Yojimbo 2: initial thoughts and a word for Michael Janich

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just ordered one.......people say optics planet is really bad to advertise things and not have them.....I'll call them tomorrow and see....
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

MacLaren wrote:Just ordered one.......people say optics planet is really bad to advertise things and not have them.....I'll call them tomorrow and see....
Like I mentioned that was my experience . Good luck hope they have one for you , I ended up paying 20 dollars more somewhere else but hopefully I'll have better luck then my experience with optic planet and it'll ship soon from my dealer of choice ; )
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

TheFactor wrote:That's a great price and there very hard to find . I delt with optic planet before though when buying a Black Hawk left handed holster I needed for a new gun . I needed a holster to clear a new tactical vest I got for my job so it was important I got it in a short time frame . They showed it in stock and ready to ship and two days later I received a email saying it wasn't in stock so it would be a 7 to 14 delay while they try to locate one . I was not happy to say the least . They were very nice about it though and refunded me my money . But when I see in stock I have to wonder is it really?
I decided to purchase my YoJimbo 2 elsewhere . That was just my experience with them and others might feel differently . It was my first time of doing business with them and probably my last lol.
I haven't bought from them directly, but I understand that they are supposed to be pretty reputable. I did buy a Cruwear Military from their Dvor affiliate, and my experience was similar to yours. They had a Brick & Mortar store, were very polite when I called, made sure I got a discount even though it wasn't on the initial invoice, but didn't have the item in stock at the time. I did eventually get it, with the discount... So, it sounds like it would be OK to buy from them if you call first to make sure the item is on hand :rolleyes:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

DougC-3 wrote:I haven't bought from them directly, but I understand that they are supposed to be pretty reputable. I did buy a Cruwear Military from their Dvor affiliate, and my experience was similar to yours. They had a Brick & Mortar store, were very polite when I called, made sure I got a discount even though it wasn't on the initial invoice, but didn't have the item in stock at the time. I did eventually get it, with the discount... So, it sounds like it would be OK to buy from them if you call first to make sure the item is on hand :rolleyes:
They are a reputable company and as you suggested I would call first before placing the order to make sure it's in stock . I have to admit I would of been tempted to try them again if I didn't already find a YoJimbo from another reputable dealer but only because I was desperate to get one lol .
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, no go with Opticsplanet. imo, not so much reputable. I just cant call false advertising reputable. I had a strong feeling that would be the case. Many a guy on snipers hide complains about this same thing with opticsplanet. I mean how hard is ti keep track of inventory? knifeworks,bladehq,amazon,etc....all have no problem listing an item as out of stock. They even say in an email that if you order is urgent they have thousands of items that closely match your order......theyre playing the odds. they know full good and well they don't have that item in stock. No sir, I will never do business with opticsplanet again if I can at all help it. I just don't believe in those shady sales tactics. Sorry for the rant, but I really thought I might have had a Yojimbo 2. I do have another option but, just think I will wait till they return in force.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

Sorry to hear that and hope your other option works out if you choose that route ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TheFactor wrote:Sorry to hear that and hope your other option works out if you choose that route ;)
Thank you. I just got a little but hurt about the yojimbo......wished I hadn't said anything now lol.....I hope you guys will look over me....
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

MacLaren wrote:Thank you. I just got a little but hurt about the yojimbo......wished I hadn't said anything now lol.....I hope you guys will look over me....
No problem! :) It sounds like you're right, certainly about your experience. I thought it looked like they were claiming to have an incredible amount of stuff in stock (Dvor, too).
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
tlo14290

Post by tlo14290 »

Invective wrote:One thing I've found helps with cardboard is instead of cutting it with the blade perpendicular to to cardboard, go in at an angle. For some reason it makes it a lot easier for me to cut cardboard especially with my Yo2.

Also, one of my favorite aspects of the Yo2 is how comfortable the handle is no matter how I'm holding it. Seriously, I've done ice-pick, hammer, as well any other way I can think of and no matter what I try it feels like it was made for my hand! I don't get how but it just fits
Absolutely, cutting the cardboard at an angle makes things go much easier, the cut spreads sideways around the blade instead of having to compress the cardboard. However, care must be used. I was cutting open a very thick box containing a washing machine several years ago, cutting at an angle from above, and using my index finger on top of the blade to limit penetration ( didn't want to scratch my moms new washer! ), and I allowed the ~45 degree cut edge of the cardboard to contact my finger while cutting... The results were gory, to say the least. That cardboard went nearly to the bone on the fleshy pad of my unfortunate index finger.

I still use that trick when cutting cardboard, especially with the thicker stuff, and have not had a repeat of that experience. Needless to say, I'm VERY careful never to allow a body part to slide along that freshly cut edge!

That washer box was exceptionally hard and thick, which I'm sure contributed to the effect. I think I could have skinned a moose with that cut edge.

Hey, Sal, a new blade material for your next Para 2 sprint run! (No, no, just kidding!)