Steel Junkies: A new laminate S 90V clad with cpm 154 cm FYI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jabba359 wrote:
Now that I'm checking it out on a bigger monitor, I see it. On a small screen the S90V part looked like it was just darker shadowing from a bevel or grind line, but now I can see that it's actually the color difference between the two steels and not a bevel or grind line at all. Thanks!
No problem. :)

Once I get it in hand I will take my MACRO lens to it so it will show better. :cool:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

nozh2002 wrote:Well, sure your results is consistent and repeatable by you and show no difference if cutting on wooden base happen or not.
They are also exactly same as it is expected by knife community and please everybody. No surprises, no discoveries, no troubles.
In addition you are not telling anything about your method because you are "going to write book".

I see whole picture now. Thank you very much I have no more questions everything is pretty clear.

My results are what they are based on the method that I use, I am not trying to please anyone, all I do is test and record the data.

The reason for as you say no surprises is that the knives I test are held to a certain variable so it would make since that there wouldn't be any surprises.

It would make no since to even try to compare two blades that have a large variation in geometry and or thickness behind the edge because the difference in the results would be too large due to the variables.

In short I keep things honest and don't slant my results in anyway nor do I give an advantage to any steel over another in testing.

That's is as straight forward as I can get. ;)
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

nozh2002 wrote: I am saying - it is huge difference in results, so big that it make results random or influenced.
Why would it introduce a random variation (change the rankings)?

Each cut is just a cut through hemp and then along the board so in effect he is making a cut on a combined media of rope+wood.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

We really should continue this in another thread in Off-Topic called "beating a dead horse". Ill boycott it of course.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Why would it introduce a random variation (change the rankings)?

Each cut is just a cut through hemp and then along the board so in effect he is making a cut on a combined media of rope+wood.
Yeah it wouldn't make any difference if I was using concrete as a base as long as I always stuck to the exact same method. :D

Extreme I know, but just an example.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:We really should continue this in another thread in Off-Topic called "beating a dead horse". Ill boycott it of course.
That horse is long dead and turned to dust so yeah, but then I am done with it as I have gone over it way too many times.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Jim,

Has he ever noted why it should introduce a random spread in the rankings?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Jim,

Has he ever noted why it should introduce a random spread in the rankings?
Not in a way that ever made since mathematically or scientifically.
chukar8

Post by chukar8 »

this started out as a great thread,lol.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I watched a video of the rope cutting on the special stand without a base and I wonder if blade geometry/thickness comes more into play because the rope tends to squeeze the blade as the blade passes through. Just a thought.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ABX2011 wrote:I watched a video of the rope cutting on the special stand without a base and I wonder if blade geometry/thickness comes more into play because the rope tends to squeeze the blade as the blade passes through. Just a thought.
That would be a problem doing it that way....
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Ankerson wrote:Here are the photos of the test Knife, Phil asked me to post them up. :)

Anyway back to the topic at hand as in above as the thread did go sideways so maybe we can keep it on track. :)

As people can see in the photos there is a contrast in color between the two steels.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

ABX2011 wrote:I watched a video of the rope cutting on the special stand without a base and I wonder if blade geometry/thickness comes more into play because the rope tends to squeeze the blade as the blade passes through.
If you cut over a gap with a significant amount of rope on each side you can get a pinching effect as the rope is pushed into the opening. However you can minimize this by :

-cutting over a very narrow opening so the cut is well supported on each side

-cut over the side of a block so the rope just falls away as it is cut

In general, you need to take care when using knives of vastly different geometries and even handle shapes because they will effect how you cut.

The easiest way to do this is just do a large amount of cutting and note how blades with more ergonomic handles and superior cutting blades will give you far more control. More control is less twisting and other lateral/prying loads against the edge and less high force/speed cuts due to frustration.

In general, you always want to keep in mind that you are comparing a lot more than just steels and in the end you are trying to extract from that if the steels are different. It is possible you just need to apply some basic math/statistics.

If you consider for example a very basic (reduced) problem.

Let say you have a track team of two dozen members, you want to see if a new shoe helps them so you take one guy and give him the new shoes, have him do one race and then make that decision based on his performance. It should be obvious this is a flawed approach because you could see just the effect of a variation in a race as the same guy doesn't run the same race speed all the time.

Now instead give everyone the same new shoes and look at their average performance differences over a number of practices and make a decision there. You have made a vast jump in stability of result but you could still be wrong if you were to conclude that *in general* that is a better shoe as you could be seeing effects which are :

-limited to that particular group
-effected by the weather/terrain
-caused simply because they believe it is a better shoe

Thus if you want to try to make a really stable conclusion you would look at multiple groups, over multiple factors, and attempt partial or full blinding. And then, and this is the critical part, figure out why the shoe is better and then test that hypothesis because there has to be a systematic underlying physical property :

-it is lighter
-it cushions better
-it has better traction

etc. .

The same holds for edge retention or any other property. This approach however is rarely done which is why there is so much conflict in the result reported because often conclusions which are linked to steels are not actually the steel causing the difference but other issues such as geometry, sharpening, variations in method and even just perception.

Even in actual research it isn't trivial to answer what you would think are very simple questions when people are involved because of the complexity that people add to the equation. It is therefore much easier to say if a steel would cut more/less pieces of rope in a machine than if it would if a person was using it when the environment, skill, physical strength, etc. all vary wildly.

As an example, there was a recent edge retention comparison on YT and Buck's 420HC's blade came strongly ahead in cardboard cutting over a lot of much more expensive and high wear steels. Now without seeing the knives and the data in detail there is no way to know for sure, but one simple reason that could cause this is that in general that is a very simple steel to get to a very high sharpness because it has :

-minimal retained austenite
-minimal ferrite formed in cooling
-decently high hardness
-very low carbide volume

It thus grinds easily, does not tend to form heavy burrs and is very easy to thus get a very stable edge very quickly. As initial edge sharpness and quality have a huge effect on edge holding this could be dominant over all other factors.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ankerson wrote:Anyway back to the topic at hand as in above as the thread did go sideways so maybe we can keep it on track. :)

As people can see in the photos there is a contrast in color between the two steels.
Maybe I'm just a blathering fanboy but that is one beautiful "test knife". :D

Looking forward to people getting some of this in-hand for their own thoughts. It seems to hold up aesthetically and uses quality ingredients.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:Maybe I'm just a blathering fanboy but that is one beautiful "test knife". :D

Looking forward to people getting some of this in-hand for their own thoughts. It seems to hold up aesthetically and uses quality ingredients.
Yes it is. :D

Can't wait to see it in hand and I will try to do it some real justice when I take some photos. :)
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

The "departure" line is subtle. I had to get the light just right for it to show up on the photo I sent to Ankerson. The CPM S90V is also a slightly different color, sort of brassy. I think as people play with it more if it becomes available it can be etched to bring out the difference more clearly. The finish on the knife is hand rubbed down to 600 grit so a finer finish might also show the line better.
Not sure why Nozh felt he had to come in on this subject. He has no expertise on this particular steel and is making the same tired old arguments on cutting test methods and still showing the same lack of knowledge on the Crucible steels. He mentioned my name so I felt obligated to comment. Phil
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

ABX2011 wrote:I watched a video of the rope cutting on the special stand without a base and I wonder if blade geometry/thickness comes more into play because the rope tends to squeeze the blade as the blade passes through. Just a thought.
Sure, it is harder to cut for me if blade is thicker or has some coating, but I do not take tha into account.

I do not think it would be possible to discuss it here, so many unhappy funboys. If you have any questions,
please, better ask them in my blog.

See - Ankerson try to teach me math... funny. I am wondering what is his degree - I am MS in Applied Mathematics.

Stamp keep pretending that he is a "scientist" - while he ban me from his forum without word of explanation, he set it up so I can not even read what is there (which is quite easy to workaround, but nothing really to read) and try to flood my e-mail spam folder by giving me moderator priviledges so all moderator mails goes to me... Very childish on my opinion, as well as all his scientist-like talks. But for all this years he did nothing in terms of do any real work...

So place like this with all that people who like to say somethng even if they has nothing to say is not right place to discuss knife science. Crowd get used to promotional materials here they need simple and clear directions not "question everything".
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:Maybe I'm just a blathering fanboy but that is one beautiful "test knife". :D
You are! And it is! ;)

And I have nothing to say ;)

Fanboy out!

Ken
玉鋼
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Nozh,

You are not banned on the forum, that should be obvious as you still show active status, nor do you even need to be a member of the forum to read the posts.

As you kept insulting the members when they asked you questions which you would not answer your messages were simply flagged for moderator approval before they are posted.

That being said, you have no actual rejected posts, any rejected posts would be posted in a separate forum noting why they were rejected.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

That is one pretty knife.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D