I've realized I don't like choils.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

I've realized I don't like choils.

Post by vivi »

I never use them on my knives that have them. If I want tip control, I put my index finger on the spine of the knife and choke up on the handle with the rest of my hand. Don't need a choil for that. I find when I use the choil it tends to limit how much of the cutting edge I can use, because if I cut materials close to the ricasso while using the choil my hand gets in the way.

I prefer designs like the Lil Temp, Street Beat, Resilience, Pacific Salt etc., that get your hand pretty close to the cutting edge with a regular grip.

I won't avoid a knife because it has a choil (Millie and Para 2's are among my favorites). But it doesn't add anything to the knife for me.

Anyone else?
harronek

Re: I've realized I don't like choils.

Post by harronek »

I agree with you .
I even went as far as removing the finger - Choil lump on the scales of my Caly 3.5
Exaggerated choils limit the way you can comfortably hold the knife , and don't give you many other hold options .
I'm not not saying Choils are bad , they just arent for me I'm afraid .

Ken
remnar

Post by remnar »

I love me some choil! :eek:

Different strokes... :D :spyder:
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

My PM2 gets more use than any other knife, but I never put my finger on the choil. I don't mind it being there, but I would use more cutting edge, if it had it in lieu of the choil. The knives with smaller handles that don't allow me to get a full grip behind the choil don't settle well with me. But then, I have been looking at the Kiwi 4 lately...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

remnar wrote:I love me some choil! :eek:

Different strokes... :D :spyder:
This^
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

Vivi wrote:I never use them on my knives that have them. If I want tip control, I put my index finger on the spine of the knife and choke up on the handle with the rest of my hand. Don't need a choil for that. I find when I use the choil it tends to limit how much of the cutting edge I can use, because if I cut materials close to the ricasso while using the choil my hand gets in the way.

I prefer designs like the Lil Temp, Street Beat, Resilience, Pacific Salt etc., that get your hand pretty close to the cutting edge with a regular grip.

I won't avoid a knife because it has a choil (Millie and Para 2's are among my favorites). But it doesn't add anything to the knife for me.

Anyone else?
On folders, yes, that's one reason why I love the Endura.

All choirs aren't made equal though. I hate the Stretch's choil but find the Manix's to be useful.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer not to have choils on most knives and would rather have more real estate on the blade. I like a guard to protect my precious fingers, as found on the Delica, Manbug, and etc.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

It's good Sal and Eric produce a range that encompasses both choil'd and un-choil'd folders, so we get to choose.

Me- I find those knives with a choil I couldn't imagine not having it....and those without a choil I wouldn't want with one. :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

demoncase wrote:It's good Sal and Eric produce a range that encompasses both choil'd and un-choil'd folders, so we get to choose.

Me- I find those knives with a choil I couldn't imagine not having it....and those without a choil I wouldn't want with one. :)
;) :) Nicely said !
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like them. I also like many knives that do not have choils. If I were designing a knife from scratch I would probably include a finger choil but it's not really a defining factor for me of whether I like an existing design or not.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Depends. On the millie and para I really like the choil for fine cutting with a little pressure. On the endura, I don't like the choil....wait, endura doesn't have a choil, does it?

I do find the humungous choil on the manix 2 extraneous and merely reduces useable edge length.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Like them very much, an important reason for me to use very little but Spydies.
I was also very disappointed to see that the new Gayle Bradley folder lost the choil, I love the original but it's just too heavy for me and now the new one will be choilless.. At least there's well choiled PM2's on the way in M4 now. :)

Btw, on fixed blades I like a choil/guard sort of combination mainly on small blades like a lot of the Perrin designs but my favorite big blade (7,5") is perfect without a choil.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They are better executed on some knives than on others. On some knives I love them and on others I do not. I find them useful on very large knives like the Military and also love how the Military's choil more subtly blended into the design. Perfect!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Choil work on some knives, PM2 and Mill and Tuff, and really ruin the knife on others, cough...Superleaf...cough. I think it all comes down to where the balance is. Superleaf choil is not only unnecessary it is right in the sweet spot cutting wise. I like the choil on the C3.5
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm the opposite. Pretty much every Spyderco I carry has two features, a midlock and a 50/50 choil.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Depends. On the millie and para I really like the choil for fine cutting with a little pressure. On the endura, I don't like the choil....wait, endura doesn't have a choil, does it?

I do find the humungous choil on the manix 2 extraneous and merely reduces useable edge length.
^^^That
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I don't like choils either. Or guards.

Gordon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like them because they give you a second grip option, but I also prefer a handle design that doesn't need a choil to locate the index finger (safely) close to the edge.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Depends on the design. Some designs benefit from having a choil--others not so much. For this reason, I have my favorites in both the "choiled" and "non-choiled" crowds. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Ed Fowler is probably one of the biggest choil advocates, he puts them on even small knives. If you really don't like choils at all you might consider reading/looking at what he as written as he has a pretty different perspective.