2016 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

2016 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by TazKristi »

The Contest
Enter the 2016 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest today! We are again making a 12-month wall calendar using images created by you, our forum members (this will be our 5th year). A total of 13 images will be chosen - one image to represent every month and one grand prize ‘Best of the Best’ winner to be used as the calendar’s cover image.

The Prizes:
The grand prize winner will receive a C187CFP, Spyderco Rubicon and have their photo featured on the cover of the calendar.

Artists who have their images chosen to represent a specific calendar month (a total of 12) will each receive a C193TIP, Squarehead Folder.

Contest Dates:
Contest starts today, 15-Jul-2015 and ends at 1600MDT Wednesday, 09-Sep-2015.
Winners will be selected by Spyderco and will be posted on the forum by Wednesday, 30-Sep-2015.

Please read all of the submission requirements before posting.

Submission Requirements:
1) Please include a 2-5 sentence (max) description of your entry - why you chose the product(s) featured, the history of the image, etc.; something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

2) Entry must include a Spyderco product(s). Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Product can be in mint condition, used and abused, or radically modified. Your submission can be seasonal, retro, traditional, artistic, black and white, color, sepia, comedic or serious. Set your imagination loose, we want to see it all (so long as it’s family-friendly).

3) Entries must be in a digital format, but they can start from photographs, drawings, paintings, watercolors, digital creations, you name it. If it can be submitted digitally and printed, it’s fair game.

4) You must include the model name of the product(s) used in the image and your Forum name. Model name and Forum name do not necessarily need to be a part of the image, but it must be included with your submission. Please place them both immediately under your image description so we can keep all information with the correct image submission.

5) Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must edit your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions at the end date of the contest will invalidate all of your submissions.

Formatting:
(IMPORTANT) The Spyderco 2016 Calendar will be printed in an 8 ½” by 11” landscape format. Only landscape formatted images will be considered and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. All portrait formatted images will be disqualified.

Final Printed Image Guidelines (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM – Images should be no smaller than this):
Width: 3450 px
Height: 2700 px
Resolution: 300
(This translates to 11.5” x 9” to account for a ¼ inch bleed)
Image must be available in high resolution at 300dpi at end of contest.

Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
Width: 960px;
Resolution: 72;

Submitting Your Image:
In order to be considered, post your image to this thread. It is not necessary or recommended that you post a 300dpi image to our Forums. Keeping up with web standards, a 72dpi image preview that does not exceed 960px in width for the forum will be just fine. You may use Photobucket or any similar photo sharing site to provide a link to your image so long as all other requirements are met within your post.

When we announce the winners, we will also announce how to submit your hi-res image. We are unable to use the image posted to the forum for print quality reasons. If you cannot supply the image at the end of the contest, your winning submission will be forfeited.

*You must keep the hi-res file of your image saved locally until the winners have been announced in order to qualify should something happen.

Content Restrictions:
• The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright).
• Your submission must be entirely original and created by you.
• Images may not contain any kind of promotional material - this includes trademarks and logos for non-Spyderco businesses, even those for your own personal endeavors.
• Only family-friendly, G-rated and tasteful submissions will be considered. If it’s salacious, offensive or anything the Disney Channel would reject, so will we.

NOTE: If you upload an image that we feel might violate our content restrictions, we will do our best to contact you and let you know that your image might be disqualified prior to the end of the contest. However, we cannot guarantee this so be sure to meet all requirements and review the content restrictions carefully prior to posting.

Eligibility:
• The 2016 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to everyone. If the artist is under the age of 13, the artwork must be submitted by their legal guardian.
• Prizes will be shipped only to adults over 18 or to those who provide written parental consent.
• Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win. This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.

Winning images become the exclusive property of Spyderco, Inc. By posting your photo in this thread, user grants unencumbered, free usage and printing use solely to Spyderco, Inc.
**Calendars will be available for purchase this autumn through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store**
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Nick Herrera

Re: 2016 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by Nick Herrera »

I can't wait to finally enter this. I missed the deadline by a few days last year and have been waiting ever since!!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thanks Kristi for the competition :)

Luckily we have the weekly photo contest to help us practice and get the best shots :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Wonderful news thanks Kristi!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Haha! This is great! I mentioned to my wife just last week that I wondered if we'd have a Calendar Contest this year. ;) Thanks for the good news, Kristi!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Awesome!! Been trying to come up with some ideas since last year's contest. Good luck everyone!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My favorite time of year! Thanks for the heads up and hopefully my ideas come together. I've been mulling this one over for a long time.
remnar

Post by remnar »

My camera just went T U. Now I'll need to buy a new one. Thanks for the opportunity to be part of the calendar and to represent a great company. :)
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Good luck everyone!
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

Thanks for the contest. I certainly will take part. Good luck everyone!
kosta

Post by kosta »

Good news. Thanks.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thanks for doing this again. The prizes are unnecessary and very generous. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Incredible news, I've been looking forward to this contest! I never knew there were prizes either, I just assumed getting chosen to be in the calendar was enough of a prize. So that pretty much blew my mind and got me wicked excited to start shooting for that perfect calendar shot! Thank you for the opportunity Spyderco, and good luck shooting, everyone!
-Nick :bug-red
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I have been looking forward to this since last year's contest; can't wait to make and pick out a favorite to submit! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for doing this every year kristi!

Now to try to wake up the inspiration muse :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Go on I'll go first :)
Demoncase- (Jonathan Lopez) C08S Harpy

My Harpy on Holiday on the Menai Straights, under Brittania Bridge, Wales, UK.
I was fishing with my lady-wife and the Harpy came along as it's the perfect on-the-water blade, then couldn't help notice the late September light under the bridge matched the arc of the spine perfectly.
The Bridge has been in use since 1850 to get across the narrow but deadly strait from the UK mainland to the sunny isle of Anglesey.
A chance photo that came out far better than I might have hoped, because I certainly didn't catch anything else that day!
Last edited by demoncase on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Allow me to be the first to say: Nicely done, DC! :D Beautiful shot--and well worthy of the calendar.

As for me, I think I'm just going to hire GoldenSpydie to take a nice pic for me for the contest. ;) :)

(Jk, of course).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ah, awesome pic! It kills me though, because if I can't get anything good in the next month, I was going to fall back on a Harpy pic and I don't wanna compete with that! You've got a beautiful country, and you've done it justice here. Good luck!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
swigert

Post by swigert »

Here is my place holder. I may change the pic, but I will also edit this post to add the required description when I find a pic to stick with.
NinjaRyder0920

Post by NinjaRyder0920 »

NinjaRyder0920 - PPT Sprint Run C135GBBK

I wanted to capture something that encased two of my hobbies, knives and motorcycles. I like to think that both share similar refinements, precision and craft. Additionally, I have always appreciated the collaborative pieces that Spyderco has been able to release to us, providing a touch of the custom experience.
Last edited by NinjaRyder0920 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.