the handle and wrapping around the machined out section right below the pivot screw. The jimping on the top is really nice, and the blade's spine is nicely rounded, though not overly so. The machining on the handle and the size of the handle is very nice in filling your hand but isn't overly beefy in any way.
If I were ever tempted to use the knife, I'd say it would be a very useful knife.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thank you for the pics.
Thats one more nice B+M store.
Besides the Nirvana I see a Mamba and a Tighe Stick...
Btw, not tryin to get off track or jack the thread but have you held the Tighe Stick? If so what are your thoughts?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Great pics man thanks, I pre-ordered one of these from KW's many moons ago, wonder when these will start shipping. How many did your guy have in stock?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Does anyone know what makes the cutouts appear white? Is it anodized or painted in somehow? Or is it not actually white, but just reflective from being cut out?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I figure that is the last step and the mill cuts down to fresh Ti
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

WireEdge Roger wrote:I figure that is the last step and the mill cuts down to fresh Ti
I think so too, if you look close at some of the pics I'm pretty sure you can see the slight indentation in the lines.

Nice looking knife.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It looks like a high quality piece, but not my kind of thing.

Does the blade has some kind of DLC coating on it?

It looks like a large blade, how heavy is it?

EDIT: to answer my own questions, 3.76 inch (96mm) blade length, 4mm blade stock, stonewashed blade, 4.8 oz (136 g)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Yeah, not for me either. If was satin blade and about $100 cheaper, I would bite. love the look of the handle though.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

That's proper filthy.....I love it.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

MacLaren wrote:Thank you for the pics.
Thats one more nice B+M store.
Besides the Nirvana I see a Mamba and a Tighe Stick...
Btw, not tryin to get off track or jack the thread but have you held the Tighe Stick? If so what are your thoughts?
I have. It's very nicely made, it feels pretty good, and I'd never have any use for it. :p And yeah, they have a spectacular selection. I've bought 7 Spyderco knives, and 5 of them came from there: the last 4 on my signature list, and a Cricket tattoo for the wife. I also have a Ladybug Salt Hawkbill but that was a recent gift.
farnorthdan wrote:Great pics man thanks, I pre-ordered one of these from KW's many moons ago, wonder when these will start shipping. How many did your guy have in stock?
The store is Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL. They are a relatively large Spyderco dealer, so they get two of everything(and I mean everything) by default. So as of those pics yesterday at lunch, they had two of these. I can't guarantee they're still there though.
Brock O Lee wrote:It looks like a high quality piece, but not my kind of thing.

Does the blade has some kind of DLC coating on it?

It looks like a large blade, how heavy is it?

EDIT: to answer my own questions, 3.76 inch (96mm) blade length, 4mm blade stock, stonewashed blade, 4.8 oz (136 g)
It doesn't feel heavy for the size. The blade seems to just be stonewashed, and it matches the handles beautifully.
Spideyhole wrote:Yeah, not for me either. If was satin blade and about $100 cheaper, I would bite. love the look of the handle though.
YMMV but I think the stonewash on the blade really works with the handle color.
zhyla wrote:
WireEdge Roger wrote:I figure that is the last step and the mill cuts down to fresh Ti
I think so too, if you look close at some of the pics I'm pretty sure you can see the slight indentation in the lines.

Nice looking knife.
I'd say that's true. I spoke to Eric G at Blade about this one, and he described how it has to be machined several times. I think it was they shape the handle, cut out the handle and the lockbar, put it through the stonewash, then back to the machining to get the lines. I don't think they anodize or anything, just cut into fresh Ti.
Patrick LaFollette
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

dplafoll wrote: Image
Looks like a step on the blade where the framelock engages instead of an arc shape.
swigert

Post by swigert »

shunsui wrote:
dplafoll wrote: Image
Looks like a step on the blade where the framelock engages instead of an arc shape.
interested to see more detailed pics of this....
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/IR6S_HHuoM0
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

dplafoll wrote:
It doesn't feel heavy for the size. The blade seems to just be stonewashed, and it matches the handles beautifully.

First of all thanks for the report! Very nice accomplishment by Spyderco, for a hefty yet classy 4mm bladed folder.

Is the blade in fact stone washed? It was mentioned in the Amsterdam video, the blade is bead blasted to match the (bead blasted) handle, and it *looks* as such in some pics.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

roger-roger wrote:
dplafoll wrote:

First of all thanks for the report! Very nice accomplishment by Spyderco, for a hefty yet classy 4mm bladed folder.

Is the blade in fact stone washed? It was mentioned in the Amsterdam video, the blade is bead blasted to match the (bead blasted) handle, and it *looks* as such in some pics.
The product guide says "...and stonewashed to match the handle.", and it says the handle "...is then matte finished..."
Patrick LaFollette