Flaring the Tang to Ease Over the Detent Ball

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Flaring the Tang to Ease Over the Detent Ball

Post by Mad Mac »

Maybe I'm the only one who notices, but after years of smooth operating back locks, the "two-stage" liner lock feels like hitting a curb stop in a Cadillac. Here is what I mean by "two-stage".

When a liner lock knife is open, to close it the spring is pushed back to clear the tang. Once the knife begins to close, the tang then engages the ball on the spring (the one that will hold the knife closed by means of a detent in the tang). Force can be applied to the blade to override the ball or the spring can be pushed again to allow the tang to clear the ball or the spring can be held down from the beginning until the tang clears the ball. Here is my solution.

A tiny flare or partial chamfer the height of the detent ball, should be machined into the edge of the tang so that the tang can effortlessly ride over the ball on closing. This would not interfere with the lock because the spring engages the lower part of the tang to lock it and the detent ball interference involves the upper part of the tang.

Am I being ridiculous? Would anyone pay an extra few dollars for this feature? Should I apply for a patent?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Flaring the Tang to Ease Over the Detent Ball

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Para2 has this feature.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep this has been done on several models and wouldn't be hard at all to do with a Dremel. You could even grind the tang into a smooth ramp that the ball could slide up on and you wouldn't feel the impact at all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I use the ball/curb stop to help close the knife. I push the liner over with my thumb to unlock the knife, then I use my index finger on the back of the blade to slowly move it the until I feel it stop against the ball, then I give the back of the blade a light tap with my index finger and the blade flies closed. Just make sure your fingers are out of the way! I do this with my Sage 1, Sage 2, and Persistence. Yes, if there was a smoother transition over the ball maybe I wouldn't have to do the first step and move the blade until it stops against the ball but I think that pressure against the ball is what helps to close the knife so easily.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

To the best of my knowledge, the Para 2 and other Military models are compression locks with which I am not familiar. A little Googling, however, indicates that there seem to be issues with the detent ball and tang interference for that model as well.

The Mad Mac Flare might help with compression locks but my original intent was aimed at conventional liner locks. Can anyone provide a citation or image for a solution like I described? Googling is unable to provide one for me.

Yes, this is a modification that individuals could do. However, great care should be exercised so as not to inadvertently chamfer the locking portion of the tang as serious injury could result from the liner overriding the tang and the lock failing suddenly. Make the modification at your own risk.

To help visualize the Mad Mac Flare, below is a photo of a lowered and flared ejection port on a pistol. The flare is the scooped out portion on the left of the port. The Mad Mac Flare would be tiny, a tenth of an inch or less, and would be on the edge of the tang that engages the detent ball.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
bearfacedkiller

The Para2 did not have the ramp originally and it was added later to address the issue. I believe people were actually damaging, wearing or losing the ball. I cannot remember what exactly was the problem but it was more than just the feel of the lock that caused the change.

It would be the same on a Comp lock or a liner lock but just be in a different spot.

Here is a pic I stole that shows the Para2 ramp. Your Mad Mac flare has been done already unless I am misunderstanding you. If you don't have one on a knife and want to add it it should be easy enough with a brown sharpmaker rod's corner. The ball should leave a mark showing right where to put the notch. It should be an easy mod. It would just depend on where the detent ball is in relation to the lock interface on a liner lock. It may work better on some than on others.
IMG_20140324_150135_zpso5nksuuc.jpg
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Here is a thread with a few more pics of the ramp that I found with a quick google search.

viewtopic.php?t=57217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Darby
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

This was my first attempt at disassembling and reassembling a Spyder and my first mod. For the project, I selected two Tenacious Value Folders I have, providing a folder inexpensive enough to risk ruining and a "control" knife for comparison. My full SE I need for work cutting netting off round bales so the CE became my expendable "test mule".

As suggested by the bearfacedkiller, I used the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker medium stone to shape the flare, basically an elongated, rounded notch. The fine stone and ultra-fine stones I used to smooth it up more.

Positioning the tang with the center of the pivot hole over the edge of a block (a large paperback book) and the edge of the tang that engages the detent ball also on the edge, I held the Tri-Angle stone perpendicular to the block edge so as to engage the arc of the detent ball track at a tangent.

After several trials, I stopped. The verdict is that it made a difference. The hard stop is now much softer, still noticeable to me because I was feeling for it, but much softer. A longer flare would provide an even more gradual transition but I'm satisfied that the idea will work.

Will I do the flare mod to my other knives? Probably not, but then I am famous for having a very low energy level. It was fun, though, to see if the idea would work. Your mileage may vary.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Thank you, bearfacedkiller.