M390 Para or Sage 1 and S30V Para

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

The M390 Para 2 is sweet. No question. But A) it has a bright blue handle. And B) it's $190 for the one knife. Since you have no experience with either M390 or S30V then I think you should definitely go with the S30V Para2 and Sage. You have never used S30V so if you were to go with the M390 right off the bat there is no way you will appreciate it over the S30V (or even know the difference at this point).

And let me be clear : S30V is an absolutely FANTASTIC steel. A few years ago it was the "M390 of it's day". It is now pretty much the gold standard of blade steel in quality knives. It has fine carbides , takes a scary sharp edge and has superb edge holding properties. It is , without a doubt , a "divine work horse".

So if you go with TWO Spydercos with S30V then you are already going to be envied by many a knife enthusiast. The Sage is a perfect gentleman's folder. It's light , super strong CF handle looks classy and sinister at the same time. And the S30V Para 2 is one of my all-time favorites. A true masterpiece.

And it's true the blue G10 M390 Para 2 may be gone soon. But it's just a matter of time before the next Sprint Para 2 comes out with M390 or a similar steel from Carpenter. The Para 2 will continue to spawn more Sprints since it is an incredibly popular knife and people buy them like hot cakes.

Bottom line : I would absolutely go with the S30V Para 2 and Sage.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Wolverine666 wrote:The M390 Para 2 is sweet. No question. But A) it has a bright blue handle. And B) it's $190 for the one knife. Since you have no experience with either M390 or S30V then I think you should definitely go with the S30V Para2 and Sage. You have never used S30V so if you were to go with the M390 right off the bat there is no way you will appreciate it over the S30V (or even know the difference at this point).

And let me be clear : S30V is an absolutely FANTASTIC steel. A few years ago it was the "M390 of it's day". It is now pretty much the gold standard of blade steel in quality knives. It has fine carbides , takes a scary sharp edge and has superb edge holding properties. It is , without a doubt , a "divine work horse".

So if you go with TWO Spydercos with S30V then you are already going to be envied by many a knife enthusiast. The Sage is a perfect gentleman's folder. It's light , super strong CF handle looks classy and sinister at the same time. And the S30V Para 2 is one of my all-time favorites. A true masterpiece.

And it's true the blue G10 M390 Para 2 may be gone soon. But it's just a matter of time before the next Sprint Para 2 comes out with M390 or a similar steel from Carpenter. The Para 2 will continue to spawn more Sprints since it is an incredibly popular knife and people buy them like hot cakes.

Bottom line : I would absolutely go with the S30V Para 2 and Sage.
There's just one thing wrong with your post. What if the OP gets both s30v para and sage 1, he might forever regret not getting the M390 para and there's just nothing he can do about it anymore without paying ridiculous secondary market prices. OTOH, he can get the blue para, and if it's not for him, sell or trade it later and get both the s30v para and sage 1.

Thing is, if he takes your advice, he might be on an irrevocable course of action. If he gets the blue para and he finds he wants the other 2 more, it's a breeze to rectify.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

dman62 wrote:Gave my S30v para2 away after carrying the M390 awhile. The steel is incredible.
I agree. I really don't want to go back to the S30V version after being spoiled by M390 (and also 20CP). Fortunately, I don't have to.

But then I never was really impressed with S30V and was never satisfied with it.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:There's just one thing wrong with your post. What if the OP gets both s30v para and sage 1, he might forever regret not getting the M390 para and there's just nothing he can do about it anymore without paying ridiculous secondary market prices. OTOH, he can get the blue para, and if it's not for him, sell or trade it later and get both the s30v para and sage 1.

Thing is, if he takes your advice, he might be on an irrevocable course of action. If he gets the blue para and he finds he wants the other 2 more, it's a breeze to rectify.
There's nothing wrong with my post. It's my opinion as to what I think he should do in deciding between the above knives. If he wants to go with the M390 Para 2 in blue G10 then cool. That's a great steel on a great knife. I just feel that he (or anyone new to these premium steels) would benefit greatly by going with the "standard" S30V Para 2 (which is fantastic in it's own right) and see how awesome it is. And also getting a second knife (Sage) all for the same cost as the M390 Para 2.

And if he is thrilled with the S30V Para 2 then he can look to the many Sprints that seem to come out every few months. Even if the "Playschool Blue" w/ M390 combo is unavailable. It seems almost certain that a comparable steel (with hopefully a better G10 color) will be on it's way soon. Then he would really appreciate the superior steels that Sprints are known for. Also , if something should happen to the S30V Para 2 it would be no prob to replace it since they are easy to find and almost half the price of the M390 Para 2.

But again , there is no "lose" situation here. All (3) knives are great. I have a feeling that once he holds and uses the Para 2 (any Para 2) he will be quite hooked. Like the rest of us.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:There's just one thing wrong with your post. What if the OP gets both s30v para and sage 1, he might forever regret not getting the M390 para and there's just nothing he can do about it anymore without paying ridiculous secondary market prices. OTOH, he can get the blue para, and if it's not for him, sell or trade it later and get both the s30v para and sage 1.

I agree with what Chuck said. Preserve your options by getting the sprint now. And M390 is extremely good steel. "Insanely great," as Steve Jobs used to say.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Whatever else may be true, S30V is not the gold standard of knife steel. It is an excellent choice, and Spyderco does an excellent job with S30V, but S30V is not a peer to S90V, M390, 20CP, 204P, Elmax or a half a dozen other choices. I personally would go with the sprint M390 Para2 any day. $190 only seems expensive now...it won't soon. If someone doesn't have a line on a 204P or 20CP version, this is the next best choice. :spyder:
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

JNewell wrote:Whatever else may be true, S30V is not the gold standard of knife steel. It is an excellent choice, and Spyderco does an excellent job with S30V, but S30V is not a peer to S90V, M390, 20CP, 204P, Elmax or a half a dozen other choices. I personally would go with the sprint M390 Para2 any day. $190 only seems expensive now...it won't soon. If someone doesn't have a line on a 204P or 20CP version, this is the next best choice. :spyder:
I feel that S30V most certainly is the gold "standard" of blade steels. You are talking about S90V , M390 and 20CP which are considered premium "top shelf" steels. NOT "standard" steel like S30V. They are all above and beyond S30V in most respects and their price dictates that. I just meant that S30V is considered to be the industry standard for quality blade steel. I'm aware it is not on the same level as S90V , M390 or 204P and 20CP.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Thanks for the reply's. Starting to lean towards the M390. Blue is my favorite color. 2 questions about 390. What steel is it compared too edge retention and ease of sharpening?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Wolverine666 wrote:There's nothing wrong with my post. ...
Any suggestion that reduces the possible future courses of action with no visible benefits over another course of action, can only be a "lose" situation.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Any suggestion that reduces the possible future courses of action with no visible benefits over another course of action, can only be a "lose" situation.
Haha. Classic. Talking to you is like talking to the wall. But your responses aren't as good :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Wolverine666 wrote:Haha. Classic. Talking to you is like talking to the wall. But your responses aren't as good :)
How can a suggestion that reduces possible courses of action without any benefits be a win-win? Obviously, since you can't support your position, you resort to a personal attack. Now that is classic.

Your position just doesn't have any upsides. It's not even more cost effective, just because you're hating on the blue.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

If you like blue, I'd say go for the M390. Then just save a few bucks a week, and before you know it, you'll have enough for the Sage also.
:bug-red-white
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

gbelleh wrote:If you like blue, I'd say go for the M390. Then just save a few bucks a week, and before you know it, you'll have enough for the Sage also.
This is a great idea!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Wolverine666 wrote:I feel that S30V most certainly is the gold "standard" of blade steels. You are talking about S90V , M390 and 20CP which are considered premium "top shelf" steels. NOT "standard" steel like S30V. They are all above and beyond S30V in most respects and their price dictates that. I just meant that S30V is considered to be the industry standard for quality blade steel. I'm aware it is not on the same level as S90V , M390 or 204P and 20CP.
"Gold standard," at least to me, means "top," "best." S30V is great stuff, especially done by Spyderco, but it's quite a few steps down from a lot of steels that are not that hard to find these days (like M390).
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I received my M390 Para 2 yesterday, and I'm already considering trading my S30V Para 2. This blue M390 is awesome! I would definitely get it!
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

JNewell wrote:"Gold standard," at least to me, means "top," "best." S30V is great stuff, especially done by Spyderco, but it's quite a few steps down from a lot of steels that are not that hard to find these days (like M390).
M390 is the "cream of the crop" . No question about it. Maybe S30V is the "silver standard". Haha.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:How can a suggestion that reduces possible courses of action without any benefits be a win-win? Obviously, since you can't support your position, you resort to a personal attack. Now that is classic.

Your position just doesn't have any upsides. It's not even more cost effective, just because you're hating on the blue.
My initial post stated my OPINION and listed why I feel the way I feel about this topic. Siting more than one benefit. So when someone like you says that there's something wrong with my post then I will most certainly defend my thoughts and feelings on the matter. Just because I disagree with your "ways" doesn't make me your enemy ya know.

Also , The wall comment was a joke. So lighten up Chucky. Hahaha.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Don't laugh, I almost wrote exactly that (silver standard). ;) Silver is (was...) lawful tender, fully "good stuff." But gold, well, gold is/was gold... :D Nothing wrong with silver. As I keep saying, I was fully content with ATS-34 back in the '90s and everything else since then is pure gravy. Or something like that. :D
Wolverine666 wrote:M390 is the "cream of the crop" . No question about it. Maybe S30V is the "silver standard". Haha.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

JNewell wrote:Don't laugh, I almost wrote exactly that (silver standard). ;) Silver is (was...) lawful tender, fully "good stuff." But gold, well, gold is/was gold... :D Nothing wrong with silver. As I keep saying, I was fully content with ATS-34 back in the '90s and everything else since then is pure gravy. Or something like that. :D
Yes , ATS-34 and it's American equivalent 154CM were my favorites for years. In fact , I still have a soft spot for 154CM. It's a great value when you look at what you get for the price. I love my Manix 2 dearly and it has a hollow ground 154CM blade. One of my very favorites.
Mystro

Post by Mystro »

"playschool blue", Really? I thought the PM2 m390 was called "blue steel" or "blue saber".