Spyderco shot themselves in the foot with the Para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rogcohen

Spyderco shot themselves in the foot with the Para 2

Post by Rogcohen »

Because this is the ideal knife. I haven't posted in a long time, but still come by to lurk. No knife by any maker has grabbed me enough to buy it after the para 2. The only knives I've been tempted by is other para 2s.

So congratulations to Spyderco, but you may have made something too good.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I was all about the Manix 2 for a good while until I got my Para 2 sprints. I still enjoy the Manix 2, but when I look back at my carrying history since I got my Paras, I have hardly carried my Manix 2 sprint. Heck, maybe it's the newness of the Paras for me. In any case, right now I am digging them more than any of my other blades, save for the Chapparall.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Well, I guess all their other knives will be discontinued, because one size fits all... Of course that's my tongue-in-cheek way of saying that everyone has their preferences and needs, and there is no "One Best Knife". I'd be closer to agreeing about the PM2 if it were available in SE. Closer, but I'd still prefer the Stretch.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Personally, I think the Para2s are more dangerous than heroin.

Just one more...just one more...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

phillipsted wrote:Personally, I think the Para2s are more dangerous than heroin.

TedP
+1

That's so true. I just bought my third M390 Para2 today. :spyder:
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

BAL

Post by BAL »

I am one of those people that carries several knives at any given time, but
the Para2 or Millie is always one of them.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

I must agree. :spyder: Para 2 is the best EDC knife ever made. I have basic satin black G10 version and I absolutely love it :)
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

It still has the compression lock that I don't like and the weird shaped grip. Always thought the blade was great but they failed the correct the two biggest drawbacks.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

No matter what Spyderco comes up with, somebody is bound to complain. :p
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

Wildernest Survivor wrote:+1

That's so true. I just bought my third M390 Para2 today. :spyder:
I don't have any sprints yet (due to monetary considerations...) but I'm sure I'll crack sooner or later.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Is this the Spyderco knifed themselves in the foot with the Para2 thread?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:No matter what Spyderco comes up with, somebody is bound to complain. :p
I won't buy any more Para2s until they add a Flux Capacitor, preferably in S90v steel. Otherwise the knife is fundamentally flawed. :cool:

TedP
-F1

Post by -F1 »

There's nothing wrong with what kgriggs8 said. I'm no great fan of the CL either. Its popularity (on this forum, at least) sways my preference not the slightest.

Is someone objectively wrong, another objectively right, in this case? Give me a break.

I really hate sacred cows. The proof that there is no "One Best Knife" is that Spyderco makes many different models, and many of them other than the PM2 sell just fine.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

phillipsted wrote:Personally, I think the Para2s are more dangerous than heroin.

TedP
The **** price doesn't help either. It's right there at the breaking point that makes it too easy to pull the trigger.
cckw

Post by cckw »

I love the para2. I'm not the biggest fan of the compression lock. (I like the frame lock even less by the way) I prefer the axis lock that BM uses over any other. But the Para2 is still my all time favorite pocket knife
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I'm waiting for the M4 Para 2 to buy my first.
I do have a Para 1 by the way, got it when first came out, many years of abuse on that sucker.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

kgriggs8 wrote:It still has the compression lock that I don't like and the weird shaped grip. Always thought the blade was great but they failed the correct the two biggest drawbacks.
I tend to agree. I think that the comp lock needs some work (the Junior's comp lock was better) and I find that the ergos are a bit off. I am thinking about making some slight mods to my 20CP Para2 to make it more comfortable in my hand.
On the hunt for...
BAL

Post by BAL »

Heck the compression lock is my favorite and the ergo's are as good as it gets to me.
That's why they make so many.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

The P2 is my favorite folding knife also. A big part of the reason is the compression lock. I love the way the blade swings open and closed so freely but locks up almost as solid as a fixed blade. I sometimes wish the lock was a little easier to release, but that is a very minor quibble and it probably is safer the way it is now. Also, I'm not a fan of S30V but thanks to the sprints, I don't have to put up with that to EDC this awesome blade.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Mjolnir74

Post by Mjolnir74 »

I agree with the op. I really have lost interest in other knives since this design came out. I get every sprint or exclusive that comes along. I wouldn't hold my breath on them modifying anything on this design.