I hate my Para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

I hate my Para 2

Post by Evil D »

I know, crazy huh? It's bitter sweet when you realize you might have found the perfect knife for your needs. A couple years ago, i was having fun buying up knives and trying them out left and right. Granted, many of them didn't stay around long and were sold or traded in because they weren't what i needed. I went through a few very solid knives to get to this point...the Manix 2, Sage 1, a couple Delicas, Caly 3 ZDP, Centofante 4...all fantastic knives and some of them i did keep. The down side is that i feel like i've hit a brick wall with this 20CP Para 2. I don't have any intention to carry anything else unless the Yojimbo 2 gets a sprint run someday and/or if it's ever back in stock. I keep seeing all these new models come along, and some of them are interesting but they just don't do anything for me in comparison.

I still want a ZDP Manbug but that's a long way off. I'd like to get a Jester sprint too but mainly because i wanna swap the handle with my ZDP Ladybug so my EDC combo both has gray G10. It's times like this when it really shows that i'm a user and not a collector.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Oh yeh. Takes me a few minutes to decide between the blue and the grey to decide which one goes in the pocket everyday but the gray got chosen today.

mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I loved the 20CP version but I find the M390 to be quite a bit better so I prefer to carry that one even though I don't much care for the color. Maybe it's just my technique (or lack thereof) but for some reason I just find it easier to make M390 sharper and it holds really well. Super easy to touch up also. I suppose I'll eventually do a blade swap so I can have M390 with the gray scales I prefer.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think the CTS-204P is going to be a great one as well. You are going to have a really hard time deciding very soon.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Slash

Post by Slash »

green>gray
you'll soon switch up.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I feel your pain, bro. The Caly SB has sapped most of my desire to buy and try other knives. When the 204P DARK GREEN Para2 arrives that just might be the last nail in the coffin.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

It is a great problem to have, isn't it, Evil? Unfortunately, I can't carry the Para2 in my suit pocket at work very easily, so I end up carrying my Para2 in the evenings and on weekends. I've got my Paras in individual Spyderco folding cases, so I just reach for a random one and drop it in the pocket.

The M390 is my current fave - that steel is absolutely amazing. I may try to reprofile it this weekend - this could change my attitude. :cool:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
cckw

Post by cckw »

Actually, I have not been able to articulate it quite so clearly. But I am of the same mindset. In thread about other knives, I always seem to put yes it's OK but it's not a para, or other similar things. I posted it enough times that I made it a point to stop saying that before someone else told me to stop saying it.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

get a perrin PPT, I bet that would go straight to the left pocket. And yah, supersteel paras RULE
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

xceptnl wrote:I think the CTS-204P is going to be a great one as well. You are going to have a really hard time deciding very soon.
Slash wrote:green>gray
you'll soon switch up.
Haha yes, and the orange too.
Sequimite wrote:I feel your pain, bro. The Caly SB has sapped most of my desire to buy and try other knives. When the 204P DARK GREEN Para2 arrives that just might be the last nail in the coffin.
The SB caly too, makes the decision harder.

Great times!!! :D
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I've noticed that some folks are carrying it IWB at the 4:00 o'clock position. I would think this would hide quite well under a suit-coat, or even with no coat as long as the shirt is pulled out a inch or two for slack. That's the same way folks carry their j-frames to church.
And, yes, I love my 20CP Para2.

My older son just made me a gift of a BM 755 MPR which is a sub-3" blade in M390, an excellent super-steel. G10 and titanium. Good news and bad news. It isn't sharp, and I have no sharpening system.

People suggest the Spyderco Sharpmaker, so I'm apt to buy this set. I guess I should get the diamond sticks also in order to sharpen the 20CP, CPM-M4, m390 and 154 that I have here.
Sugguestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Sonny
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Sonny wrote:I've noticed that some folks are carrying it IWB at the 4:00 o'clock position. I would think this would hide quite well under a suit-coat, or even with no coat as long as the shirt is pulled out a inch or two for slack. That's the same way folks carry their j-frames to church.
And, yes, I love my 20CP Para2.

My older son just made me a gift of a BM 755 MPR which is a sub-3" blade in M390, an excellent super-steel. G10 and titanium. Good news and bad news. It isn't sharp, and I have no sharpening system.

People suggest the Spyderco Sharpmaker, so I'm apt to buy this set. I guess I should get the diamond sticks also in order to sharpen the 20CP, CPM-M4, m390 and 154 that I have here.
Sugguestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Sonny
Sonny,

I don't know about the 20CP, but the regular Sharpmaker rods work fine on M390 and 154CM. I imagine they'll also work fine on the CPM-M4, which I have heard sharpens pretty easily for such a super steel. The diamond rods would be good if you need to reprofile any steel, since they cut much faster than the brown rods.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I'm in the same boat Evil...

The only folder I enjoy slightly more than the gray PM2 is the blue one! :) I like the blue G10 better, and M390 seems easier to sharpen, with +- the same great edge retention as 20CP.

Between those two the others don't stand a chance. Today I have the 20CP in my pocket.

I'm happy and sad about it at the same time...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The Para 2 is the most perfect knife for me too. Trying to put together a review for another knife so its not in my pocket these few days.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Bapple

Post by Bapple »

I had the same problem also, so I just went straight to the top and started carrying my S90V Para 2. The S90V version of the Para 2 is the only version I have 2 of, 1 to use and 1 as a backup. I have all of the others as well, M390, S30V, 20CP, the CTS-XHP and 204P both on order.

Not sure it is possible to knock this S90 version from my pocket, but who knows. The Para 2 is the quintessential EDC IMO, and with the supersteels, just takes it to the next level.

We got it rough with these types of problems, HA!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I am a user as well. Most of the sprints and what-not don't interest me. I am always in search of
the next great knife combination while picking up those that I don't have yet, but I have to have
a reason to get one. Sometimes I try to talk myself into NEEDING a new one, but I carry every
knife at I have in a regular fashion. Well I do have a couple that are assigned to a finger quik
open gun vault, bedside, truck visor etc, but I haven't ever (yet) bought one just to have for the
collection. (Note that I said yet)
STWesterner

Post by STWesterner »

I'd just like to second the OP's first pos,t the grey para really is the best all around bang for your buck it's got 3rd. generation PM technology which offers a finer edge and better toughness vs s90v's 1st gen, and 20CP has the same chemical make up as s90v making it KING of utilitarian steels for now, i also like the g-10 as it makes for a less expensive user vs CF and i'm not afraid to use it. three thumbs up for this dude!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Since I got out of paying shipping on mine I think it came out about $90 more than my DLC version was and that's considering I got it long after it was discontinued so I paid a bit more than they were going for when they came out. Yeah I could have bought another knife for that much but I tend to stick to one primary EDC so it was worth it for me. What I need now is just other knives offered in this steel, then I might buy and carry something else. If the Yojimbo 2 gets this steel there's gonna be a war in my pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David