S90V and Sharpmaker edge advice...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cliff Stamp

Re: S90V and Sharpmaker edge advice...

Post by Cliff Stamp »

HarleyXJGuy wrote: So when can I expect to see this done? You have a youtube channel or maybe just post it up here?
Ha, I always preferred the raw experimenting. John Davis has some very nice Sharpmaker videos on some very fine details including a pretty novel way he uses the stone which he is the only one I saw actually do it that way. He has sort of dropped off knives though and is playing with RC helicopters.

I have video's up, but they all explore a bunch of little facets. It is really not easy at all to make a video like Sal has done and come off even close to being processional, just try it. It might look easy, but it really isn't.

A few video's which would be interesting, or part of a longer video :

-how to tell / deal with bevels which are larger than the Sharpmaker angles and/or uneven along the blade
-ultra brittle or ultra soft steels
-when/why/how to remove the strained metal from the apex before sharpening
-when/why use the CBN, medium, fine, uf rods
-which apex angle

Note we all focus on one tiny part of the Sharpmaker which is just the knives. It actually is designed to sharpen everything from scissors, to potato peelers, to nail clippers to garden shears. It is way more capable than a standard v-rod especially if you explore using the rods as files.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Oh yeah JDavis video is one of the reasons I decided to go the SM route.

His way of using it seems good to keep from rounding the tip of your blade and to decrease the time it takes to get your sharpening complete.

In the end I am thinking it will come down to getting my hands on the Sm and using it. Once that happens I am sure to be back with some questions and observations.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
In a perfect world someone would make a video or detailed written article that goes through the steps using the SM and CBN/diamonds rods that will put a nice edge on your knife. Not so much theory but follow these steps and you will have a very sharp edge suitable for daily cutting chores.

Maybe just following the video that comes with the SM? I bet there are some things missing from that video. Like removing damaged steel before you start.
You really need to understand the theory. That is why so many people struggle with sharpening. They want some detailed step by step with number of strokes and everything. It is as much art as it is science and you really need to understand the theory and then find a method that works for you and then be able to adapt because different knives can behave differently and there are different obstacles that can present themselves. There is definitely more than one way to accomplish the same end result and what works for me may not work for you. We get a lot of people that get on here and want to know how many passes it will take on a given stone with a given steel on a given knife and the answer is, as many as it takes for you and your knife and your technique. We apply different amounts of pressure and we all clean our stones at different intervals as well as I'm sure a few other variables. You need to know how to test sharpness so you can gauge progress and determine when to progress to the next stone and there is more than one way to do that as well. Once you have a solid understanding of how the bevel/micro-bevel works and you find a method that enables you to put it to use then sharpening or at least maintaining a sharp edge becomes mind boggling simple and easy but it still never stops being as much of an art as a science. Sharpening really is simple in the sense that it is nothing more than producing a cleanly apexed edge made out of undamaged and unstressed material with the desired level of finish. However, accomplishing this is not quite so simple and there are many ways to do it and it requires a bit of understanding to make it happen.

There are always plenty of people on here willing to help and in the end like many things practice is the key.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Laethageal wrote:
... simply that I'll avoid taking them as a "End-all be-all answer ...
This is an excellent approach as there isn't one unless you want to make a religious claim.
If trying a test and results goes toward what the claim was, I'll consider it as pretty valid.
This is not when it is an if-only-if criteria (really dangerous), and in fact is still pretty bad even when it is an if-only criteria.

What you have just described is an epistemology which ranks a claim based on who made it not the justification provided for the claim by the individual that made it and the coherence it has with what is known.

You might want to read Kuhn who wrote about it extensively and the horrible problems it causes in scientific research when people hold to that viewpoint, it is fairly crippling mainly because it doesn't allow correction.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

me2 wrote:
[...]
I've cut 750 slices or so on 440A class steels using 3/8" hemp, and the edge would still slice receipt paper.
Interesting, this is part of that grit retention comparison piece I have been poking about with recently :

This is the worn edge after 750+ cuts in 1/2 hemp (767 to be specific) with a very soft 3Cr13 steel knife which costs $1. The edge is really dull at this stage, < 1.5% of optimal, however :

-it still cuts the 1/2" on a 2" draw with less than 20 lbs of force
-easily slices newsprint

I don't think this is the ideal grit (too fine) and the angle is way too high (15 dps) and with them adjusted I could easily get 1000+ slices. If I was willing to run the knife even blunter then far more cuts could be done as blunting is non-linear.

However this knife is long past the point I would cut with it since it is literally 5-10 seconds to re-apex this knife with this low grit there is no point to using it anywhere close that level of bluntness.

Plus, being practical, if you are cutting rope which is more likely :

-you make 1000 cuts into the rope perfectly

-you make a miss cut or otherwise cut into something hard by accident

In actual use it is always going to be the latter unless you work in a rope factory, and this steel is extremely tough, will not chip even in extremes and the very high grindability means it is trivial to sharpen even when very dull (as in you dig a hole in rocky ground with it).
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Hey Cliff,

I was watching one of your Youtube vids last night. I believe you said you don't create a burr when sharpening. Why is that? Do you just consider that a waste of metal if you can get an optimal apex before getting the burr?
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

mb1 wrote:Hey Cliff,

Do you just consider that a waste of metal if you can get an optimal apex before getting the burr?
The first thing to keep in mind about sharpening is that there is a big difference between wanting to get a knife sharp enough so that it just cuts more so than tears/rips and trying to get extreme levels of sharpness and edge retention. If you are just doing the former then a basic method which is :

-grind the edge to a burr
-flip the knife and repeat
-micro-bevel to finish

Is easy, simple and straightforward. But it has problems and this is why :

vs

This is the exact same stone used (Bester 700) with the same force, same amount of water. In the first picture it is stopped just before it hits an apex, in the second picture it is over ground and you can just barely feel a burr, just barely. But even with that small burr that you can't really see then it should be obvious that the apex itself is totally destroyed and that the damage is much deeper than the burr.

If you put a micro-bevel on both of these edges then they will seem similar in sharpness but the edge retention and durability is much higher on the first one. This difference in performance is MUCH larger than the difference in steels, it isn't even comparable. If you take for example a 420J2 knife with the first edge then it will easily outperform a M4 knife with the second edge carving wood, cutting cardboard, etc. . But unless you check it under magnification you are not likely to note the edge actually has an issue.

The Bester 700 isn't even a really coarse stone, this is what happens if you form a burr with an x-coarse stone :

Again this burr is just barely visible, it is tiny to your eyes and barely visible to your fingers. But keep in mind a sharpened apex is ~1 micron, that is one thousand of a mm. If you can see of feel a burr it is literally going to be 10-100X larger than the sharpened apex. If you want optimal performance then you have to remove all of that damage.

This is one of the core issues why a lot of people really have a pretty severe misunderstanding of what impressive means in regards to knife performance because what they have seen themselves is performance from edges which are often very poorly sharpened and have many issues such as :

-large stress cracks from heavy burr formation with coarse stones
-strained metal from previous work which was never removed
-an over buffed edge which rounded the apex

As just one example :

This is 4.5 KM, that is 4.5 kilometers of magazine paper cut with a 3Cr13 (420J2) knife at < 55 HRC and it didn't even take off the shaving sharp edge, yet a lot of people think cutting paper is hard on a knife edge, or that cardboard quickly dulls an edge. That same knife can easily cut a kilometer of cardboard or do a 1000 slices through 1/2" hemp and still slice a piece of paper smoothly.

The trick is however that the edge has to look like this before you put on the micro-bevel to set the apex :

not like this :

Those are again the exact same stones used, same knife, same edge angle, same everything, they are just used slightly differently. One uses a very muddy stone to bring the knife close to an apex but not over grind and form a burr. One uses a more wet stone for faster cutting and over grinds to form a barely visible burr. If you do any of the following :

-leave weakened metal on the edge
-over burr and round the apex
-form a very heavy burr and not remove it

then the performance will suffer, the knife will go dull rapidly, it will chip/deform much easier and in general be very low performance.

I would say though not to get so focused on this to the extreme that sharpening becomes some kind of chore or irritation. Just set a couple of goals and work towards them focusing on what you are trying to achieve with a decent understanding of what is happening. Note as well that while I don't try to form a burr, sometimes it happens. If it does then I cut it off on the stone and back bevel, this is also where people go off into weird places as they do lots of pretty odd things to remove it, many of which do as much damage or more than the burr itself :

-try to strop it off
-smash it off by scraping the knife through hardwoods
-get rid of it with a steel

These often make the problem worse as they can fold the burr back and forth until it cracks off, or simply smash it back into the apex itself both of which will further damage the edge. The sensible choice was noted by Jeff Clark on BF many years ago, which was also noted by Goddard in a very old knife sharpening article and is no more complex than this :

-elevate the edge angle a LOT, as in double or triple what you are using
-make 1-2 very light passes alternating sides

This cuts off the burr and you can continue sharpening as normal.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I was wondering, is there an easy way you know for me to have a closer look to what's doing on on my edge without shelling out 200-300$ on a microscope? would a cheap 60-100x portable miscroscope do the trick?
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
me2

Post by me2 »

That was on the other thread. I was just replicating some tests by another member and found 440A class steel could make as many cuts on my rope as M4 on his rope. His rope could have just been very abrasive though.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Laethageal wrote:...would a cheap 60-100x portable miscroscope do the trick?
They have essentially the same magnification, the high end ones have things like :

-better software including calibration
-higher resolution for digital capture
-integrated stands
-multiple lights and polarizers

However all of the images in the above were from a $50 digital which is a pretty poor one which had the battery latch break the first time I used it, and it spazzes out on occasion and loses resolution. However I still use it because it can take 50X linear shots and it is very simple to use. A basic Veho is only 50-$75. If you don't want digital you can get them for much less, < $25 easy.

Note they all greatly exaggerate the magnification as they do things like refer to angular magnification, or area magnification to allow really high numbers, up to "500X zoom!". However what you will find is that they top out at 50X linear magnification even for the high end ones. Now you can blow the image up as much as you want of course but you lose resolution.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Thanks Cliff. That is some awesome detail. I can see the effect there. With all the detail you post, it is very helpful when you offer the bullet point summaries!

I am struggling a little to comprehend what I should really be doing with my only tool, the Sharpmaker, especially as it relates to my attempt to create the sharpest, most durable edge possible on my beloved South Fork. It is in the 18-20 dps range, so I don't think micro-beveling is possible for me without taking it down to 15 dps first. I don't own any stones and don't freehand (yet).

One takeaway I have to try is the 1 -2, weight of the knife only, strokes to remove damaged metal. Then it seems like using alternating strokes would be best to prevent burr formation (as opposed to the unique JDAvis method of intentionally creating a burr). I gathered somewhere (maybe JDavis also) that maybe the edge of the rods is not preferred for a better quality edge, using the flats only. But I understand the edge of the rods will cut more aggressively.

Then I guess I'll experiment with grit a little in trying the brown only, vs finishing with the white stones. Slicing is probably my primary cutting method for most applications I can imagine.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

That's it, you just made me order a cheap handheld 50x microscope.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Laethageal wrote:That's it, you just made me order a cheap handheld 50x microscope.
I don't even have my SM yet and am thinking about getting one also.

Bad influences here.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

mb1 wrote: Then I guess I'll experiment with grit a little in trying the brown only, vs finishing with the white stones.
If you put one rod under the end of one side of the Sharpmaker so it puts the base on a slant, it will change the angles by 3 degrees which allows you to sharpen at :

-23 dps
bearfacedkiller

I have a cheapo and the LED is kinda blue but it works.

This is my Cruwear Military with the factory bevel with a slight micro-bevel added. I recently had it in for repair and they put a factory edge back on it. Now I need to put my own bevel back on it. Oh well, they fixed the stripped screw. I am sure most people would have been happy that they sharpened it. I am kind of a control freak about my edges. Nobody sharpens my knives but me. :)
Attachments
10x on mine
10x on mine
200x on mine
200x on mine
60x on mine
60x on mine
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Cliff Stamp wrote:
mb1 wrote: Then I guess I'll experiment with grit a little in trying the brown only, vs finishing with the white stones.
If you put one rod under the end of one side of the Sharpmaker so it puts the base on a slant, it will change the angles by 3 degrees which allows you to sharpen at :

-23 dps
I have done the teeter totter method myself.

I strongly suggest the diamond stones for reprofiling, especially with the southfork.

-Darby
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I have done the teeter totter method myself.
That's neat.

Maybe Spyderco could consider doing something on a future version which would allow some kind of similar function in a advanced capacity similar to the other functions. A single 1.5 dps alteration would make all of the following available :

-13.5 dps

It could be done as simple as a wedge which slides into the sharmaker base and fits into a notch under it.
bearfacedkiller

At first I thought about filing a groove into the underside of the base so the rod would have a slight notch to rest in but then I realized that there was a groove on the top of the sharpmaker base right in the center and that a rubber band could rest in the groove. That is enough to keep the rod centered under the base and I have used a brass rod, a wooden dowel and one of the sharpmaker rods and have been able to achieve a variety of angles with a decent amount of consistency and repeatability. I have no idea what angles I am actually achieving but I was able to reprofile my SB Delica down to a fairly low angle and now run a 30 degree micro bevel on it. It works very well on that blade and is very easy to keep it very sharp.

It went from this:

To this:

-Darby
bearfacedkiller

Just for fun, here is the edge under 200x, 60x and then 10x under my cheapo microscope. :D
Attachments
2014-11-07_10-29-54-AM.jpg
2014-11-07_10-28-37-AM.jpg
2014-11-07_10-29-02-AM.jpg
-Darby
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

That's looking like a keen edge Darby :)