Steel Junkies: A new laminate S 90V clad with cpm 154 cm FYI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nsm

Post by nsm »

nozh2002 wrote:This is what you sad first time:

For me "this is all done in the USA" means that you are talking about CPM S90V laminated by CPM 154.
As you may see it is different that you sad here:

Once you sad it this way - you do not need to say it other way. Let see some Cruwear in production.

For laminate I thing they rather laminate it when they lay powder in the form before cooking it into solid metal - way Damasteel was doing it while ago...
This should as well make it less pricy. But again no point using average performer like CPM S90V - it better be Cruwear.
I'm not sure what you mean here but I'm guessing you want to see Cruwear in a future composite. That sounds interesting and we will keep it in mind. If you are saying you want to see some Cruwear in production, you are welcome to buy some. I can send you the chemistry certs ahead of time to see if it is what you want.

We may have the option to do different things in the can to get patterns in the steel. The nice thing is that we have a great supplier like Crucible that is willing to listen to us to come up with innovative solutions to customer requests. We are also fortunate to have customers like Sal, Eric and Ed who are willing to work with new alloys.
nsm

Post by nsm »

kbuzbee wrote:Glad you popped in, Bob.

On behalf of the forum, let me offer apologies. Things are usually a lot more civil around here.

Ken
Ken,
Thanks and no problem here. I'm just trying to make sure we are doing what we can to help out.
Bob
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

nsm wrote:I'm not sure what you mean here but I'm guessing you want to see Cruwear in a future composite. That sounds interesting and we will keep it in mind. If you are saying you want to see some Cruwear in production, you are welcome to buy some. I can send you the chemistry certs ahead of time to see if it is what you want.

We may have the option to do different things in the can to get patterns in the steel. The nice thing is that we have a great supplier like Crucible that is willing to listen to us to come up with innovative solutions to customer requests. We are also fortunate to have customers like Sal, Eric and Ed who are willing to work with new alloys.
CPM S90V (Military) is in 23 place in edge holding according to my tests (CPM154 is on 27 - almost same),
Cruwear (Mule) is on 3rd place after CTS B75P (Mule) and CTS 204P (Microtech WhaleShark).

So to me CPM S90V is average performer while Cruwear is top performer.
So if you want top performer in core - Cruwear is better candidate, then CPM S90V.
However if reason for this is only high polish and easy gring - I am not sure if Cruwear
is inferior to CPM 154 in that regards.

I want to see Cruwear in production knives, sorry being not clear on that, I am just a
knife customer not a maker.

I do not take to much credit to chemical composition, because I know that it does not
really give much idea on how blade is going to perform. It depends more on who is doing
heat treatment - I see that some manufacturers doing good job, some don't. As well as
Carpenter looks to do much better steel then Crucible even with same or almost same
composition.

I am not big fan of Crucible, because of this push to switch very good steel CPM S60V
to this pathetic CPM S30V and inability to produce anything but average performers for ten years
until Cruwear. I see a lot of good performers coming from Carpenter for quite some
time now (starting from CTS-XHP ManixII), but somehow knife Industry keep ignoring
them, while to me if they really care about quality of knives and domestic manufacturing,
should jump on it right away.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Sal and I spoke and it's unfortunately time for this thread to be closed.
There is nothing more important than this one day.