New Military???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alex4

New Military???

Post by Alex4 »

Hello everyone,

I know, this is a silly question , before I ask it, (and somewhere previously discussed), but I am wondering is there any information on whether there would be a Military upgrade soon, and if it would, what could be the possible improvements. I am planning to buy that knife, but the only thing that stops me from doing that are the tiny screws that, I believe, could be damaged while disassembly (i know it voids the warranty, but i like to clean my knives times to times). Thank You.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I think only a couple people really know when the Military 2 will be coming out and I wouldn't count on it being anytime soon. The only difference is...
Sal Glesser wrote:We have no intention to change the grind of the Military. Slight ergo improvements, new lock (lefty friendly) and 4 way clip are planned.

sal
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 467-Mili-2
post 35

As far as the screws go, I believe it's not much an issue as the Military has been around for quite some time, maybe 15 years, and I haven't heard of any problems with them. If you do take them out then it might be a good idea to heat them up with a soldering iron first to loosen up the locktite.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Alex4 wrote:Hello everyone,

I know, this is a silly question , before I ask it, (and somewhere previously discussed), but I am wondering is there any information on whether there would be a Military upgrade soon, and if it would, what could be the possible improvements. I am planning to buy that knife, but the only thing that stops me from doing that are the tiny screws that, I believe, could be damaged while disassembly (i know it voids the warranty, but i like to clean my knives times to times). Thank You.
Not "soon" as far as any public info from Spyderco goes. I think Sal's last comment on timing was that it was a project with no timetable and a lot of other knives in front of it. I would not worry about the screws for a nanosecond, speaking from experience and a perspective similar to yours. :spyder:
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Also, with its open back, the Millie is designed to be easy to clean without having to disassemble it.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Alex4 wrote:Hello everyone,

Let me guess: you fear the screws because of a particular review by Neptune Knives? Don't worry about it, they don't strip easily. Would larger heads be nice? I wouldn't say no. They are however just fine as is. If you use a partially stripped torx head, or just the wrong size torx, THAT is when you'll start to create problems. A fresh cut hardened steel trox bit will keep you in good shape. :)
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

Alex4 wrote:I am planning to buy that knife, but the only thing that stops me from doing that are the tiny screws...
I have several Millies, and the small screws are something I wish were changed as well. This is not because of maintenance issues or stripping the screws, but because larger screws are stronger and can resist more torque forces. Two larger screws, like the Para2, would be preferable to three smaller ones IMHO. The placement/size of the spacer might have to be changed as well, so the handle might be different on the Military2. :confused: This would also simplify construction: one less screw and one less hole in the G10. The simpler the better - one less point of failure. Heck, three larger screws would work for me as well. (These are just my personal opinions - no claims of expertise in engineering or analytical diagnostics or testing are implied or inferred from my previous statements. Thank you.)

The Millie is a great knife: I use it whenever I get the chance. Don't let the screw-size prevent you from purchasing an excellent knife for the money. :spyder:
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

Sht

Post by Sht »

I'm not spyderco expert but if there is one must have knife I think it's the milie.
Would larger hardware be welcomed? yes is it needed? no. It's the best lightweight/ small in pocket 4" blade out there.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Alex4

Post by Alex4 »

I thank everyone for the input. It was really helpful. And it was also the last "push" towards purchasing this knife :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I have only made one mistake with the Military. I took too long to buy one. ;) Fortunately for me, I fixed that problem years ago.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I love the Millie, I mean I LOVE THE MILLIE! If I could only own one Spydie, oh wait, not going down that road, but I really love my Millies. Just a great knife to hold and to EDC, perfect for any task I would need it for.

I can't believe a Military 2 will be introduced shortly, er, actually, whenever it is introduced. I'll definitely buy one of those, oh yeah baby! Let it be known far and wide, Azwaiian is planning to build up his Military to scary troop strength! :D
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

im am looking at getting the digi handle/dlc millie to match my para 2

i love the size of the millie and i didnt really think the screws are an issue. If i could change something about the current model, it would be a larger lanyard hole. I dont use lanyards on many of my knives, but that little baby hole looks weak on such a large knife. The same proportion to handle as the pm2 would make it look more aggressive...imo may seem like a weird demand, but i think little aesthetic stuff makes a big difference
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...