Yojimbo 2: initial thoughts and a word for Michael Janich

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Yojimbo 2: initial thoughts and a word for Michael Janich

Post by Surfingringo »

I arrived home Wednesday and I've now had a couple of days to handle my yojimbo 2. This is a spectacular knife. Really. There is nothing new I can say about it so I will just repeat a couple of the praises that everyone else seems to share.

The ergonomics are awesome. I imagine this knife would make a great s.d. tool, but I bought it purely as an edc/utility blade and seems about perfect for that role. The grip is just amazing. The most comfortable and natural grip is with the thumb resting along the spine. The control this grip offers coupled with the fine tip make this a very precise and effective tool to work with. Outstanding!

The compression lock...well, I have owned a few paramilitaries and I'm pretty familiar with the lock, but this knife is a very fine example. This yojimbo locks up like a bank vault. Zero play in any direction...and this from a guy who is OCD about bladeplay. There is NONE! ZERO!! And the blade will still freefall when the lock is depressed! I didn't know this was even possible as I was never able to get any of my paramilitaries to behave this precisely. Anyway, I'm going to just chalk that up to getting a lucky copy until I can handle some more. Whatever the reason, I'm extremely happy with it! I have barely put this thing down since I got it and my girlfriend is starting to roll her eyes everytime she hears the lock click. ;)

Anyway, no sense rambling on about all the same great things about this knife that can be found in any thread or video. Suffice it to say that I am extremely pleased with the blade. I think it is a truly outstanding design.

Lance

--And to Michael Janich...Mike, I am a big fan of Sal Glessers designs. I love spyderco knives, but it seems to be Sals designs specifically that feel like they were designed just for my hand and uses. I've tried a lot of the spyderco collaborations and though I can appreciate all of them, I have never felt that connection to any of them that I get with Sals designs...until now. This knife that you designed is something special sir. Very well thought out and very well implemented! Thank you.

Sal, I reckon y'all outta see if you can get this guy to hang around for a little while! ;)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Hmmm, sounds like I might need to pick one of these up sometime...

EDIT: I've actually been planning to get one but it's not high on my list so I'm going to wait and try to score the CF/S90V version from KW.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I had a similar thought. That one's going to go in record time, though, so be sure you're quick on the trigger. Love these KW exclusives!
Donut

Post by Donut »

The negative I've seen with mine is that the blade is kind of thick and if you're cutting something that doesn't bend, like card board... the rigidity can get hung up on the width of the blade.

I have something else to report about the design. I think I will be working on documenting it sometime today.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

senorsquare wrote:...I'm going to wait and try to score the CF/S90V version from KW.
The line starts here and ends way back there..... :)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Lance:

Thank you very much for your post and the kind words. I'm very glad you're pleased with your Yo2 and sincerely hope it serves you well for many years to come.

Sal's designs are exceptional, so being considered anywhere near his class is high praise indeed. I don't know that I'm worthy, but I'm certainly honored.

Stay safe,

Mike

P.S. Thanks for the help on job security...
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

xceptnl wrote:The line starts here and ends way back there..... :)
Yes, there will have to be a good amount of luck and timing to score one of those.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

senorsquare wrote:Yes, there will have to be a good amount of luck and timing to score one of those.
I was quite surprised to see the Manix 2 XL Exclusive take so long to sell out. This has me hopeful for actually getting an S90V Yo2.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Surfingringo wrote: my girlfriend is starting to roll her eyes everytime she hears the lock click. ;)
She needs to see a doctor & have those eyes looked at. There seems to be something wrong with them. :rolleyes:
O.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I am officially obsessed with this knife! I just picked up my green paramilitary from knifeworks this morning and I've barely even messed with it. I'm afraid I've got yojimbo fever!!
Invective

Post by Invective »

Donut wrote:The negative I've seen with mine is that the blade is kind of thick and if you're cutting something that doesn't bend, like card board... the rigidity can get hung up on the width of the blade.
One thing I've found helps with cardboard is instead of cutting it with the blade perpendicular to to cardboard, go in at an angle. For some reason it makes it a lot easier for me to cut cardboard especially with my Yo2.

Also, one of my favorite aspects of the Yo2 is how comfortable the handle is no matter how I'm holding it. Seriously, I've done ice-pick, hammer, as well any other way I can think of and no matter what I try it feels like it was made for my hand! I don't get how but it just fits
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Surfingringo wrote:I am officially obsessed with this knife! I just picked up my green paramilitary from knifeworks this morning and I've barely even messed with it. I'm afraid I've got yojimbo fever!!
Try the reverse hold. And look at Filipino knife fighting. The Yo2 shines at this......
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Screwdriver wrote:Try the reverse hold. And look at Filipino knife fighting. The Yo2 shines at this......
The Yo2 doesn't really work as an SD knife for me. I have a hard opening it fast and reliably because of the occluded hole.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:The Yo2 doesn't really work as an SD knife for me. I have a hard opening it fast and reliably because of the occluded hole.

I can open mine very fast.....as fast as any Spydie.....The occluded hole and the cut outs make it as easy as any knife.
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Screwdriver wrote:I can open mine very fast.....as fast as any Spydie.....The occluded hole and the cut outs make it as easy as any knife.
Can you do it faultlessly 10 times out of 10, going full speed?

Sure you can, everybody else can. I can't, not 100% of the time. I don't want to have that 10-20% happen when I really do need it fast. The Yo2, as great as it is, is just a big boxcutter to me. Not an SD knife.

I have that disconcerting feeling that my thumb will slip off. No other Spydie I have feels like it, even the occluded hole on the GB. Kinda similar to that feeling you get in the small of your back when you slip on a slippery floor.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If anything I do wish it had a Para 2 sized hole even if it meant the thumb dip was raised and made flat like the Yojimbo 1. The other changes I'm on with making myself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:If anything I do wish it had a Para 2 sized hole even if it meant the thumb dip was raised and made flat like the Yojimbo 1. The other changes I'm on with making myself.
Yup, it's not just the occlusion. It's probably the size of the hole too. Although, the superleaf has around the same size hole if I'm not mistaken.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Can you do it faultlessly 10 times out of 10, going full speed?

Sure you can, everybody else can. I can't, not 100% of the time. I don't want to have that 10-20% happen when I really do need it fast. The Yo2, as great as it is, is just a big boxcutter to me. Not an SD knife.

I have that disconcerting feeling that my thumb will slip off. No other Spydie I have feels like it, even the occluded hole on the GB. Kinda similar to that feeling you get in the small of your back when you slip on a slippery floor.
I just run my thumb down the occlusion quickly and dig in and it opens. I can do it 100% of the time. Let me put it this way....I can open it easier than many thumb stud models from other companies knives designed for SD.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Can you do it faultlessly 10 times out of 10, going full speed?

I feel the same way but man, this thing is one hellacious cool box cutter!! I think it's great that a knife designed primarily for sd can prove to be such a functional design for edc/utility use!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Screwdriver wrote:I just run my thumb down the occlusion quickly and dig in and it opens. I can do it 100% of the time. Let me put it this way....I can open it easier than many thumb stud models from other companies knives designed for SD.
Yep, special technique to do it over just putting your thumb in the hole and pushing. Glad it works for you though. I hope you'll remember to do that special technique if you ever need it, God forbid. :)
Surfingringo wrote:I feel the same way but man, this thing is one hellacious cool box cutter!! I think it's great that a knife designed primarily for sd can prove to be such a functional design for edc/utility use!
I think cutting is cutting and a great cutter will work for SD just as well as for utility. Probably why kitchen knives also make good weapons. :)